No announcement yet.

Chi-Mama is past the anterior portion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chi-Mama is past the anterior portion!

Matt (Susan's son) called me just a bit ago and said the surgeon told them it could not have gone more perfectly! :-)

They did one more level today than what they planned (L1-L5), but (yay!) her posterior surgery has been moved to this Friday vs. next Monday.

I'm out of pocket starting this Wednesday ... Suzy and I may cross-post until then, but I just wanted to get the word out she's past the 1st part!

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Thanks, Pam-- glad you got the info on here. I wasn't sure when you were leaving on your trip. When I was talking to Matt, the connection wasn't the greatest, and then went dead when I asked if they knew which day yet for the 2nd surgery. Yesterday she had said it could be W, F, or next M (as scheduled). The only other thing he said was that she was in surgery for 5 hours. So that's all great news about Susan.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Yea! She is 1/2 way to the other side. She has my # hopefully passed it on to Matt. I will fill in while you are off on your adventure. Everyone keep her in your thoughts Friday........

Comment

more info ...

They haven't seen her yet, but Matt just told me they were able to complete her anterior portion with one side incision vs. two.

YAY!

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Update as of 1:45 PM CST ...

I talked to Matt (Susan's son) just a bit ago and she's doing well ... had a rough night, but the first is usually the worst. Plus, she apparently had a REALLY shi**y nurse ... they actually filed a formal complaint on him.

They have her on a Dilaudid PCA, and Matt said they gave her a shot of something (he thought is was Versed) and she was *out*. He also asked that I relay his gratitude to everyone for encouraging her through all this ... he said she talks about us all the time . He seems like such a great kid: He brought her some items from home (like her dog's blankie, LOL ... just comfort stuff) and was talking about tucking her in. Very sweet.

The one incision they *did* do is on her side and very small (he didn't know exactly how small, but he's supposed to have Sarah - Susan's daughter - call me later to explain).

The way he described it is it's some new procedure they're doing in a few California hospitals ... they gradually stretch the muscles so they can go around them vs. severing them. That was fantastic news because surely it means quicker recovery - and less pain.

She has not needed ANY blood so far ... yay! He said her face was pretty swollen yesterday, but MUCH better today. He didn't mention any "Halloween pumpkin-ness" that Susan feared would happen - LOL.

That's all I know right now. Will post more as I get it .

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
          X