Revision one-year anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revision one-year anniversary

It was one year ago today, Sept. 11 ~ an easy date to remember , that i had my revision surgery. All my hardware was removed except the inplates (sp?) in the lumbar disc areas.

Even though the surgery was much easier compared to the original, i'm not sure i'm happy with the results. I still have a weak right leg and use a cane when i go outside of the house. Also i now have more rib/thoracic aches and pains and have difficulty in standing upright. If i've been standing for a while, i'm more bent over than my 87 yr old mother . I can put my hands on each side of a doorway and press myself forward to get upright again, but it only lasts a few minutes.

I'm scheduled to meet with my surgeon next week for a follow-up. I rather dread it, because I get the feeling that he wants so much for his surgery to be a success that he doesn't take my complaints or condition seriously. I always come away feeling like a whiner and depressed.

I am, however, glad that i had the fusion done because i don't have those crippling pains in my lumbar area anymore.

leg weakness

If you have significant weakness still, and haven't had an EMG,
    that test might give useful information about whether you should
    expect your leg to get stronger or not.
    Last edited by gardenjen; 09-11-2008, 11:33 AM. Reason: error

Comment

Thank you, gardenjen. Maybe i will mention that to him on Tuesday. Something is not right, surely, but it's hard to know what exactly. Anyway thanks for the reply (only one who did....lol)

Comment

Hi JoAnn,

I'm sorry you are still having problems...the difficulty standing straight worries me a bit. Is your fusion stable without the hardware??

My right leg is still a bit weak also, and after a lot of physical therapy, seems to have stabilized at about 80% strength. I just stopped using a cane outside this past spring, but I still limp a bit when I'm tired. I did have an EMG to determine if there was any nerve damage and according to the test there wasn't, and the neurologist said that in time I should get all the strength back. So the EMG is definitely worthwhile just to test basic nerve function.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks, Singer. I don't know why i'm having so much difficulty in straightening. I get so frustrated when people say to me... Just stand up straight! If i bend my knees i can appear straighter, but if i straighten my knees, i'm back over again. And the more tired i am, the more i lean over.

I've been thru physical therapy twice and i still do some pool exercises. I think it helps my muscles, but since my original surgery 3 yrs ago, my gait has not been the same and doesn't seem to be improving.

As far as the stability of my fusion... i just don't know. I guess we will find out on Tuesday when the dr. does another round of xrays. I've had so many xrays!!! I wonder if any of us have started to glow in the dark from all the radiation?

Comment

JoAnn-- I'm thinking of you too-- wish you weren't having these problems! At about 6 months post-op I started PT to help with arm and leg strength-- and one of the first things he helped me with was my gait and length of stride. And standing up a little straighter, although I was ok... it was just as I tired, I think I leaned a little more forward. It sounds like you are having more than just a little problem with that. Plus you are at a year post-op. Please let us know how your appointment goes and what he says. It just shouldn't be that way... Sending hugs, Susie
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hope things improve for you! Have you considered getting another opinion? Your condition sounds like Flatback.. But, that's just an uneducated guess at best!

Take care!

Comment

Thank you!! The follow-up has turned into another barrage of tests and the one trip to Nashville (2 hrs from home) has turned into 4 trips. I go next Tues, Nov. 4. to hear results of the upright MRI's and standing xrays. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I want to know what's going on and a way to help this pain, but i DO NOT want another surgery!!

Comment

Working...
                X