No announcement yet.

Cheneau Light brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Concerned Dad, no I don't mind sharing. The 36 degrees was out of brace. She had been wearing the Providence for 5+ months I think. Her correction in the Providence was documented at 6 degrees, but then the orthotist adjusted it some more after the x-ray, and I would guess that he got it down to under 5 degrees (he was shooting for 0, but of course we didn't re-xray for that).

Yes, the 35 degrees was our worst scenario and completely unexpected by everyone, not so much the progression necessarily, but the magnitude of it. We switched to the Rigo-Cheneau because the night time bracing obviously was a bust. We are quite happy with the RC (comfort and results) but the truth is we didn't specifically seek it out--she needed a full-time brace and our local ortho just happens to be one of the few people who does it.
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

I realize I keep switching between 35 and 36 degrees as her prior measurement. That's because it was measured by two different doctors at 2 different hospitals who each got a slightly different measurement...
      mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
      11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
      latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

did you just "happen" to check it out of brace with the Providence? I mean, with a 5 degree inbrace measurement you must have felt pretty comfortable. More likely, your orthotist or doctor had experience with this issue.

That 36* must have really thown you for a loop.

I think this may really point to the importance of an out of brace xray. I dont think the Spinecor folks promote out of brace xrays, perhaps because it is a less aggressive brace and if the curve was going to progress you would see it in-brace also. (maybe not to the extent of a true out of brace xray, but I would think it would be detected).

Comment

Our daughter gets an x-ray out of brace every 4-5 months, which is the standard protocol for hard bracing, I think (maybe 6 months if you are stretching it). She gets in-brace x-rays only when she gets a new brace, to check that she is getting a good correction. So the out of brace x-ray for the Providence (which turned up the 35-36 degree curve) was a routine appointment.
          Last edited by mamandcrm; 06-08-2009, 03:31 PM.
          mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
          11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
          latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Originally posted by mamandcrm View Post
            Gilly gets an x-ray out of brace every 4-5 months, which is the standard protocol for hard bracing, I think (maybe 6 months if you are stretching it). She gets in-brace x-rays only when she gets a new brace, to check that she is getting a good correction.
            I just had a question about this. I get in-brace x-rays every 6 months, and my orthotist said I wouldn't need an out-of-brace x-ray until I'm nearing the end of my bracing. He said there was no point in getting an x-ray out of my brace while I'm still wearing it. If that makes sense.

I'm a little confused. Should my mother and I urge him to take at least a minimal amount of out of brace x-rays to make sure everything is going alright? Then again, I agree with my orothotist in the way that there isn't really a point, because it would take a while for the curves to relax to what they would be when you're out of the brace full time, and that's just time lost. Any help?

Stephanie. Fifteen.
            Boston Braced Since March 26, 2009.
            2 thoracic curves: 28 and 22 degrees.
            1 lower lumbar curve: 14 degrees.

One leg is longer than the other; pelvic tilt.
            Curves are reversing in my brace!
            Mother and sister with mild scoliosis,
            and treatment was not required.

"I am uneven.
            2 Halves.
            1 body.
            A curve.
            So what?
            Mistakes.
            They lie.
            Within.
            My spine.
            I.
            Do not.
            Match up.
            Inside.
            And outside.
            I am uneven."

written by me. on May 7, 2008.

Comment

Stephanie,
              Is there any chance you could get your parents to participate in this forum?
              I wouldnt want my daughter getting advice or input from strangers on the internet, at least without me knowing about it.

I'd like to talk with your folks as we apparently received different advice than what your doctors have suggested, my daughter is a similar age to you (14.5) but with a more advanced curve (~38 degrees). I'd be interested to hear their perspective on the bracing issue as we've recently wrestled with making decisions for her treatment.

CD

Comment

Gilly gets an x-ray out of brace every 4-5 months, which is the standard protocol for hard bracing, I think (maybe 6 months if you are stretching it). She gets in-brace x-rays only when she gets a new brace, to check that she is getting a good correction. So the out of brace x-ray for the Providence (which turned up the 35-36 degree curve) was a routine appointment.
                My daughter wears a Charleston and the protocol is a radiograph every six months.

Because it is s night-time brace, she doesn't need to stop wearing it the night before. The curve would be the same whether she took it off for a few days or wore it the night before the radiograph.

As I understand it, that is NOT the case with 23/7 hard braces and Spinecor where you need to be out of it a few days to get an accurate reading after allowing the body to support itself without relying on the brace as I understand it.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

It may be that the more frequent out of brace x-rays is more appropriate for JIS patients like my daughter--I don't know that, just a guess. The 4-5month x-rays is our ortho's standard op but we also want it right now as we are watching closely--if the bracing does not continue to go as we hope we still have other options open to us that we would not want to allow to go by. There may come a time later when we will stretch the interval out. My understanding regarding the pre-x-ray out of hard brace time is that 24-48hours is desireable. For spinecor maybe longer.
                  mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                  11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                  latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Question for Mamandcrm

My daughter just had her in-brace x-ray in the Rigo-Cheneau which Luke made for her and she started wearing a month ago. Her curve measures 3 degrees in brace, down from 36 degrees out of brace. Yes, I know, it's in-brace, but it's still awesome.
                    Hi, can you pm me? I have an appt with Luke this month and would like to ask you some questions, if you don't mind. My email is illianofamily @ gmail .com

Thanks!

Comment

I sent you a PM
                      mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                      11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                      latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story with us! I'm so glad to hear you found that treatment and it helped her!
                        Yes the Schroth method is quite fascinating, in the one picture it corrected a 100 degree curve to a like 40 degree curve I was like WOW!!!!!!!! It's magic!!!
                        Yes the Cheneau is one hard brace I do agree with a little. It's idea seems way better than the TLSO/Boston brace. I don't think it's offered in the USA though???

Comment

Cheneau brace in the US

The Cheneau brace is made in the US by Luke Stikeleather at Orthotic Solutions in Fairfax, Virginia: http://www.orthoticsolutions.com and by Grant Wood in San Mateo, California http://grantwoodortho.com/aboutus.aspx

Both were trained by Dr. Rigo (Barcelona) who designed the Rigo-Cheneau brace.

And, no, I am not an advertiser-my daughter wears a Rigo-Cheneau brace.

Comment

Cheneau Brace Wearer Success Story

I wore a Boston Brace for about a year. In the Boston Brace my curves went up to around 38 degrees. Surgery was discussed. At this time I was being trained in the Schroth method by Dr. Manuel Rigo. He said my curves would progress while wearing the Boston Brace and that I should switch to the Cheneau. My first Cheneau was made by Dr. Rigo while he was teaching other orthotists to make the Cheneau. While in the Cheneau and doing the Schroth method, my curves have gone from 38 and 32 to 25 and 11 out of brace. While I was not completely compliant with the PT, I am a huge advocate of the Cheneau brace. The main separatation between it and many other braces is that the Cheneau brace addresses curves in three dimensions. In addition to the first two dimensions that other braces address and correct the Cheneau addresses the rotation of the spine in a third dimension. The poster above mentioned Luke at Orthotic Solutions and he is amazing. He caters well to people traveling to see him and works around travel schedules. I cannot begin to thank him and Dr. Rigo, because without them I would probably have had to have surgery. I cannot stress enough how beneficial the Cheneau brace is.
                            Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
                            -Virgel

Comment

Great Follow-up for Gillian

I decided to post my daughter's latest x-ray results here as that's where I've posted before.

She was diagnosed in June '08 at age 7 with a 25 degree curve. She wore a Providence brace for 5 months and her curve increased to 35 degrees. She has been wearing a Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time for 9 months now. Her curve in December was 35 degrees; at 5 month point it was 28 degrees. Today it was 14 degrees. Those are all out of brace measurements (30 hours+). We are so happy!

mamandcrm
                              mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                              11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                              latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Hi mamandcrm,

That is such wonderful news! What a wonderful day this is for you...you must be celebrating!

I read back through the thread and I see that you went to Luke S. for the brace. When I was really worried that my daughter was only in a nighttime brace and it wouldn't prove to be enough to hold her fast-moving curve, I called him up and talked to him, thinking that it would be best for her to be in the Cheneau brace during the day and the Charleston Bending brace at night.

He agreed that if it wasn't so expensive to have both braces, it would be the best method for most kids. He asked me for all the measured degrees at all her x-ray appointments, and he basically told me that he felt she was under good brace management and felt that her brace had stopped her curve cold. He didn't think she needed his additional services but he was basically available if I wanted. So I took his advice and didn't go to him! (Now seeing your results, I wish I had gone anyway...hee hee).

So I have a good feeling that Luke is not just in this for the money. I also noticed that he is apparently checking out the bracing for the Braist study and has rejected 25% of the bracing efforts, if I remember correctly from the POSNA presentation on the Braist study.

Once again, congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X