No announcement yet.

ladare - 8 days post op, 5th day home, still trying to figure out how to sit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ladare - 8 days post op, 5th day home, still trying to figure out how to sit

Hi all, I'm 8 days post op, on my 5th day at home, and the best thing about being home are the warm showers...I never thought a shower could feel so heavenly!!! Already walking about an hour a day, with the longest walk at 30 mins. I know my husband gave the surgery details, and I am waiting to get the full medical report and xrays from the hospital. Managing on 10mg of Oxycodone every three hours, and two Tylenol every so often (2-3 times per day for the headache I get from the Oxy I think). A little sensitive to temperatures, totally put off by meat, and finding sitting to be the most painful position. I have a piece of satin over the bottom sheet, and wear satin pj's, so it is quite easy to adjust my position in bed. Remember I was so concerned about toileting? Well, the extender works very handy so not really a problem at all. Just need to get more regular. Taking Colace and Senna and and herbal called "Relaxing" or "Refreshing" or something like that, but there's been nothing relaxing or refreshing in that department yet...

I wasn't all too impressed by the hospital scene. The first night I was out of it and didn't care, the 2nd two nights I had a trauma roommate who had been in a car accident, broke her neck, was moaning and being suctioned all the time. If you feel led to pray for her, her name is Della, and she was in really bad shape. I feel so badly for her. Sometimes her call button would slip away and so she would rasp out to me to push my call button. It was very stressful but they finally moved her to a private room after two nights.

The last two days I was more alert, more up and about, and struggling more with the digestive track. Ended up throwing up a whole bunch, and eventually got a unit of blood which both made me feel much better.

This morning I cried a little, just tired of pain, but it is all new (and hopefully acute) pain. I have felt NONE of my pre-op pain so I'm very greatful for that. A few times now I've actually feel my muscles moving in my back. It was strangely comforting to feel them alive!

I've been well cared for by my husband and daughter, and other friends and family. Almost too much visiting at first, so we are more careful with the visit schedule now.

Mike brought me all the responses to his post. Thanks for all your well wishes. I'm doing better than I expected and hope to keep up the pace. Writing this has taxed my sitting up time, so I'll check in again later.

Blessings to all!
    Lisa, Portland, OR
    49 y.o.
    46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
    L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
    Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
    T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

I sat in an office chair I bought just for surgery. I wasn't able to sit on the couch or recliner I had in the living room. I discovered they were too deep and I couldn't get back out of them. They were also too uncomfortable for me. They actually caused pain.
    I also was able to sit on the edge of the hospital bed I had in the living room! I wasn't sure I could make it up the stairs to get to the bedroom. I slept on it for 4 weeks so until 5 weeks post op.

As for the "other" I used a dulcolax suppository with a little help from my daughter and the relief was heavenly. I also recommend flushable wipes as they help you to feel like you have cleaned yourself well. I hated the extender and only use it when absolutely necessary now. It's amazing what determination will do for you. I can just reach with out it, but only barely.
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Congrats on doing good this far along!

My dh JUST bought me two of these babies...and I am in HEAVEN! I can even sit in them without the brace in a comfy reclined position! I wish I would have had these for the past 7 weeks I've been home!
      He found ours at a Walmart on clearance for only 35 each!

Linky!

Also for when I first came home my MIL went to a second hand store and found an office chair with a cushioned back and wooden arms. I have been ok to sit in it but not for long hauls.
      My One Crooked Momma blog
      Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
      From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

Comment

Originally posted by mmw
        Congrats on doing good this far along!

My dh JUST bought me two of these babies...and I am in HEAVEN! I can even sit in them without the brace in a comfy reclined position! I wish I would have had these for the past 7 weeks I've been home!
        He found ours at a Walmart on clearance for only 35 each!

Linky!

Also for when I first came home my MIL went to a second hand store and found an office chair with a cushioned back and wooden arms. I have been ok to sit in it but not for long hauls.
        Oh cool, we have a few of these. I guess after my surgery, at least one will be coming into the house

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Lisa-- it really sounds like things are going well for you, so that is terrific!

You should probably check with your doctor about taking tylenol for your headaches... I wasn't to take it as long as I was on pain meds, because mine had tylenol in it (it usually is noted as APAP)-- and if you get more than you should, it causes liver damage. And you're not supposed to take ibuprofen because it's an NSAID, and they can interfere with fusion. It's kind of difficult...

I was able to get comfy on our couch-- but with some extra pillows behind my back and also sitting on one. We had purchased a new couch that had a higher seat height-- 20 or 21", so it was easy enough for me to get up out of. I have heard that you can raise your couch (if need be) with foot/leg extenders or just by putting some 2x6's or something underneath-- as long as it's secure. mmw''s chairs look good-- but for some reason I cannot get comfy in lawn chairs at all-- the back just does not conform to my back.

I think, like Geish, I took dulcolax for awhile (but I may be mixing it up with a different dosage of docusate???) --although, thankfully, mine was oral! but I know I had a problem with it anyway-- like the dreaded "d" word-- (diarrhea) and ended up taking a stool softener with stimulant laxative (docusate sodium with sennosides) for the duration of the pain meds. That worked well for me. I just saw in my notes that at 3 weeks post-op I had a constipation problem and my scoli nurse had me take 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM... till the problem "resolved" itself. Have you talked to your doctor/doctor's nurse about it? Hopefully, SOON, you will have some relief and get into a routine that works for you. I think there are some tips on Linda Racine's website... http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm -- if you scroll down a ways. So drink lots of water and try to eat some of those foods mentioned.

Best wishes-- and keep up the good work. You are making such good progress!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Susie, I don't believe there is any tylenol in oxycodone, at least there wasn't any in mine. It would have to say on the prescription bottle, as you say with APAP or a /325. Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks Sally-- good to know. I didn't check-- just knew that some people haven't known they shouldn't take tylenol when their pain med had it already. So Lisa, disregard my warning.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Lisa
                just wanted to say thanks for posting your update. I hope you are feeling good today..been thinking about you lots. Glad to hear everyones taking real good care of you.
                Louisse
                Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Working...
                X