No announcement yet.

Would my child inherit my scoliosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As in any inherited disease, you have a 1 in 4 chance of passing on the gene to your child. I have 2 sisters and they both have small curves, while mine needed surgery. I have 2 daughters, the oldest outgrew here small curve and the youngest had to have surgery for hers. We think that it came from my father's side of the family. He was an only child because his mother had a difficult delivery and almost died. She wore a corset from preteen years until the day she died. They made great braces, so we just don't know.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Scoliosis

I am 29 years old; I had spinal fusion surgery when I was 14 years old in Houston, Texas @ Texas Children Hopsital.

Since my parents and I found out I had idiopathic scoliosis, we were told there is no clear causal agent and this condition was hereditary. The peculiar thing was nobody in my family had (or have) scoliosis that we known of.

I am from México, so when we first met the doctor that performed my surgery, he asked us If we had other ascendency besides Latin American because this condition itīs not typical in Latin American people because itīs not in their genes. My parents told him that some of their great grand parents and grand parents were from USA, England and Spain, so he told us because of this ascendency I inherited scoliosis.

When I think of my condition and that I can pass this to my children I get so sad, I donīt want them to live what I lived, all the pain, all the sorrow, etc.
      But as I wrote above, nobody in my family has or had scoliosis, maybe some great great grandparent had it and it disappeared some generations, so I hope the same thing happens here and my children donīt get scoliosis.

Greetings!

Comment

Well as far as my family, both of my sisters have mild cases .I have it bad and both of my kids have a mild case.

Comment

Scoliosis and Heredity

Hannah

A lot of misinformation has been spread about Scoliosis and heredity.

The latest research suggests that there is very little chance that you will "give" your child Scoliosis.

Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis in twins: a population-based survey.
          According to this large 2007 study if one identical twin has Scoliosis the other will have it just 13% of the time. This strongly suggests that although genes may make a child susceptible to Scoliosis the largest factors involved are environmental.

Melatonin Signaling Dysfunction in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis
          Scoliosis is caused by or closely related to a very specific dysfunction in the central nervous system. Nobody knows why this happens or what the environmental and genetic factors are. If it was as simple as a "Scoliosis gene" scientists would have figured this out a long time ago. On the plus side a blood test is in the works that will allow children to detect this dysfunction even before their curve develops.

It's important to realize that many diseases that appear to be genetic because they hit some families harder than others ultimately turn out to be environment. As I write this a major shift is underway in Autism research. Until recently Autism was thought to be a genetic disease but that is changing rapidly. It's now thought to be triggered by something in the environment in genetically susceptible children.

California's Autism Increase Not Due To Better Counting, Diagnosis

results from the study also suggest that research should shift from genetics to the host of chemicals and infectious microbes in the environment that are likely at the root of changes in the neurodevelopment of California's children.
          Under suspicion

"any major article or proposal concerning the causes of autism is coming to be considered incomplete if it doesn't talk about a potential role of environmental factors."
          Last edited by Dingo; 08-21-2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Scoliosis prevalence

Age- and sex-specific prevalence of scoliosis and the value of school screening programs.

This large study found that among children age eight to fifteen 5.2% of girls had Scoliosis and 3.2% of boys had Scoliosis.

Scoliosis is so common that if most people looked hard enough they could probably find a case somewhere in their extended family. If a family has some type of genetic susceptability they may find several cases.
            Last edited by Dingo; 08-21-2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X