Scoliogold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control group

There is a reason why the bulk of the brace literature before recently is garbage. And this reason is widely acknowledged NOW.

It is the lack of a control group.

The results were wildly exaggerated efficacy rates reported because they included some kids whose curves would not have progressed anyway but who were braced.

As I understand it, the situation today is that because bracing isn't obviously effective in many cases (when throwing out the uncontrolled data), it is NOT unethical to watch and wait. In fact there is a large study with that protocol going on as we type. This "natural history" control group could also be the control group for a Scroth study.

Hopefully, they will be able to figure out which kids benefit from bracing and which don't with this protocol. Then we won't need a control group or even studies, just like is now the case for surgery in known cases.

Writer, can you list the Scroth publications that are JUST on their results and JUST in peer-reviewed literature? That is, remove from the list pubs on the supposed lack of call for surgery or any other topic that is NOT actual Scroth results. Any language is fine, don't limit it to English language please.

How many would that be out of the total?

Thanks
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

May I just reinterate that Scoliosis SOS is NOT a Schroth clinic. In fact, as I undertand it, they have been banned from using the Schroth name.

Joan - I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE for there to be a non-surgical answer to my daughter's scoliosis. I would make sure she exercised 5 hours a day if it could help. I am thrilled that your daughter has had such success but I still think it's a money making load of hooey, feeding on the vulnerable and desperate. OK, in some cases there may be some benefit in the exercises - Not a miraculous improvement in curve, but in flexibility and agility and mental wellbeing. If this is the case, then great! For those that can afford to pay...

I would love to see the x-rays too - the photographs on the website look totally bogus to me. In almost every one the shoulders are considerably higher in the second photo. Surely just how they're standing?? Also, in the youngest age group (the only one I have looked at) the children look suspiciously more slender in the second one... Some kind of re-touching going on?

On the UK forum I seem to remember that we have had cases of people claiming to be patients who are actually attempting to sell the clinic so I am very wary.

Anyway, again SCOLIOSIS SOS IS NOT A SCHROTH CLINIC.
      UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
      10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
      Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

sos clinic

Hello Laura
        Apologies for using schroth name, when we visited the new name was not yet being used. I did not mean to suggest anything by it.
        The consultant said the therapy would do no harm so we gave it a shot. My reason for replying to orchids original thread was her direct appeal for info from anyone who had visited the clinic.
        Do not have any connection with clinic other than described.
        Still have not been able to open x ray cd to copy in any format but will keep trying.
        Best wishes
        Joan

Comment

Maybe they are zipped? Are they in XVQuickview.exe?

If so, maybe the following directions will help... my vet sent my horse's hoof radiographs to me in this format and I went through these instructions to view them and post them to some online fora for comment...

Directions for opening the files radiographs:

1. Double click on Zip folder. It will ask if you want to save or open. Choose open.
          2. Double click on the one and only folder that is in the box. (named by client’s last name)
          3. Double click on the last icon which is the XVQuickview.exe file
          4. Choose “extract all” on the compressed zip folder warning window
          5. Go through the extract files wizard saying “yes” to all questions
          6. Double click on the one and only folder that is in the box (named by client’s last name)
          7. Double click on XVQuickview.exe which can now be seen as an application instead of just an icon as in step 3.
          8. Choose “Run” in the window that pops up.
          9. Manipulate radiographs as needed. Referred to another attached document named “Viewing Directions” for directions on manipulating images.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            There is a reason why the bulk of the brace literature before recently is garbage. And this reason is widely acknowledged NOW.
            Sorry, but I have to disagree. Why would reputable scoliosis surgeons continue to prescribe custom made TLSO braces for kids with curves between 20-40 degrees? If you believe the anti-surgery folks, these surgeons have a lot to gain by having patients who fall into the surgery parameters. Bracing is not a perfect option, but nothing is. When braces are used in the correct population, and manufactured correctly, they can be very effective:
            Spine. 2007 Sep 15;32(20):2198-207.Click here to read Links
            A prospective study of brace treatment versus observation alone in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a follow-up mean of 16 years after maturity.
            Danielsson AJ, Hasserius R, Ohlin A, Nachemson AL.

Department of Orthopedics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg, Sweden. danielsson.aina@telia.com

STUDY DESIGN: The Swedish patients included in the previous SRS brace study were invited to take part in a long-term follow-up. OBJECTIVE: To investigate the rate of scoliosis surgery and progression of curves from baseline as well as after maturity. SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: Brace treatment was shown to be superior to electrical muscle stimulation, as well as observation alone, in the original SRS brace study. Few other studies have shown that brace treatment is effective in the treatment of scoliosis. METHODS: Of 106 patients, 41 in Malmö (all Boston brace treatment) and 65 in Göteborg (observation alone as the intention to treat), 87% attended the follow-up, including radiography and chart review. All radiographs were (re)measured for curve size (Cobb method) by an unbiased examiner. Searching in the mandatory national database for performed surgery identified patients who had undergone surgery after maturity. RESULTS: The mean follow-up time was 16 years and the mean age at follow-up was 32 years The 2 treatment groups had equal curve size at inclusion. The curve size of patients who were treated with a brace from the start was reduced by 6 degrees during treatment, but the curve size returned to the same level during the follow-up period. No patients who were primarily braced went on to undergo surgery. In patients with observation alone as the intention to treat, 20% were braced during adolescence due to progression and another 10% underwent surgery. Seventy percent were only observed and increased by 6 degrees from inclusion until now. No patients underwent surgery after maturity. Progression was related to premenarchal status. CONCLUSION: The curves of patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis with a moderate or smaller size at maturity did not deteriorate beyond their original curve size at the 16-year follow-up. No patients treated primarily with a brace went on to undergo surgery, whereas 6 patients (10%) in the observation group required surgery during adolescence compared with none after maturity. Curve progression was related to immaturity.

Thankfully, a DNA test for curve progression risk is only months away. Future studies will be done only on those who are at risk of progression.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey Linda,

I was referring to this...

http://www.scoliosis.org/resources/m...entbracing.php

In 1985, the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) initiated a study to investigate the effectiveness of bracing as a treatment for scoliosis. Many previous studies of full time bracing showed that braces stop about 80% of curves. All of these studies, however, were "uncontrolled" which means there were no simultaneous groups of untreated, unbraced patients for comparison. Therefore, there was some doubt that brace treatment of scoliosis was effective, and concern that bracing may be no different than "natural history" or what happens when no treatment is undertaken.

I know there are studies now with control groups that show efficacy of bracing. But the situation is such that watching and waiting is a viable option in known instances.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Thankfully, a DNA test for curve progression risk is only months away. Future studies will be done only on those who are at risk of progression.
                Linda, what are you referencing here. It seems premature.

p

Comment

Originally posted by PNUTTRO View Post
                  Linda, what are you referencing here. It seems premature.

p
                  http://www.reuters.com/article/press...08+PRN20080911
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hey Linda,

I was referring to this...

http://www.scoliosis.org/resources/m...entbracing.php

In 1985, the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) initiated a study to investigate the effectiveness of bracing as a treatment for scoliosis. Many previous studies of full time bracing showed that braces stop about 80% of curves. All of these studies, however, were "uncontrolled" which means there were no simultaneous groups of untreated, unbraced patients for comparison. Therefore, there was some doubt that brace treatment of scoliosis was effective, and concern that bracing may be no different than "natural history" or what happens when no treatment is undertaken.

I know there are studies now with control groups that show efficacy of bracing. But the situation is such that watching and waiting is a viable option in known instances.
                    Absolutely. Bracing is effective for a group of patients who have a certain criteria. And, waiting and watching is effective for a different patient group.

Comment

Thanks, Linda.

I am always skeptical until I see what the actual test is.

pc
                      Last edited by PNUTTRO; 11-18-2008, 03:58 PM. Reason: Found the article

Comment

Hello,

i'm new to this forum so forgive me if i say anything that shouldn't be said.

Anyway, my name is Esther (from Australia) and i went to the scoliosis SOS clinic about 2 and a half years ago, just when it was opening in England. I was 13 when i first went to the clinic, with a curve of about 56(54-58) degrees. I have to admit the exercises were very hard to keep up at first, but over time i got used to them and they were part of my daily routine. I wasn't quite sure if the treatment was going to work, but i really didn't want to have surgery, so i gave it a hard go. 6 months after i first went, i got some x-rays and my back had not only just stayed the same but went down to 49(47-51). I tried to keep my exercises up, but when it reached 2 years i felt like i didn't have anything left in me, so i slowly started to give up. Then i decided maybe it was time i was to go back, to see if i could get some extra inspiration and maybe improve.(At this time my curve was 52[50-54])

So a little less then a month ago (now alomost 16 years old) i went back to SOS for a week to have a check up, and it helped me alot. I see my surgeon next week for some more x-rays to see if it has stayed the same. I know this treatment doesn't work for everybody, but it has seriously changed my life forever. I met alot of other people other there with scoliosis and it made me feel good that i could relate to other people with it. The therapists and the Maude family are really friendly and helpful, they put in alot of time and effort.

If anybody else would like to ask about the treatment or anything else, please feel free to ask me.

(:
                        Last edited by Essi; 11-20-2008, 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling!
                        Attended the Scroth Clinic in the UK; June/July 2006.
                        Revisited the Scroth Clinic in the UK; November 2008.
                        AIS has stabilized due to treatment.

TEAM SOS FOR LIFE (:

Comment

I was wondering now that time has passed whether there was any data from Scoli-Gold?

They do use the Schroth method according to their website.

They are physiotherapists rather than chiros so they will be under some sort of recognised Health Body

Comment

I was wondering now that time has passed whether there was any data from Scoli-Gold?

They do use the Schroth method according to their website.

They are physiotherapists rather than chiros so they will be under some sort of recognised Health Body

Comment

I doubt we will ever see any data because they are not in the business of publishing treatment outcomes.

But if they send me the data I will crunch it for them. :-)

If a trained researcher (Weiss) couldn't gather convincing data that Schroth works to prevent surgeries with about 30,000 patients over about 10 years then I am sketical Scoligold will have a better track record.

Schroth was invented by a lay person and it shows.
                              Last edited by Pooka1; 04-11-2016, 01:12 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I doubt we will ever see any data because they are not in the business of publishing treatment outcomes.

But if they send me the data I will crunch it for them. :-)

http://www.scoliosissos.com/content/...rch-lowres.pdf

I assume that this is not RCT or peer reviewed? Do you think it is valid?

Comment

Working...
                                X