Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa's Out of Surgery!

Hi everyone, this is Lisa's daughter Sarah,
    I just wanted to let you all know that mom is doing really well, her surgery took about 11 hours, but that was mostly due to a technical difficulty at the hospital, not any physical issues. Everything went as well as could be hoped for with something like this! She came out of surgery around 6:30, and we were able to visit her at 7:30. She was a little loopy on painkillers, but in good spirits and doing great. We were excited to hear that the doctors think they were able to get her from a 60% curve down to 20%, which was more than we'd hoped was possible. Also, they did not have to remove any ribs, and were able to use an abdominal incision to go in from the front, which will mean her recovery will be much less difficult than had they had to go in under the ribcage. She's spending the night in ICU tonight, and will hopefully be moved to a regular room tomorrow. More updates later,

Sarah
    Lisa MS
    age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
    Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
    Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
    Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Sarah,

Thanks so much for the update. I've been thinking of your Mum & her family all day (my time). It's great to hear that everything went well. Those painkillers send a lot of people a little loopy, but they do a pretty good job controlling the pain. Hope your Mum's resting comfortably. Recovery's not easy, but gets better every day - it's all up from here. And how fantastic that her surgeon got such great correction.

Best wishes to you all, and thanks again for the update. I'll keep an eye out in case you're able to keep us posted on your Mum's progress. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

Comment

Wonderful news, thank you Sarah!

What a great correction! She will be thrilled with that. So glad it's finally over for her and now she can put her energy into recovery.

We would love further updates if it's not too much trouble.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Sarah,

Thank you so much for the update. I am so happy to hear how well Lisa did. I kept thinking of you and your mom last night hoping that I wasn't missing a phone call from you! Give your mom my best and tell her congratulations!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

All I can say is YAY!!

Mary Ellen

Comment

Thank you Sarah for the update. What a great correction, she'll be very happy about that!

Give her our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Brad
            Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
            Still have 57 degree curve
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
            Preop xray (with brace on)
            Postop xray

Comment

Wonderful news! So glad to hear it!! My best wishes!! Take care!
              Lynn -30.... something
              DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
              At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
              At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
              Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
              UW Madison, WI Hospital
              **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

That's a fantastic correction! Hang in there-the next few days may not be much fun, but it only gets better. You're in my prayers. =)
                Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
                Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
                Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
                www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Sarah for letting us know about Lisa. We are all family here... and we worry... So happy things went well and that she's in good spirits. She'll have some rough days, but eventually it will all be good! Hugs to you and your family.

JoAnn

Comment

Yay for Lisa. What wonderful news. I wish her well as she recovers. Thanks for the update Sarah
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                    X