Hey WNCmom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidney's 6-month follow-up

In two days it will be 6-months since Sidney's surgery, and we've just got back from Philadelphia Shriners and his follow-up appointment with the surgeon who did the fusion (T2-L4). All seems to be going very well. His fused curves are 17T and 13L. Despite my worries, x-rays show his pelvis, while not yet quite straight, has leveled significantly since surgery. That was good to hear and see. Dr. Cahill has told us all along that posture issues often take 6-9 months to resolve.

Most restrictions have been lifted. He can lift, twist, bend, carry a backpack, and do most sports. The ones he's not allowed to do he wasn't interested in anyway. Although he easily hiked 9 miles with us on Easter Sunday, he's not had much upper body activity, and he's ready for more.

Sidney is still Risser 0 (he's 13, and 6 ft. tall--very thin), so there's more growth to come. We'll go back in 6 months and then every year thereafter until he's 21.

When I think back on the last 18 or so months it just makes me want to thank you all again for being there. I've learned so much and felt so supported through the surgery and afterward.

Mary Ellen

Comment

• Mary Ellen,

So glad your son is doing well.

Best regards,
      sharon
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• thanks for the update. That's a great correction! you must feel better to see radiological evidence that the pelvis is straightening. I'm glad restrictions were lifted (as I'm sure he is). Can he ride roller coasters?
        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• That is great news, Mary Ellen.

I'm really happy for Sidney (and you!).

He is so tall - very cool!
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

• Can he ride roller coasters?
            Jill--

We did not ask about that. Since we'll see him again in November, we asked specifically about activities Sidney will be doing this summer: trail mountain biking, backpacking, rock climbing, swimming/diving, kayaking, ultimate frisbee, even a zip line over the lake at camp--all are okay. We rarely go to theme parks and it's not on our schedule for this summer. Dr. Cahill told us he preferred Sidney not dive from a high board (diving from poolside and jumping in feet first if it's deep enough is okay). Motorcycles, snowmobiles, trampolines, tackle football, ice hockey (skating is okay) and jumping on horseback are "never" activities.

The sheet of restriction guidelines from Shriners lists rollercoasters okay at 2 years post-op. I will be sure to ask when we go in November.

Mary Ellen
            Last edited by WNCmom; 05-13-2009, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Glad to hear Sidney's doing so well. Time really flies.
              Bethany

Comment

Working...
              X