Hey WNCmom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary Ellen,

I keep forgetting to post here(or running out of time, or having my computer crash!)...but I've been following all your updates. I'm so relieved for you that Sidney's op went well. I guess it's kind of redundant to say again, but WOW he is doing well!! And it's all up from here

Best wishes to you both.

Comment

Hi Mary Ellen

Just want you to know I'm still thinking of you and reading when I can. So glad to hear it's been a good recovery for you and that Sidney is out of hospital and you can all now start your journey towards going back home.

Wishing you the best

Love Lisa
      Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Comment

Sidney 8 days post-op

Hi all--

We had a full day of rest here at the RMDH (a quiet and relaxing place) before heading back to the hospital for a checkup with the surgeon before heading back home to NC. All is well, although for a few minutes we were in a panic waiting for blood lab results. When Sidney was discharged, his hemoglobin was low, and Dr. Cahill said that if it was any lower, he would have to be readmitted overnight for a blood tranfusion. We all breathed a sigh of relief when the labs came back and showed that the hemoglobin was up.

So we are good to go for the plane ride and looong day of travel tomorrow. Our "excursion" to the hospital took all morning, so it was a good practice run for an even longer day tomorrow. Sidney still has a little swelling of ankles and belly. He is uncomfortable sitting for long periods, although this discomfort is mitigated if he is destracted by a book, a movie, or a computer. He still walks very stiffly and gingerly, and I understand this is also common until three weeks or so. (I add this so anyone whose child is facing surgery will know this is not out of the ordinary).

Oh--and the post-op T curve was measured today--it's about 17 degrees. My husband, who has mild scoliosis, probably has a curve larger than that. His has never been measured.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Great news.

It will just get better and better.

Best regards,
          sharon
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Big Difference

Hi Mary Ellen,
            Just reading through some of your posts as it helps for me to know what might come next in the recovery road, although I've noticed that Sidney has progressed WAY further than Tahlia in a shorter space of time. Like walking within 48 hours and off PCA pump and only on oral meds in 2 days. OMG - I think that's amazing. Tahlia is still on her PCA as well as taking oral meds although they weaned her of ketamine after about Day 3. It's now 5 days post-op and the physios have had her sitting up twice so far (once per day and gradually will try to extend this each day). But that's as far as we've gotten. Maybe they're going easier on her because of her reduced lung function and prior lung collapse or something!! But I think it's amazing fast how Sidney has progressed.

Would be interested to know what others think about the difference in post-op recovery and the exectations different staff obviously have for patients in different hopsitals/states/countries!!

Glad it's all going well Mary Ellen (and good luck with those poos)

Lisa
            Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Comment

Mary Ellen,

I'm just thrilled that the surgery's had such a fantastic result & Sidney is progressing SO SO well! No doubt he will recover in even greater leaps & bounds from the comfort of home, when he gets there. Man...I can't believe he's on so few painkillers! Best wishes for his continued recovery - & take care of yourself, too

--

Lisa,

Tahlia's recovery sounds a WHOLE lot more like how my prior 2 have gone. Which is why I'm just blown away by Sidney's progress! lol. I had some reduced lung capacity both times, but not a collapsed lung. I know the going is tough & slow, but she actually sounds like she's doing GREAT. As she gets stronger, the PT will get a little more challenging - sitting a little longer, standing, even walking soon! They will usually time such PT sessions to coincide with the peak of the pain meds' effect, so she won't be in too much pain. The being exhausted / sleeping lots is very, very normal. Besides the huge trauma that her body's had, the painkillers & residues of anaesthetic drugs in her system have strong sedative effects.....but, sleeping's a great way to let the body rest & heal And I'm really glad to hear that you're getting some better sleep yourself, away from the hospital.

All the best to you both. Take care.

Comment

Sidney's home

It was a 9-hour day of traveling, but we're back at home. Sidney handled the two plane rides and two car rides pretty well, but not without discomfort; he took his two percoset doses back to back instead of spaced out. We found a wheelchair in the airport to work better than we thought it would for him, and the design of the plane seat made all the difference when it came to comfort--one was okay, the other not nearly so good. He's now quite comfortable in a recliner at home.

He does seem to be doing pretty well. In response to your comments, Lisa, I will say that the PICU nurses at Shriner's really did expect Sidney to sit up the first day. If he hadn't had such a strong reaction to the oxycontin, which made him really groggy and unstable on his feet, I bet they would have insisted he walk the first day, too. I think they had higher expectations than the surgeon. Also, because his lung was slightly collapsed, they really didn't want him in a prone position.

Since the enema, he still hasn't had the big "poo," and is on stool softeners. It's tough, because they've also prescribed iron pills for him, and that causes constipation. Dr. Cahill said to call if it hasn't happened by Monday, so the pressure is on! As a family, we typically eat a whole foods, high fiber diet (think beans and brown rice), so maybe now that we're back home with what his system is more used to, things will start moving. It's amazing how focused we become on these basic bodily functions!

Lisa, Tahlia sounds like she's progressing well. You're still in the tough part, and soon all this will be behind you. She has been through a lot, and I'm sure she is taking the time her body needs to recover. Does she have much swelling? I think Sidney still has some in his lower extremities.

Do keep us posted.

Mary Ellen

Comment

I am amazed at Sidney's recovery thus far. A 9 hour trip home and he's sitting comfortably in a recliner! You must be incredibly relieved.

As for the big poo, I think being able to fully relax at home (can you really relax at hospital?) as well as the foods he's used to, may be just what he needs for his digestive system to get back to normal.

I wish you all get a good sleep tonight!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glad to hear you all are home safe and sound. Sounds like he did just great coming home, too!

I think he will continue to improve rapidly--something about being in familiar surroundings!

How much solid food is he eating now?

Comment

He is eating anything he wants at this point, but we are emphasizing fiber and fruit juices--anything to get things moving. Trying to stay away from things like white pasta and cheese, which tend to stop up the system. He's had no pain meds today, so I'm hoping that will help.

Comment

Originally posted by WNCmom View Post
                        He is eating anything he wants at this point, but we are emphasizing fiber and fruit juices--anything to get things moving. Trying to stay away from things like white pasta and cheese, which tend to stop up the system. He's had no pain meds today, so I'm hoping that will help.
                        That is wonderful! I'm so glad for you all.

Btw, I wanted to let you know that we've found a product called fruit-eze that you might want to check out. My dd's always had some constipation issues, but this is a product made from prunes, prune juice, dates, and raisins. She takes it daily now and hasn't had any problems for quite some time.

I'm not a salesman for it, but I think it's great stuff.

Hope Sidney's up to Thanksgiving dinner! All mine are interested in is the pie!

Marian

Comment

Originally posted by pmsmom View Post
                          ... I wanted to let you know that we've found a product called fruit-eze that you might want to check out.
                          Marian,

I'm sure it's great stuff, and I can't quite put my finger on *why*, but the name "fruit-eze" is just sort of disturbing ... (shudder ;-)

And Mary Ellen, I'm still just cracking up about "the big poo". No doubt these kids would be MORTIFIED to know what's discussed about them - LOL! Glad to hear he's doing so fantastically!

Best regards,
                          Pam
                          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam--

I've had similar thoughts--I think he WOULD be mortified if he knew what I was telling folks. But I have been more discreet about a few things....

In the BM department, there was a small bit of progress yesterday, but things are still going slow; I know he's still pretty stopped up. Amazingly, he's had no pain meds in 48 hours, and wakes up only once during the night for help getting out of bed to go to the bathroom. Is it going too well? I'm beginning to wonder if I should be nervous about this.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Mary Ellen ...

I can't believe I'm even linking to this (after I never wanted to talk about it in the FIRST place - lmao), but I wouldn't worry yet ...

After waking up barking for food, my cell phone and coffee - and training for a 5K a few days after I got home, I had, um, issues. Note I posted this TWELVE days after I had surgery.

TWELVE.

My story, if you dare ;-).

Regards,
                              Pam
                              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                                Marian,

I'm sure it's great stuff, and I can't quite put my finger on *why*, but the name "fruit-eze" is just sort of disturbing ... (shudder ;-)

And Mary Ellen, I'm still just cracking up about "the big poo". No doubt these kids would be MORTIFIED to know what's discussed about them - LOL! Glad to hear he's doing so fantastically!

Best regards,
                                Pam
                                I guess it's called fruit-eze b/c, well, you know.

But it is all natural and helps keep the laxatives away.

Not too bad tasting too!

Marian

Comment

Working...
                                X