Any input would be appreciated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any input would be appreciated...

I am taking my daughter for another evaluation soon-this one is supposed to decide whether a brace will be needed. I have seen conflicting numbers-- 20 or 25 degrees for the deciding number for a brace. Should we go ahead with a brace if she is at 20 or wait agin? A brace will be a very difficult thing for us to deal with-as I'm sure all of you know. I feel so guilty as a parent-and so helpless as my beautiful daughter probably acquired this from me and my side of the family--but my husband was born with a condition called pectus excavatim and I have read this can be a reason too. I would give anything for this to be me instead of her. My own curvature was recently formally diagnosed, but I always knew there was some type of problem.

This whole thing is like a whirlwind. I have read about the SpineCor brace-the compliance seems so much better. If our doctor refers us for a traditional brace, do I ask him for info about this brace or do I just go myself? Anything to make this whole thing any easier would be a blessing. My daughter is all ready saying she won't wear it to school. The kids have teased another girl with a brace--calling her a Turtle because of the "shell" she needs to wear!

Thanks for letting me go on-I just found this support forum and I'm very thankful for the opportunity to talk to someone that cares.

Hi,

Try not to be obsessed with exact numbers in regard to bracing or not bracing. There is ALWAYS a +/-5 degree margin of error when even the same professional reads an xray. 5 degrees would make a difference if you consider choosing to brace at 20 or 25 degrees.

I think that before you go rushing into a brace, you need to know what the situation with your daughter is, completely. Is her scoliosis idiopathic or congenital? Is the curve in the middle (thoracic) part of her spine? Does she have any other medical issues that may interfere with wearing a brace (i.e., stomach reflux issues, low muscle tone, etc.)?

Did your husband have surgery to repair his Pectus Excavatum? My son has a mild form and will never have surgery for it, but its always interesting to hear what other people's experiences have been.

I wish you the best. Take a list of questions (written down) with you to the appointment. Make sure you understand everything that is discussed before you leave. Have your daughter ask questions, if she wants. Unless there is extenuating circumstances, your decisions don't need to be made in a hurry. There is no rush to make a choice immediately. Take your time to make the right choice for her. I'll be anxious to hear what they say.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. I wasn't aware of the margin of error info. and your advice was helpful.

Take care and thanks again.

I

Comment

Working...
      X