No announcement yet.

Scroth Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

threejoys- How did you decide which exercises in the book were right for you?

I bought the book but am having a hard time figuring out what I should be doing on a daily basis for it. I am going to a regular PT for another issue and I have a good understanding of my curve. Going to a Scroth clinic is out of the question right now because I cannot afford it.

Any advice on how to use the book to create your own exercise routine would be greatly appreciated.

I tend to be the type of person who sees every exercise as one I need and I end up having a program that would take 5 hours a day.

Thanks!

Comment

Try writing to Mrs Lehnert herself, sending a couple digital photos (back and side views, be sure the pelvis area is easily visible), including X-rays if you have them. Ask her which exercises she'd suggest. Her website with contact info is at:

http://www.schroth-skoliosebehandlung.de/

Also, your PT would probably be quite interested in the book and ought to be able to give you some guidance in choosing the most appropriate exercises. And she should be able to coach you in how to do them.

Comment

Schroth

I'm pretty sure Schroth therapists decide whether you are
        a "3-curve" or "4-curve" type scoliosis (most people are one or the
        other) by the position of the lowest vertebra on the pelvis, so you
        probably need to send her an XRay image. [Knowing/naming your curve
        pattern helps you to know how to position your pelvis and hips
        to get started.Then if you know where the apex of each curve is, you can decide where to rotate forward (outside of each curve), breathe (inside each curve) and elongate (traction, sort of). Many of the early phase exercises
        do the same things for the spine, just in different positions. If I were
        you, I'd pick a couple of them and get good at them while you're saving
        $ to go see the experts. My personal favorites are 1)kind of hanging from
        a stall bar (or chin-up bar) while standing (or sitting on an exercise ball) - and doing the rotating/breathing things, and 2)using two 1" webbing belts with buckles (you make them cheaply from hardware store supplies) to lie on the floor and provide lumbar traction while you do the rotating/breathing things. These two, and good core strengthening, are early basics for the two most common curve patterns]. Hopefully this makes sense since you have the book.

Comment

Originally posted by swimmergirlsmom View Post
          After reading the Schroth book, we worked with a Schroth Therapist in Northern California to learn which exercises were best for my daughter's curves and we've gone back twice since then for weekend visits, each time learning more advanced exercises.
          Does anyone know how to contact swimmergirlsmom? I've tried to PM her, but her inbox is full. I believe she has a Blog on scoliosis. If anyone does have contact with her, could you ask her to email or PM me?
          Thanks
          Tom
          07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
          11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
          05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
          12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
          05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Working...
          X