Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mamandcrm View Post
    Hi krbreezin,

what is the site for the MRI that you are looking at? I'm curious--I've talked with our orthopedist about the various new technologies out there for imaging with less radiation but have not heard of this modified MRI. I would like to run it by her. Thanks,
    Looks like I added the wrong link in my previous post. Check this one out http://www.fonar.com/standup.htm and see numbers 3 and 4. I know that there's one located in Melville, NY..not sure where else their machines may be located. They were very helpful to me when I was searching for something other than x rays and seemed very willing to work with me as far as insurance was concerned. As I mentioned before, we're not scheduled to go for a few months. If anyone tries this procedure before we do, good luck and please advise us as to your experience.

Comment

What do you mean???

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
      I'm confused. Does it take 6 months, or years? I'd love to see the long term studies. Surely you have them if you claim such definitives ... ?

Anything is preferable to surgery (on that we can agree), but from what I've seen, there is NO long term proof the Cheneau is any more effective than a Boston, Milwaukee, Spinecor, Providence, Charleston, et al.

In fact ... more curiousity on my part ... if Schroth works so well, why do they supplement with a brace?

Regards,
      Pam
      Do you really not understand why you wouldn't support this therapy with a brace??? You post so many study related threads, I would think even simple logic would help you see why you would support this and many other modes of treatment with a brace. Your knowledge seems very good, I don't know why you don't choose to use it in a more helpful and less confrontational manner. I appreciate the useful info you post, but really!?!

Comment

Originally posted by bbrian35 View Post
        Do you really not understand why you wouldn't support this therapy with a brace??? You post so many study related threads, I would think even simple logic would help you see why you would support this and many other modes of treatment with a brace. Your knowledge seems very good, I don't know why you don't choose to use it in a more helpful and less confrontational manner. I appreciate the useful info you post, but really!?!
        It is not clear that Schroth always included brace therapy. Anyone know? I think that might be a recent tacit admission that PT alone won't hold a curve.

Moreover, perhaps you are unaware that certain alternative treatment modalities including Clear and torso rotation do not include bracing. There are probably others out there that claim all you need is PT (and love presumably). Apologies to the Beatles. I'm guessing you think these non-brace treatments are full of ap-cray, yes?
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I think the PT centers (but not CLEAR) recommend bracing for growth spurts. At least, I know that SEAS does and I believe that Schroth does as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            It is not clear that Schroth always included brace therapy. Anyone know? I think that might be a recent tacit admission that PT alone won't hold a curve.
            I believe they (Schroth) use bracing with the youngsters - but not necessarily with adults. Although, there are some European braces for adults and maybe they do make exceptions - don't know for sure. Different things for different situations maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
              I think the PT centers (but not CLEAR) recommend bracing for growth spurts. At least, I know that SEAS does and I believe that Schroth does as well.
              The torso rotation crowd (of which the main if not only proponent is now deceased) claim bracing in not necessary in those EXACT words...

The late Dr. Mooney wrote:

In most cases the curvature can be reduced. Brief exercises performed twice a week are adequate. Braces are not necessary.
              And I'd like to know exactly when Schroth started to include bracing. I'm guessing it wasn't T minus 90 years.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Wow Pooka-you are absolutely amazing!!!! I should have posted with regard to skeletal maturity. I'm thinking immature skeletal structure plus basic muscle function in response to physiologic stress (ie. exercise)=better to have brace to position skeleton as exercised muscle tissue repairs itself and retains a certain amount of muscle memory. None-the-less, you are certainly not someone who's opinion I value. You are so confrontational that I think you get your kicks here more than you try and help. Nice Job!

Comment

[QUOTE=Pooka1;89645]It is not clear that Schroth always included brace therapy. Anyone know? I think that might be a recent tacit admission that PT alone won't hold a curve.

Rigo, prescribes bracing, not only Schroth.
                  2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
                  Treatment: Cheneau brace
                  2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

[QUOTE=AILEA;89731]
                    Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post

Rigo, prescribes bracing, not only Schroth.
                    Thanks but my question was a little different... Schroth has been around for ~90 years. When did they include bracing along with the PT?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I don't know when Schroth started recommending bracing,.....but I do know that in my last visit with our Schroth physical therapist, she said she would only recommened the RegoCheneau brace because the RC brace works to do what the Schroth exercises do......de-rotate the vertebrae that are rotating.

Maybe the other braces have just been pushing the spine back to where it should be without de-rotating the vertebrae. And maybe that is why they did not recommend bracing before, now that the RC has come along, they do?

Comment

Originally posted by Nim View Post
                        I don't know when Schroth started recommending bracing,.....but I do know that in my last visit with our Schroth physical therapist, she said she would only recommened the RegoCheneau brace because the RC brace works to do what the Schroth exercises do......de-rotate the vertebrae that are rotating.

Maybe the other braces have just been pushing the spine back to where it should be without de-rotating the vertebrae. And maybe that is why they did not recommend bracing before, now that the RC has come along, they do?
                        That sounds reasonable.

What has been published that shows the RC is effective?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

It is very interesting to hear about the Cheneau brace and Schroth method. My daughter (8) just started with the Spinecor brace last November (2009) and just completed the Clear Method 2 week intensive treatment.

I think someone commented that a brace is not recommended by the Clear Method doctors. However, there is one Clear Method doctor in NYC that also does the Spinecor brace. This is why we went to him, to combine the Spinecor brac with the Clear Method.

We started at 25 degrees last June and decided to wait and see. Her curve increased to 35 degrees by mid-October so we decided to move forward with the Spinecor brace (recommended by the orthopedic at Children's hospital). I had never heard of the Cheneau brace. It sounds like there has been some very good results with the Cheneau brace (and maybe combined with the Schroth method).

She measured about 23 degrees in the Spinecor brace (down from 33-35). It sounds like the Cheneau brace would get her to a smaller degree while in the brace. That would be encouraging.

We started the 2 week intensive Clear Method treatment on the 4th (1/4/10) and completed it on the 17th. My daughter was in treatment about 8 hours per day. When we started she measured about 30 degrees out of brace (she had been out of brace for about 48 hours). On the 17th she measured about 23-25 degrees out of brace and about 13-18 degrees in the brace (based on where the measurement is taken).

She will now wear her Spinecor brace 20 hours per day and perform exercises about 2 hours per day. Some of these exercises use weights/equipment that has her spine closer to 5-10 degrees while exercising. Our goal now is to see if we can maintain the improvement. I just wanted to mention that there is at least one Clear Method doctor that does combine the Clear Method with Spinecor bracing. (Dr. Sid in NYC)

Also, during the treatment my daughter was in a scoliosis traction chair that was able to straighten her spine to almost no curve. Based on severity of the curve the traction chair is an option to use at home twice a day, 30 minutes each time. However, after reading this thread it sounds like the cheneau brace could hold the spine almost straight like the traction chair, but do it 23 hours per day. And the cheneau brace is 3 dimensional like the traction chair.

I will probably continue to give the Spinecor and Clear Method a chance this year but the Cheneau brace and Schroth method are sounding very promising. I am new to this forum so please feel free to provide any ideas or suggestions based on the approach we are taking.

Thanks

Comment

This same Luke S from Spinal dynamics is the Orthotist that we consulted with. He looked at my dd's x-rays and didn't think cheneau brace would be successful for her double curve. Now I wonder why he would say that?
                            just wondering why you think only Cheneau brace is de-rotating the spine. The Boston brace does that to.

I sure hope something works for us!

I often wondered if its the brace and PT that is the key.

We researched so many things my head was spinning. I guess we will try this conservative method and pray for a good outcome. In brace she is corrected down to 11 degrees. I find she is struggling with PT and finding time to do it.
                            age 15
                            Daughter diagnosed at age 13
                            T20 l23 10-09
                            T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
                            T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
                            T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
                            Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
                            Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Orthotists for RSC Brace?

Same here. I just started to learn everything about Scoliosis since my duaghter got diagnosed 3 weeks ago. So much information make me confused. It looks to me that RSC brace is very promising. But it looks like that most people here go to orthotist Luke S for RSC brace, since I am at California so Grant Wood would be more convenient. I wonder ii there any difference between their braces? why it says that "Grant Wood is the only authorized orthotist at USA" on the web site? What about Luke S.?

EddieMom
                              daughter 13 diagnosed 9/15/2010
                              T 24, L 26

Comment

Hi EddieMom, I am not sure of the answer to that but I think it may be because Grant Wood has the braces manufactured in Europe at whatever site holds the registered trademark for "Rigo-Cheneau System," and does not deviate from the RCS specs. Luke makes and modifies his braces here for each client. He also trained with Dr. Rigo. To me, it's just "verbal-eze".
                                Last edited by mamandcrm; 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM.
                                mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
                                Providence night brace, increased to 35*
                                Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
                                14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                                11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                                Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
                                latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
                                currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Working...
                                X