scoliosis with 67 degrees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essi ...

As I said, if you're feeling better, fantastic. Really. Pain sucks (this I know).

Even better if your curve is truly stable: I had a stable adult curve (that began as a JIS curve - dx'd at age 10), as well, and one that (by normal standards) *should* have progressed. The only reason I had surgery is my pain was increasing ... not my curve.

Fingers crossed you avoid that aspect!

Best regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

txmarinemom,

I was just wondering how old you were when you got your surgery?
      Surgery is not off the table for me, I might have to get it later in life if pain becomes a major problem. I was just thinking that I might develope pain over the coming years, that's what scares me.

Thanks.
      Last edited by Essi; 11-21-2008, 06:28 PM. Reason: don't worry, I think I figured it out from your sig.
      Attended the Scroth Clinic in the UK; June/July 2006.
      Revisited the Scroth Clinic in the UK; November 2008.
      AIS has stabilized due to treatment.

TEAM SOS FOR LIFE (:

Comment

Originally posted by Essi View Post
        Surgery is not off the table for me, I might have to get it later in life if pain becomes a major problem. I was just thinking that I might develope pain over the coming years, that's what scares me.
        Essi, I hope with all my heart you NEVER have to consider surgery. For a moving curve, pain - or any other reason.

Yes ... you figured it out, I think: I was dx'd with a ±35° curve at age 10 (which surely developed before then), and held off on surgery (although I'd had serious back pain since age 10-11) until it just got to be too much.

Try not to be scared about the *possible* pain, or the decision (if you do need to consider it) to have surgery ... you'll know. I can't even begin to explain how you will (if it comes to that), but you just ~will.

The ONLY reason I'm glad I held off doing anything for 29 years (after diagnosis) is the technique wasn't there. I'd rather have lived with the pain than what the surgery would have taken from my life 10 years ago. My pain tolerance (extremely high, BTW) ended at just the right time for me. And techniques are improving all the time.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,
        Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

I suspect that pain or lack of it has to do with more than
          the Cobb angle. Since I expressed an interest in scoliosis
          here, I have 3 or more patients a day with scoliosis. Yesterday
          I saw someone with an 85 degree T-L curve, "no pain" (just
          interested in conditioning and if possible, preventing progression)
          and someone with an 18 degree compensatory lumbar curve with
          "5/10 pain". Is it the degree of rotation? Associated disc pathology?
          Other factors? Some people with relatively small curves report
          improved pain by addressing sacroiliac or hip issues. I had a email
          from Dr. Brooks (D.O. for Martha Hawes) yesterday and he has a
          'protege' in our area I'm thinking of suggesting my daughter see. I
          have no idea what 'bodywork' is, but supposedly reducing curves
          in an adult from 49 to high 20's is intriguing. Seems hard to imagine
          but I saw the XRays and presentation at the SOSORT meeting in 2007.

Comment

Schroth exercises

You should learn Schroth exercises to start with, If you are in Ottawa or coming to Ottawa You can learn these exercises at the Ottawa &District Physiotherapy 613-233-1235
            Originally posted by scoliotensed View Post
            Hi
            I am 24yrs old. I just met an orthopedic and he confirmed i have scoliosis with 67 degrees
            actually he compared my childhood x-rays and the recent x-rays and said that actually he didnt see much progress in the curve - meaning i am having 65 degrees curves since birth.
            he asked me to meet a physio therapist and asked to practise some exercises.
            according to him surgery is not necessary as my structure is fully grown.

anyone any suggestions on this is greatly appreciated.
            i dont know if i need a surgery or .......

Comment

Originally posted by gardenjen View Post
              I suspect that pain or lack of it has to do with more than
              the Cobb angle. Since I expressed an interest in scoliosis
              here, I have 3 or more patients a day with scoliosis. Yesterday
              I saw someone with an 85 degree T-L curve, "no pain" (just
              interested in conditioning and if possible, preventing progression)
              and someone with an 18 degree compensatory lumbar curve with
              "5/10 pain". Is it the degree of rotation? Associated disc pathology?
              Other factors? Some people with relatively small curves report
              improved pain by addressing sacroiliac or hip issues. I had a email
              from Dr. Brooks (D.O. for Martha Hawes) yesterday and he has a
              'protege' in our area I'm thinking of suggesting my daughter see. I
              have no idea what 'bodywork' is, but supposedly reducing curves
              in an adult from 49 to high 20's is intriguing. Seems hard to imagine
              but I saw the XRays and presentation at the SOSORT meeting in 2007.
              Search the Quackwatch and Schroth thread on here.

Gardenjen, please explain how your "patients", Hawes and your daughter's treatment apply in the same response ... I'm curious.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Guys

Sorry for not updating.
                Had to visit my home country as my mom went through a minor surgery

guys i have a doubt: after going through your conversations, i have noticed that pain would is more terrible than the curve.

I too experience pain day in and day out, but am not sure the degree of pain i undergo.

i get the pain when i eat a lot or eat less. work a lot or no work.

and the worst thing i hate is CONSTIPATION. my pain n constipation are interrelated, they follow each other

Is constipation a common problem for scoliosis????

can any of you tell me if you are also facing any similar symptoms?

once again sorry for the late rply.

peace

Comment

txmarinemom

...based on your signature....looks like you had/have a single curve? I looked at your xrays...the before/after & it almost looks like a double....or do I still have my morning eyes on?! lol Just wondering....Also, how have you been doing w/ everyday tasks? Getting yout shampoo & soap in the shower, washing your hair, getting dressed...going to the bathroom...yada yada. Looks liike you are about 9/10 months post op,right? Hope all is going well for you.....

Lynn
                  Lynn -30.... something
                  DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                  At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                  At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                  Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                  UW Madison, WI Hospital
                  **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Hi
                    I am 24yrs old. I just met an orthopedic and he confirmed i have scoliosis with 67 degrees
                    actually he compared my childhood x-rays and the recent x-rays and said that actually he didnt see much progress in the curve - meaning i am having 65 degrees curves since birth.

u need physio therapy and to see foot consukltant to do with foot alignment they can can advise to weather they can do anymore i am waiting for hospital shoes to align my fett i am fully grown but there r treatments through foot consultantys can i suggest u go gp and ask to sdee foot consultant for foot aligment

Comment

Maryland area provider

hi linda
                      thanks for your advice. i tried the link you gave but unfortunately it says no physician found for my search.( i tried to pick adult scoliosis in maryland area).
                      If you know any doctor in maryland area would be really good.
                      regarding posting in an adoloscent thread, how can I move my post to adult scoliosis thread.
                      Hi - you may want to check out this provider who can assist with information about doctors in your area as well as Schroth which is mentioned in some places in your post: http://www.scoliosissolutions.org/index.html

Comment

58 curve

My daughter has a curve of 58 and doctors have beene after us to do surgery for a while. she is 17. My daughter has something called Dysautonomia and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. We have been putting off surgery because it can worsen her other condition. Has anyone ever heard of this illness? Many kids have scoliosis along with it. I agree that getting more than one opinion is very important.

Comment

Oh I see you mention POTS. I don't recall that the woman on the medical show also had scoliosis but my memory is going. It might have been mentioned.
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi

Hello, try to find a Certified Schroth physiotherapist in your area.

Comment

We liked the schroth clinic in Wisconsin. It is something my dd has to do everyday for 1/2 hour, it helps with posture and lengthening the spine.

I would rec. the therapy to anyone. Just know it takes investment in time and buying equipment to do it at home.

We are lucky that the clinic was helpful in giving directions on how to make the bars...and my dh is handy so the equipment cost was minimal to us.

Schroth is a type of physical therapy based on Katrina Schroth technique.

Out of all the options out there, this one came with plenty of references and after talking to 5 satisfied patients I was content to go.
                              It is recommended to do Schroth in addition to bracing, Schroth prefers rigo cheneau brace. After consulting with an orthotist specializing in bracing he took a look at her double curves and said he could make a brace for her there are no guarantees that it will help stop the curve or correct the curve.
                              Because of this we decided to go with Boston, the one her Orthopedic Surgeon recommended. Teh Schroth clinic stated they could fit her, but if we had any issues we would have to fly across country to get fitted with the Orthotist...and to me that doesn't make sense. I prefer someone closer, who can fix the issues locally.

After a week of intensive PT , she was taller and back muscles looked incredible. I have a folder of pictures here, I will try to scan them.

Whatever you decide to do... research and get references, get 2nd opinions and then just make a decision you can live with.

I haven't posted in awhile, my dad became very ill, and recently passed away so I was kinda walking in a fog. Its been one tough month for our family.
                              age 15
                              Daughter diagnosed at age 13
                              T20 l23 10-09
                              T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
                              T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
                              T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
                              Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
                              Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
                                Hello, try to find a Certified Schroth physiotherapist in your area.
                                don't you need surgery? most dr said that if over 45 or 50 degree, it needs surgery, my daughter is 89 now, from 27 degree, 3 years ago, now she is 12yr young.

Comment

Working...
                                X