• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a very interesting approach!

Some folks are just clever.

sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Laura,
      Pectus is a symptom of a connective tissue disorder. Scoliosis may be more common in kids who have a type of or signs of a connective tissue disorder. My son had surgery twice for pectus excavatum, both at Childrens in Phila. The first time the rod was taken out and his chest caved back in. He had surgery the second time with the rod left in but it still was not very successful. There are newer procedures. It all depends on the extent of the disorder. Good luck!

Comment

I am 22. I have scoliosis and pe. I am getting my pe fixed as its affecting my heart and lungs, but I have to have my scoliosis stabilised before I can have my ribs done. If I don't have my spine sorted the pe op could be pointless because my pe could come back with progression of my scoliosis. If that makes sense haha. I noticed my pe when I was 13 and it progressed but I don't think theres one rule for it. Apparently when you get to 16/18 ribs become more solid as the cartilage hardens. Mine are still super flexible so I think thats got some part in it. I don't think there is an answer to any of this as everyone is so different. It's so far from straight forward, and there's a minefield of information!

Comment

Jade

Are you scheduled for surgery? Are the docs saying they want to do this soon? Scoliosis surgery and PE work at the same time?

Try to keep in touch with us, let us know how you are doing.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Pectus in a 14 3/4 boy

Hi to all,

I haven't been on here in a very long time. It has been five years since my Scolio surgery and I came back to do a little searching for some issues I'm currently having. This thread captured my attention because my son will be having Pectus surgery this summer. He does have mild Kyphosis and slight Scoliosis which one doctor describe as Tramatic Scoliosis. My son played travel Hockey for a number of years and suffered from number hits to the head, one of which was sliding straight into the boards hitting it head on. The last hit resulted in a concussion that took him a year to recover and resulted with us deciding not to let him play anymore. We have military healthcare and I ultimately pulled him a placed him with a private pediatrician who diagnosed his Pectus. Our Pediatrician is close friends with Dr. Nuss and we are located just a few miles from CHKD the number one hospital in the world for Pectus surgery. However, since there have been so many changes to our insurance Tricare will approve a second opinion at CHKD but I fear that they would not approve the surgery. My son's measurement is a 2.8 but, he does experience shortness of breath and chest pains periodically. Our surgeon at the Naval Medical Center feels confident that she can get a great correction but here's where my concern jumps high on the Richter Scale, the Naval hospital on sees approximately 5-6 Pectus corrective surgeries a year. I have chosen NOT to get the second opinion at CHKD because first I believe that they will agree that he needs surgery based on the amount of his progression over the past year but I'm certain that Tricare will not approve the surgery at CHKD. I don't want to lose faith in our surgeon over at the Naval Hospital. I feel very confident that she would not have been placed at the head of the Pediatric General Surgery if she didn't have the credentials to be. And yes, I have checked her credentials and questioned her about them already. I had my Scoliosis surgery at the Naval hospital and I could not have asked for a better surgeon or a better out come for beautifully straight spine. As I have read through this thread it seems that the progression of Scolio and Pectus go hand in hand? I'm not sure if a doctor would say the same but I would say that is what I have seen in my son. I would also state on record that multiple hits, the nature of the hits in Hockey triggered what I call the domino effect over the past few years for my son. It has not been fun. Back pain, neck pain, migraines..
            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Pectus in a 14 3/4 boy

Hi to all,

I haven't been on here in a very long time. It has been five years since my Scolio surgery and I came back to do a little searching for some issues I'm currently having. This thread captured my attention because my son will be having Pectus surgery this summer. He does have mild Kyphosis and slight Scoliosis which one doctor describe as Tramatic Scoliosis. My son played travel Hockey for a number of years and suffered from number hits to the head, one of which was sliding straight into the boards hitting it head on. The last hit resulted in a concussion that took him a year to recover and resulted with us deciding not to let him play anymore. We have military healthcare and I ultimately pulled him a placed him with a private pediatrician who diagnosed his Pectus. Our Pediatrician is close friends with Dr. Nuss and we are located just a few miles from CHKD the number one hospital in the world for Pectus surgery. However, since there have been so many changes to our insurance Tricare will approve a second opinion at CHKD but I fear that they would not approve the surgery. My son's measurement is a 2.8 but, he does experience shortness of breath and chest pains periodically. Our surgeon at the Naval Medical Center feels confident that she can get a great correction but here's where my concern jumps high on the Richter Scale, the Naval hospital on sees approximately 5-6 Pectus corrective surgeries a year. I have chosen NOT to get the second opinion at CHKD because first I believe that they will agree that he needs surgery based on the amount of his progression over the past year but I'm certain that Tricare will not approve the surgery at CHKD. I don't want to lose faith in our surgeon over at the Naval Hospital. I feel very confident that she would not have been placed at the head of the Pediatric General Surgery if she didn't have the credentials to be. And yes, I have checked her credentials and questioned her about them already. I had my Scoliosis surgery at the Naval hospital and I could not have asked for a better surgeon or a better out come for beautifully straight spine. As I have read through this thread it seems that the progression of Scolio and Pectus go hand in hand? I'm not sure if a doctor would say the same but I would say that is what I have seen in my son. I would also state on record that multiple hits, the nature of the hits in Hockey triggered what I call the domino effect over the past few years for my son. It has not been fun. Back pain, neck pain, migraines..
              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X