No announcement yet.

Back at work and doing great.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats, Chris ... on both the surgical outcome and your outlook.

They're wonderful to read.

Best regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Chris,

Your story gives me HOPE!!! What a positive outcome! I'm going to hang on to the positive stories and outlooks of people like you, Debbe, Ginger, Disc, and many others. THAT will get me through till Nov 17th without canceling the surgery!

Thanks again, everyone, for your "positivity."
      Lisa MS
      age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
      Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
      Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
      Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

Hi Chris WBS!

Hi Chris- wow, I am so amazed at your recovery! Praise God! I'm right behind you in age, and I am encouraged that you were able to return to work so soon! as for the toenails... I've been thinking- can you cross your legs, bringing your foot to your knee? Otherwise, I believe some insurance companies will pay for you to go to a podiatrist every 6 weeks. That's what my mother does, just due to arthritis. anyway- it's wonderful to hear that you've recovered so well. Do you have "after" photos of your Xrays? How good of a correction did you get? I don't check this website regularly, so I may have missed some earlier posts.. thank you for sharing your news! God bless you as you continue to regain your energy and activity! Jamie
        57 years old.
        thoracic curve 68 degrees
        lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
        Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
        Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
        THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Thanks, Jamie. Truthfully, I like the pedicures. My feet have never looked prettier. My hair stylist referred me to her technician who is only 10 minutes from me, so it’s very convenient. I’ll see about getting after photos of my X-rays that I can download when I have my six-month check-up next month. I do have a lot of metal in me. I got little more than a 50% correction with a posterior surgery. But for someone who is approaching 60 more important to me was stopping further progression and alleviating possible obstruction of internal organs. As for work, I have a desk job and my main concern was if I would be able to sit all day. So far I’ve had no problems. If I get a bit stiff, I get up and go for a brief walk. There’s a fitness center here and I plan to start using the treadmill after work since it’s too dark and cold now to walk outdoors. If I can answer any questions or concerns, please let me know. Chris

Comment

Chris, I'm so proud of you! Your posts just make me smile

Comment

Awwwww, JoAnn, you're such a sweetheart.

Comment

You give me hope too, Chris, thank you. Please don't forget to update us from time to time.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Cheers Chris!!!

ChrisWBS:

I knew you could do it. I am 6 years post revision and I am still pain free and gainfully employed(part-time my choice). Without my surgery I never could be working or pain free not to mention slowly getting more snd more breathless from chest deformity. And---the money sure comes handy since my husband's company stopped paying medical benefits for retirees and their spouses.
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thank you, Karen. I prayed for guidance and a successful surgery and my prayers were answered. I continue to pray for healing. This Thanksgiving season I have much for which to be thankful. Chris

Comment

Chris -

I don't know if you remember me, it's been quite some time since I've posted. I just wanted to say how happy I am to hear that your surgery was a success. I remember back when you felt strongly that surgery wasn't for you. I have to admit that I was surprised to read you had surgery. I wish you the best of luck and continued health and healing.
                      Brandi
                      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                      L1-S1
                      Dr. William Lauerman
                      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Chris
                        What a great post! Glad to hear that your surgery was a success. I am also fused to the sacrum and lost flexibility. What type of gadget did you pick up for your boots. I could sure use one.

thanks
                        Maria

Comment

Hi Brandi. Yes, I remember you. I’m sorry to read though that you are facing another surgery to correct flatback. As I recall, you had a rough recovery from your first surgery. Let’s hope your revision will be gentler. Brandi, my decision to have surgery was made when I saw evidence of progression on film from one year to the next. I knew I had a serious problem that had to be dealt with now. And just this weekend when I saw an elderly woman with a severely twisted back hunched over on her cane, I couldn’t help but think that I probably made the wisest decision of my life. Please keep us posted on your upcoming revision surgery.

Maria, I went back to the medical supply store where I picked up my pre-surgery stuff and I came across a dressing aide that is just a long wooden stick with a small metal hook at the end. The hook easily fits through the hole on the zipper pull which enables me to pull up the zippers without bending. If you don’t have a medical supply store near you, check out Walgreens or CVS Pharmacy.

Chris

Comment

Chris

There are several medical supply stores near me. I will definately check it out. Thanks for the info.

Maria

Comment

Yay!

Chris I am so happy for you! You're an inspiration as I face my own surgery and fears of returning to work! Take care!

Comment

Working...
                              X