Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working After Surgery

Hi everyone!

Right now I am five months post-op and yesterday I started working as a cashier at a local grocery store. I've been feeling great and my surgeon didn't say anything against it, as long as I don't lift more than ten pounds (I was kind of surprised that the weight restriction was still so low, but I guess it depends on your surgeon?). As a cashier I'm not really lifting more than that because the really heavy items you can just punch a code in for (well, alright, I did lift one thing that I probably shouldn't have =/). The only thing is, though, is that after standing at the register for a five hour shift, I was so extremely sore afterwards. After resting for a bit when I got home, I felt fine, but I'm really hoping that this won't be an everyday thing.

Should I really still be getting sore from something like that even though I'm going to be six months post-op soon?

Do you think it's just because I'm not used to being on my feet for that long and that once my body adjusts to me doing this I'll be alright?

And do you think maybe if I got gel-inserts or something for my shoes it would help me be less sore?

Any other suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated, as I really need to keep this job (and it isn't really too bad, I mean, I could be doing something involving a lot more work). Being a high school senior looking to get a car, and just save up money in general, I definitely need the job. And I'm sure there are people (whether on here or not) who have had to go back to a job such as this after their sugery. My biggest fear, though, is doing something to screw up the fusion. Although I'm not really breaking my doctor's restrictions. Anyway, thanks so much! I appreciate it a ton. =]
    Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Definately get gell inserts, or find shoes that are gel. Ever since Asics came out with their Gel line I've been wearing them. I find the gel shoes to be far better than the air filled ones.

One thing I find is even sitting for a few minutes help out a lot. You might want to find out if your boss will allow you a few minutes every few hours. You won't need a lot, maybe 3-5 minutes to relax your back.

Remember you're still healing, although you are allowed to go back to work and do things, just be careful. But definately get those insoles at the least.

Take care,

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

I actually have a similar situation to yours...lol.
      I work at a grocery store, but in a Deli section....which means there is alot of bending over...and it's alot of work to clean up, etc.
      I took a 6 month leave of absence but I'm a little nervous to go back in December after my 1st semester at college.
      I'm also worried about lifting boxes that I tend to do often at work.

I'll probably just let my manager know when I go back that I shouldn't be lifting too much and still need to take it sort of easy....hopefully she lets me do that? Haha we'll see!

Maybe you can let your manager about your back?
      And ask for 4-6 hour shifts rather than longer 8 hour ones?
      I asked for 6 hour ones only before my sugery when my back pain got significally worse after working a shift.
      17 years old - Female - Canada
      Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
      Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

Thanks. I did buy gel inserts and they help a little bit, but not much.
        tillgurl- I'm sure your manager will accomodate. Well, hopefully lol. My manager does know about my back, but sometimes there's nothing you can do. Because I'm a cashier, I never know what kind of things I'm going to have to lift and scan, and it just takes a toll on my body I guess. Like, I always end up having to lift those boxes filled with cans of soda. I have a feeling I probably shouldn't, but there's nothing I can do.

Sooo, my whole back hurts but it hurts especially right above my fusion?? And badly too. I found out I have a very small curve there, but I don't know if that has to do with it. Actually, it's hurt there before if I do a lot of stuff around the house. If that keeps up, I guess I'll mention it to my surgeon though I don't know what he can do about it.

I really really hope that none of this is screwing up my back. I really do. I need to keep this job.
        But anyway, thanks for your responses.
        Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Nicole and tillgurl,

If I were you two, I'd definitely be very careful to lift things using really excellent body mechanics - holding things close to the body, bending your knees when lifting, etc. I've never had a fusion but I had a ruptured disc in my cervical spine caused by improper lifting and exacerbated by a car accident a few years ago; it was very painful for a long time. Since your back is still somewhat fragile after your relatively recent surgery, maybe you could get a little extra help at work to lift things or maybe your job could be redefined for a while until you are more completely healed. You don't want to overdo it and cause yourself long-term problems at this point in your life and if you're already in so much pain, please listen to your body... Maybe you need physical therapy and/or a stretching program to help build up muscle strength and flexibility in ways that would be safer and, in the long run, better for your body and for doing your job.
          Last edited by laurieg6; 08-24-2008, 12:26 PM. Reason: added name
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Nicole,
            It sounds as if you carry a lot of your "stress" in your upper back/neck. Do you often keep the muscles in your shoulders/upper back contracted? My thought is that since the surgery you compensate with your upper back for the lack of strength and mobility in the rest of your back. After a while the muscles will start to get sore and your upper back and neck will hurt or cause you to get a headache. I have the same "problem" and when my physical therapist notices me doing this she nicely reminds me to relax, LOL. Remember to try and keep your shoulders down and relaxed. Also, try stretching out your neck muscles every couple hours or if you have a little break between customers. Take the opposite hand and put it over your head (right hand to left side or left hand to right side) and gently pull your head over to the side (like this:http://www.capognachiropractic.com/images/neck_s2.jpg). You can also tilt your chin towards your chest to stretch the back of your neck.
            Hope this helps some.
            Also, you could try asking your manager if it would be okay to bring a collapsable stool to sit on if your pain gets really bad from standing. Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Lock-Ba.../dp/B0000TQISO That way, when you need to sit you can easily pull out the stool and open it up, but when you are not using it, it folds flat and you can put it away next to the register, under your counter, etc. I think i've seen them at places like Wal-Mart.
            Remember that you are only 6 months post op, so while you are "healed" you are still healing. It can take up to 12 months or more to feel "normal" again.
            Congratulations on your job. Hope things get easier and easier every day.

Comment

Working...
            X