bathroom questions from a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bathroom questions from a newbie

Hi, I'm jumping in with my 9 year old daughter,Sarah, we just had her second day with the Boston brace for 2 hours. Who can tell us how will a 9 year old go to the bathroom at school? Is bikini underwear what we need? (Things that orthotists don't tell you.) Also, realistically, will her wardrobe be turned into elastic pants that are over or under...by the way, which works better? Thanks for any help that will come.
    Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Welcome! My daughter wore her underwear over her brace, rather than under. She was definitely NOT thrilled with this arrangement at first, but quickly adjusted. If you wear it under it leaves deep marks on your skin from where the seams press against the skin, so that it not very comfortable.

Dresses are great, if your daughter likes them, otherwise elastic waist or strectchy clothes will fit best over the brace. The brace is not made to wear clothes under it, other than the body sock or "Boston T" undershirt. Hopefully your orthotist gave you some of these, if not, you can purchase them online.

Good luck!
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
    X