Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I swim?

Im feeling SO unfit since I got to 40.
    Im considering learning to swim-which will be a challange to me as I scared of water Always have been.My dad and my husband have tried to teach me but Im just too nervous.
    Is swimming really beneficial for scoliosis-would it help with my pain?
    Because I cant work because of pain I need to find something to keep me fit without putting my in pain.Im feeling so stiff!
    Any suggestions?
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Originally posted by bluestone View Post
    Im considering learning to swim-which will be a challange to me as I scared of water Always have been.My dad and my husband have tried to teach me but Im just too nervous.
    Because I cant work because of pain I need to find something to keep me fit without putting my in pain.Im feeling so stiff!
    Any suggestions?
    Bluestone,

I say go for it, and am a strong believer that 40, 60, or even 100, isn't too late to learn a new skill, conquer a fear or take up a new hobby!

Swimming (and any type of water aerobics/water resistance training) is one of the best exercises out there. It's low impact, and has both cardio and weight bearing benefits (good for your heart AND your bones).

It's hard to say whether or not it might help your pain, but almost anything that puts you in better physical condition has the potential to do so. Being in the water is the closest you can come to zero gravity, and it's a really good choice.

You might find it much easier to learn with an instructor you don't know. Keep us posted how it works out, and best of luck to you! Be brave ... you can do this!

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

I go to a senior pool (50 or older or with doctor's note). They keep the water at 90 degrees. It is great. You don't have to swim to help your back pain. You can walk in the water (chest high for best benifits), do leg lifts to the front, side and back, ride a noodle like a bike. Our pool has an exercise bike, treadmill, and elliptical all in the water for added workouts. Try a water aerobics class or water exercise class. We even have a water yoga class! Working out in the water is better for your back than on land. The water offers you support and lowers the impact.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

bluestone.

I agree with Pam. It sounds like you are really motivated now and swimming is a great choice. If you have some fear, start with a professional instructor at a local pool. You may have to call around and visit until you find someone you are comfortable with. Do it soon before you talk yourself out of it.

Comment

My daughter is 14, but she swam before and after spinal fusion, and we feel it has been very beneficial and have very positive feedback from doctors. She was able to swim after her incision heald enough, and was told it was one of the best activities, and it was not even 6 months post op that she was given clearance. It really helps her stretch out her muscles, and be active without hurting herself, especially in the beginnning.
          Shirley
          Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow2010 View Post
            I go to a senior pool (50 or older or with doctor's note). They keep the water at 90 degrees. It is great. You don't have to swim to help your back pain. You can walk in the water (chest high for best benifits), do leg lifts to the front, side and back, ride a noodle like a bike.
            bluestone

This was what my PT had me doing before I wasn't allowed any more PT by insurance.

One thng I rally want is a swimming pool, but one that is only neck high, no deeper. I've almost drowned a few times and everytime I get water in my face my body panics, even in the shower. I need to have something under my feet at all times. So I understand your fears. But it is very helpful, so I would try it.

If I could I would spend all day in water, the pressure off my spine feels sooooo goooooood!
            Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
            Still have 57 degree curve
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
            Preop xray (with brace on)
            Postop xray

Comment

I've been swimming in the past year, not so much teh last month or two because of work..but swimming is realy enjoyable. We had a pool growing up and that is where I learned. Great exercise! Go for it.

Comment

My husband and daughter have persuaded me to go to a fun pool on
                Sunday and I will !
                I havent been in water for about 20 years so its a big deal for me, trying a fun pool first might make it easier as I can just walk around.
                I feel nervous but I will give it a go.
                Thanks for all your support.

Comment

swimming!

it's good for you and fun too.

i manage to scuba with scoliosis.

i live in arizona, my pool has just cooled off to 88 degrees, it feels chilly.

Comment

Originally posted by aktech23 View Post
                    i live in arizona, my pool has just cooled off to 88 degrees, it feels chilly.
                    In Palm Springs I was in a pool that was directly fed from the hot springs. First it hit the hot tub, then flowed into the pool from there, then I donno where it flowed to, but those mineral waters were great. The pool was always warm.

I miss that pool. Wish I could go more.
                    2 Harrington rods
                    Luque method used
                    Dr David Bradford
                    Postop xray

Comment

Pain~Free Swimming

Originally posted by bluestone View Post
                      Any suggestions?
                      I've read this and found it to be true from my own personal experience....the
                      side-stroke and swimming on my back are the only swim styles that feel good.
                      Because you're a beginner my advice is use a flotation device so that you feel
                      secure. Most YMCA's can provide you with a kick-board that you can place under your stomach. Learn to balance in the water on this, chin up, on your
                      belly. Master the doggie-paddle first. This will keep your face out of the water. The side stroke and swimming on your back, coincidently, are performed with your face out of the water. After the doggie paddle, have someone you trust teach you how to float on your back. Arch your back and
                      again, keep your chin up. Someone should keep their hand under the small of
                      your back to keep you afloat until you learn to relax and, arms out to the side, legs comfortably dangling, float. Your ears will be under, but you can stay calm through all of this if you stay in the shallow end, and work with someone you trust. The water needs to be warm, or you may find you will
                      get crampy if you push yourself too hard. Good luck, and keep moving! MarlaS.

Comment

i think you should go for it because i know that when i swim all the pressure comes of my back nd it feels great....but if you decide not to yoga is also a good way to get fit and make your back feel good.
                        Katya

im wearing a bosten brace i had a 27 degree curve when i went into my brace and now with the brace in i have a 11 degree curve i got a new brace yester day and its killing me

Comment

Originally posted by MarlaS View Post
                          I've read this and found it to be true from my own personal experience....the
                          side-stroke and swimming on my back are the only swim styles that feel good.
                          Because you're a beginner my advice is use a flotation device so that you feel
                          secure. Most YMCA's can provide you with a kick-board that you can place under your stomach. Learn to balance in the water on this, chin up, on your
                          belly. Master the doggie-paddle first. This will keep your face out of the water. The side stroke and swimming on your back, coincidently, are performed with your face out of the water. After the doggie paddle, have someone you trust teach you how to float on your back. Arch your back and
                          again, keep your chin up. Someone should keep their hand under the small of
                          your back to keep you afloat until you learn to relax and, arms out to the side, legs comfortably dangling, float. Your ears will be under, but you can stay calm through all of this if you stay in the shallow end, and work with someone you trust. The water needs to be warm, or you may find you will
                          get crampy if you push yourself too hard. Good luck, and keep moving! MarlaS.

Thanks for the advice!
                          I went in a fun pool the weekend and I loved it!
                          There was a wave machine and a jaccuzi and areas to swim.
                          I didnt feel as afraid as I did when I was younger but it probably helped having my 12 year old daughter and husband with me.We just had fun and it built my confidence up.We are planning to go every week and once my confidence has built up more I will seriously learn to swim-because I really want to!

Comment

Originally posted by kkotz123 View Post
                            i think you should go for it because i know that when i swim all the pressure comes of my back nd it feels great....but if you decide not to yoga is also a good way to get fit and make your back feel good.
                            When my wife & I go on vacation to resorts almost all my time is spent in the hot tub. The weight off m back is great.
                            2 Harrington rods
                            Luque method used
                            Dr David Bradford
                            Postop xray

Comment

update

Originally posted by Mom37 View Post
                              My daughter is 14, but she swam before and after spinal fusion, and we feel it has been very beneficial and have very positive feedback from doctors. She was able to swim after her incision healed enough, and was told it was one of the best activities, and it was not even 6 months post op that she was given clearance. It really helps her stretch out her muscles, and be active without hurting herself, especially in the beginning.
                              My daughter started back to competitive swimming at her high school team in August and is having no problems with diving, flip turns, or swimming. She has difficulty with flexibility for butterfly, but has always, and never did well at that stroke. They still have her swim it, but it is still her weakest stroke.
                              Shirley
                              Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Working...
                              X