Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amanda's 6-week Follow-up is tomorrow morning

Dear All of you great NSF forum folks:

Amanda is doing great. Her scar is healing nicely--a bit itchy. Her pain is ribs/shoulder and I give her a little bit of pain med 2-3 nights/week at this point (~7 weeks out). She gets teary-eyed and self pitying really easy. For example, her eczema acted up quite a bit and she cried with "why does everything happen to me, eczema, spinal fusion, why me, why is God so mean, etc." but, she pulls herself together after. She has to vent her feelings and I am so glad she is safe to do that with me. She is loving life with NO BRACE most of all. It is a Godsend to stop the pants crises all the time. Nothing would fit longer than 3 weeks for the last 3 years!!! Anyhow, she will start Pop Warner cheer practice 8/4. They will let her do only what she is able. I hope the older cheerleaders aren't too mean--they already hate that she's 10 and they're in Jr. High blah blah blah....kids....yikes!!! I could see her eyes light up thinking about her uniform 'n stuff...she does love it and the doc said no restrictions as they are self-limiting from pain AND he trusts the technology and hardware. I have been showing everyone the x-rays - they are quite amazing. As my Mom said, "it looks like the doctor went shopping at Home Depot" with those foot long rods and big gnarly screws. I am so glad to be on this side of it. I long to help other parents going through this because this was so so so traumatic for us....well, I'll give you the good news I hope tomorrow after the post-op check.

Love to all of you!

Absolutely fantastic news about Amanda! The lil' short periods of self pity are quite normal at 6 weeks, I think, and I daresay for 10 year old girls in general - LOL. Overall, it sounds like she's handling it all very well, and it should only get better.

The self-limiting restriction is very true: She won't do anything that hurts, and yes, at 7 weeks, the fusion is stronger than you'd think.

It really IS good to be on the other side after all that pre-op worry, eh?

I know I've said it countless times, but you parents have my unmitigated awe ... give *yourself* a pat on the back too for the tough choices you've made and how you've held up!

Congrats all around, and I couldn't be happier for y'all . Looking forward to a wonderful report from her 6 week checkup.

Best regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Hey, glad to hear she's doing good.I had the surgery the same day I think, March 21st? I am off pain killers and have been for a long time so I hope she can kick them soon! I have been blessed with little pain and I just felt horrible when I found out she was in pain.

I didn't go for a six week checkup, just a four week one and I hope we can recover together! I didn't find out we had the same surgery day until after I got home but it was deffinatly a pic me up.

Hope you have nothing but good news for your appointment!
      I'm 19 years old, had surgery 5 years ago
      3 curves Middle curve - 65 fused to 13 Bottom curve 35- fixed on it's own to 16!
      Fused from C7 to L1

Comment

It's Official....she's doing great!

Amanda is fine. X-rays look good. Some shoulder/rib pain is okay. We'll hope to see it go away over the next period of time. Doc said pain meds when needed (she takes very little -- 1/2 a vicodin 2-4x/wk) are fine; no reason for concern. My deal with her is she do a minimum of 1/2 hour exercise or an outing and it's fine with me. I want her to build muscle and not suffer. Anyhow, I would love to talk with any other parents going through this. I have some useful tips. I'll type them up and post them. Her scar is sore. She is okay to bathe now...she's been begging for a bath for 6 weeks.....now she can have one and OF COURSE she doesn't want one tonite....yikes....she's been in the pool already several times. Okay, gotta run. Here's a picture of Amanda attached (she's the one top right, holding the pom poms). I'll scan the x-rays 'n stuff soon so you can see 'em. Thx all.

Comment

Hi ARN010

I'm glad to hear your daughter's surgery and follow up went well. I too have a daughter (aged 14) about to have surgery and am very very nervous. IF you have any tips, i would love to hear them as i have no idea really what to expect. My daughter seems okay but i'm really nervous. How long was your daughter in hospital and how much time did she have out of school. Did you take time off work to look after her and how much care did she need??? Any help would be apreciated.

How is your daughter going now. I noticed your last post was in July???

Cheers,
          L & T
          Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Comment

Working...
          X