Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charleston Bending Brace for a 6 Year Old

Hi There,

My 6 year old daughter has been diagonised with Scoliosis (around 33 degrees I think). It was originally picked up in an unrelated x-ray when she was three, and her most recent x-rays have confirmed it - and that it seems to be getting worse.

She is booked in to have a MRI, but that could be a few Months away.

Also suggested is the wearing of a Charleston Bending Brace. Has anyone had experience with this type of brace and a 6 year old? I can't imagine sleeping to be very easy, but maybe it is better than having to wear a brace during the day. Does bracing seem like the right option at this point in time?

Regards,
    Mark

I have no idea about this brace and JIS but I can tell you my 13 yo daughter with AIS has been wearing it for about 6 months. She in now only comfortable in the brace when sleeping. Her surgeon reports that about half of folks in this brace report that.

So there is half a chance your daughter will be very comfortable in the brace after she gets used to it.

Our surgeon said he didn't (or rarely) braced with any brace before the studies came out on the Charleston. I'm guessing he doesn't feel the 23 hour type bracing has enough proven efficacy to warrant making a child wear them. Our previous orthopod doesn't brace at all to my knowledge though he, too, may have moved to using the Charleston, I don't know.

As far as I can tell, the Charleston works better with lumbar and thoraco-lumbar curves though it might work with thoracic curves also.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 10-07-2008, 05:08 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Actually, I do have some small idea about JIS and the Charleston... I had posted an article a while back on this very topic... slipped my mind. Here it is...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ystem2.PEntrez. Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.P ubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=3&log$=relatedarticles& logdbfrom=pubmed

Juvenile idiopathic scoliosis: the effectiveness of part-time bracing.
      Jarvis J, Garbedian S, Swamy G.

Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Ottawa, Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada. jarvis@cheo.on.ca

STUDY DESIGN: A retrospective review of 34 patients with juvenile idiopathic scoliosis (JIS) treated with a nighttime bending brace. OBJECTIVE: To determine the effectiveness of part-time bracing in JIS. SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: Although previous bracing studies have focused on adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, no authors have dealt specifically with part-time bracing for JIS. METHODS: Twenty-three patients included in the study met the following criteria: curves greater than 20 degrees and Risser zero at initiation of bracing, brace wear more than 12 months, completion of the bracing program and Risser sign greater than or equal to 4 at final follow-up. Patients were analyzed according to 3 groups: (1) success (progression equal or less than 5 degrees), (2) progression more than 5 degrees (but not requiring surgery and achieving curve stabilization at skeletal maturity), and (3) surgery (curve progressing to greater than 45 degrees ) with failure of bracing treatment during skeletal immaturity. RESULTS: Seven boys and 16 girls with a total of 37 curves were analyzed. The average age at referral and initiation of bracing was 8.3 and 10.3 years, respectively. Average curve magnitude at time of bracing was 30 degrees. Length of bracing averaged 3.7 years with follow-up after brace discontinuation of 2.5 years. Nine patients met the criteria for success, with 7 patients progressing and 7 patients eventually requiring spinal fusion. Of the 37 curves, 19 (51%) were successfully managed in the brace. The magnitude of curvature at initiation of bracing did not relate to a successful outcome, whereas success did correlate with higher radiographic in-brace correction. Given the longer course of treatment for JIS patients, part-time bracing offers potential psychosocial and compliance benefits. CONCLUSION: Part-time bracing in JIS is successful and is better than the natural history.

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

you may want to take a look at the Spinecor too.
        from CT, USA
        6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
        8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
        10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
        10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
        10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
        4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
        8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
        2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
        3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

My daughter wore two Charleston braces. They did not stop her curves but to be honest she never got used to wearing them so it didn't really have a chance to work.

If I were you I'd check out the Spinecor brace and investigate spine stapling as well. A couple more choices anyway...........

Ruth
          Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Spinecor

Originally posted by christine2 View Post
            you may want to take a look at the Spinecor too.
            Hi Christine,

The Spinecor looks good. Am just trying to find out whether or not that is an option in New Zealand. Looks like Australia is the closest Country to offer this.

Mark

Comment

I know it is hard to find a reputable Dr. that uses the brace. Just be careful if you choose to use the Spinecor that you select the right Dr. I have no problem with Chiropractors, I have seen one every 3 weeks for the last 12 years and swear by mine, However it is imperative that you find someone that is trained thoughly one how to us the brace. There are many Chiros out there that are not and have no right using this treatment. There are folks that travel from all over the world to see Dr. Rivard and Dr. Colliard in Canada. Thay are the inventors and are the best!! We travel 7 1/2 hours by car to see them. You can call directly and speak to Dr Rivard to see if there is someone he trusts closer to you. He will give his honest opinion!! 514-345-4839 is Dr Rivards office.
              from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

Mark

My geography is terrible, I just looked at the globe and yes you are in New Zealand!! Wow it looks like a nice, quiet place to be!! It might be worth a call into Dr Rivard to see if the Docs in Australia are qualifed to fit the brace and it might be worth the trip. Your child is so young and could really benefit from Spinecor.
                from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment