Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg pain

Hello,

My son is 3 yrs old and was previously diagnosed with congential scoliosis when he was 3 months old. He is a hemi-vertabrae with a neck tilt. Recently my wife has mentioned that he has complained on several occassions about leg pain, to the point where he would remain on the floor for several minutes until the pain subsided.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their child?

Franco

This probably has nothing to do with my scoliosis but ever since I was about 5 I have gotten really bad leg pain of a night time about once a month. I doubt this has anything to do with my scoliosis as I was only diagnosed last year but I guess I'll never know.
    Sarah
    Australian
    15 years old
    Spine Fused - 06/04/10
    Was: 55 degrees
    Now: About 0 degrees

Comment

My daughter was 7 1/2 when she was diagnosed with juvenile scoliosis. She had leg pain frequently. We thought it was "growing pains" which I have since learned is a myth. I have no doubt in my mind that her pain was related to her scoliosis. We visited a podiatrist, along with several orthopedists. They all deny that her leg pain is from the scoliosis. I do not believe this for a minute. Always keep searching.

Comment

Franco,

Has your son had a FULL spine MRI? Sudden (but occasional) leg pain is a symptom of a tethered spinal cord. Any child with congenital malformations of the spine should have an MRI. That MRI should be read by a PEDIATRIC neuroSURGEON (not neurologist). My Braydon has congenital scoliosis. He had an MRI at age 10 months old (the month prior to spinal fusion surgery). We were told his MRI was normal (well, it was, his spinal cord, itself, was/is normal). Then, at age 3-1/2yrs old he started having occasional episode of extreme leg/foot pain, occasional fatigue, occasional changes in his bladder habits (had been potty trained for about 6 months). We had another MRI, and they confirmed that he had a fatty filum (as should have been seen in the first MRI). He had a surgical release of his fatty filum, and improved greatly. No more leg pain, he gained 3 pounds in 6 week, gained 3 inches of height in 6 weeks, etc. It was almost like his body needed that surgery to begin thriving.

I don't have a link to these stats, but, as many as 25% of kids with congenital malformations of the spine have some type of tethered spinal cord. Worth ruling out, for sure. Good luck.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Franco,

I have JIS since 9 years old, and I have leg pain about once a month, especially when I am tired or have a period. I doubt it has anything to do with my scoliosis, for my mom and my grandpa had leg pain when they were young, and they don't have scoliosis. Anyway, after reading Carmell's post, I think I'd better have it examined.

Comment

Hi I would just like to say that my 16 year old daughter was just diagnosed with Scoliosis by our chriopractor he was the first to noitce she had x rays done last week and we will be going to see are family Doctor today. This is all so new to me I have been reading so much in the last week and I feel like it is alot to take in I love this site I happend upon it by accident trying to find anything out. We live in Alberta close to Edmonton and I just have tons of questions if anyone could answer anything I would be very greatful. She has been complaing of severe pain for a while now and I did not belive her until I seen the xrays for myself. Is there alot of pain associated with this? Could this be the cause of her bowel problems irritable bowel? Head aches severe? Leg pain complains of feet falling asleep? I just need to talk to someone that has gone through this. I could keep writting but that is probably enough for now. Mother just looking for some answers and dealing with terrible guilt for not nowing alot sooner what was going on with my daughter and not believing in her pain and sore back.

You can reach me here or at my Email address is Jackieh@thedashgroup.com

Comment

Jackie and Franco,

I just want to add that I think an MRI is necessary. My daughter was diagnosed at age 5 w/ a 28 degree curve. An MRI was done immediately (due to her age), and she was found to have a Chiari Malformation and Syringomyelia. She had ALWAYS complained when she was little that "her legs hurt" or that her "legs were tired". I had always attributed those comments to her being lazy and not wanting to walk. (ie: wanting to be carried or use a stroller). I was very wrong in thinking that. She really was having issues, that I couldn't connect the dots between until her diagnosis.
              Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
              28 degree scoliosis 9/04
              Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
              17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
              Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
              3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
              11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

Working...
              X