Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroth Book?

Hey guys,
    Does anyone know how to obtain the book about the scroth method of therapy? Has anyone read it? All the best, Bish

Bish-- I just googled it and found it here: http://www.schrothmethod.com/

I am sure it isn't something you should tackle on your own-- I don't know much about it, but I think any physical therapy or other therapy method should be done through a trained expert.

Best wishes!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi, I've recently spoken to a Schroth certified physio (trained under Dr Weiss in Germany) who told me that there is no danger in attempting the Schroth exercises yourself, and indeed for a small curve this may be all that is needed in order to help pain and make the back look cosmetically better

Comment

Schroth book

I bought the book first in German and had a friend translate
        key points, and then I bought the English version last summer
        and have read most of it. The principles are clear, but doing
        them correctly requires at least two things: the exerciser
        needs to know specifically the # of curves and locations (not
        information every radiologist gives since most people have
        3 or 4 curves), and the exerciser needs enough hands-on
        feedback to know which direction to correct to (because
        after a while an abnormal posture feels normal). Then,
        corrections that include 1)elongation 2) rotation, and
        3) breathing can be carried out with some degree of accuracy
        (and in a variety of functional positions). The book is great
        but not a substitute for being with a trained Schroth therapist,
        which I am not.

Comment

Thankyou

Thanks for the info guys,it is much appreciated. Gardenjen, do you feel it is worth getting? Did you get any benefit from it? All the best, Bish

Comment

the book

It's very interesting, but more of a textbook, than self-help book. Whoever comes out with a basic book: how to read your own XRay and a few basic exercises in progressively difficult positions, is going to sell a lot of books.

Comment

Schroth book

OK, weird that I should come on here for the first time and find a thread about the Schroth Method book.
              I have had scoliosis since I was a teenager. I was borderline having the surgery and chose the brace instead. Fast forward many years and I've tried yoga (didn't work), chiro (works, but went through insurance money like mad) and now Schroth method.
              I bought the book as there was nobody close by me who did this (couldn't afford to throw out any more money anyway) and my son now has scoliosis and is "being watched". They don't really watch boys like girls, they seem to ignore them until it's too late.........I won't have it
              I really studied the book for about two weeks first. Compllicated, but not brain surgery. The biggest thing is to get the breathing right. My son and I have opposing scoliosises, so his breathing is the opposite of mine and this was confusing.
              Fast forward a month later. The upside...........My son's back was really concerning me and now I can bearly tell he has scoliosis. My hump is nearly gone, I got taller and much straighter although not as straight as him. I wish I had known about this when I was a teen. The downside........getting a teen to do these every morning and every night for the rest of his life........
              My husband is so impressed with these........and how I stand now, that he told me I can install all the bars I want in the basement I've been doing the bar excercises at the playground and stuff so that will be much better. The excercises are fun and relaxing and the whole idea is that by breathing into the concave sides of your back will gently pull your backbone over with time. I'm still getting correction every day. I can feel things pulling and releasing, it's great. The breathing helps yoga be more effective as well.........can't say enough................$60 well spent!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Threejoys,

If you can document the correction of your spine or your son's spine with x-rays over time, you might be able to claim the million dollars in the JREF paranormal challenge.

http://www.randi.org/joom/challenge-info.html

Chiro is included so I don't see why Scroth wouldn't be also.

Good luck.
                Last edited by Pooka1; 06-23-2008, 05:27 PM.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

That's a super story, threejoys! Very inspiring for those of us exploring non-surgical treatments. I hope both you and your son continue to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by threejoys
                    OK, weird that I should come on here for the first time and find a thread about the Schroth Method book.
                    I have had scoliosis since I was a teenager. I was borderline having the surgery and chose the brace instead. Fast forward many years and I've tried yoga (didn't work), chiro (works, but went through insurance money like mad) and now Schroth method.
                    I bought the book as there was nobody close by me who did this (couldn't afford to throw out any more money anyway) and my son now has scoliosis and is "being watched". They don't really watch boys like girls, they seem to ignore them until it's too late.........I won't have it
                    I really studied the book for about two weeks first. Compllicated, but not brain surgery. The biggest thing is to get the breathing right. My son and I have opposing scoliosises, so his breathing is the opposite of mine and this was confusing.
                    Fast forward a month later. The upside...........My son's back was really concerning me and now I can bearly tell he has scoliosis. My hump is nearly gone, I got taller and much straighter although not as straight as him. I wish I had known about this when I was a teen. The downside........getting a teen to do these every morning and every night for the rest of his life........
                    My husband is so impressed with these........and how I stand now, that he told me I can install all the bars I want in the basement I've been doing the bar excercises at the playground and stuff so that will be much better. The excercises are fun and relaxing and the whole idea is that by breathing into the concave sides of your back will gently pull your backbone over with time. I'm still getting correction every day. I can feel things pulling and releasing, it's great. The breathing helps yoga be more effective as well.........can't say enough................$60 well spent!!!!!!!!!!
                    Congratulations Mom! You and your son are taking control of your scoliosis. The Schroth Method and book has preventing me ( 3cp 83º left thoracic )to have second surgery. Parents like you need to be ahead of the curve by educating themselves in other options besides " wait and see ".
                    PM.

Comment

Schroth Method

I've gotten lots of comments on my post.........some not so nice.

I'll clarify.........there is nothing "paranormal" about this method. It is lots of hard work. My son and I are doing this an hour each day split morning and night in addition to our usual exercise routines. In addition, it has been well documented in Europe with pictures and before and after xrays. Germany & Barcelona to be exact. The doctor from Barcelona has spoken at many orthopedic conferences about this method around the world. It is a physiotherapy method used by physical therapists, MD's and a few Chiropractor's. It helps the patient take charge of their scoliosis, but is by no means a cure. If the patient stops the exercises, ever, they will go right back. Scoliosis is a condition that you live with every day.

We did not use x-rays as my son had one back in third grade. He was @ 13 degrees then and his own mother was the first one to diagnose him. I actually had to push the doctor on getting the original x ray. Upon going to the clinic, the xray tech told me that he didn't have any scoliosis and that I was getting them (xrays) done unnecessarily. She later appologized. We haven't had any more xrays done as we all now know what the problem is.

My son is super skinny as am I and we are human xrays so it is relatively easy to see what is going on. I saw him get this. I saw it getting worse and I saw my own scoliosis getting worse so I've spent lots of time investigating how to solve our problem. I don't need to keep going to the doctor for something I already know. This has been a great method for me. However, results depend on age, sticking to the regimen and in older people if there is arthritis, they can have a hard time getting results. There are documented cases however, of many older people with good results. This method works best with kids and teens and young people. I am 42 and have had good results, but as I said before, not as good as my son.

My doctor had said back in December that she was concerned that my son was getting worse. He'd grown over a foot in one year and was getting worse. It was not hard to see. He is due for another check soon. The doctor said if it got any worse, he will have to have more xrays done. This is why I've started him on these exercises. I don't want this going any further if at all possible. I'll post in about a month and let you know how my son's back is getting along and what the doctor says. I think she's going to be blown away. He has only one small curve in his lower back and I can't find the top one any more although I'm sure with an xray it's still there, just smaller. My hope is that he will grow in this way and have less trouble in the future. As I said previously, the hardest part will be getting a teen to understand that he has to do these forever. If he doesn't keep with it, then I will fork over the money for one of the Schroth Institutes for him as I am plainly seeing results. Just threatening "summer scoliosis camp" right now has kept him doing his exercises.

I'll check in next month after he sees the doctor. I also have pictures of my son's back which show improvement if I can figure out how to post them here. The Schroth method recommends taking pictures and showing them to the person to encourage them to keep exercising. It has worked so far.

Comment

Bish - We read the book and found it very informative and helpful, but didn't know exactly what exercises and how our daughter should do them from the book alone. By reading it before meeting with a Schroth therapist, we found we were ahead in the learning curve and it made our sessions very productive.

Threejoys - thank you for sharing your story. My daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis 6 months ago and started Schroth exercises in February. Her thoracic curve was initially measured at 48 degrees in December plus she has two other offsetting curves. We went back for xrays in March, after only 6 weeks of doing Schroth exercises and her thoracic curve was 43 degrees. We understand this 5 degree change is within the margin of error, so we're not celebrating yet, but we were glad that the curve did not appear larger. My daughter is a competitive swimmer so she is very dedicated to daily exercise and will do anything to try and improve her spine herself, so I feel lucky that we do not have to push her to do her 45 min of stretching and exercises each day. She has not missed a night of schroth since she starting on Feb 1 and understands this is a commitment for life. My husband or I help her every evening, by coaching her and giving her feedback, so we have made this a family commitment too, especially since she is only 14 years old. After reading the Schroth book, we worked with a Schroth Therapist in Northern California to learn which exercises were best for my daughter's curves and we've gone back twice since then for weekend visits, each time learning more advanced exercises. Although we haven't been back for xrays yet, we can SEE that my daughter appears to be improving by comparing pictures from January to now and also from measuring her improved lung capacity since starting Schroth.

Since the orthopedist surgeons suggested "wait and see" for a year, we feel we've been given an opportunity to give Schroth a chance. We will go back for xrays at the end of summer and I hope to have positive results to share with everyone.

Comment

Just threatening "summer scoliosis camp" right now has kept him doing his exercises.
                          http://img3.glowfoto.com/images/2008...013479770T.gif

I can hear the fear -- "No, Mom, not that, not Stalag Wisconsin! Please Mom, I'll do the exercises..."

Like I said above, great story. Do keep us posted.

I agree with swimmergirlsmom and gardenjen, I didn't think a person lacking physiotherapy-type training could do the treatment on their own since you need to be able to diagnose the curves and then choose the most appropriate set of exercises for them. Also, the back is not the only problem in scoliosis. Getting the pelvis level is tricky, and developing the consciousness for when it's right is fundamental since it's the foundation for the spine. But ultimately you are responsible on your own -- lifelong -- as you say. The scoli institute staff is normally just there at first as a coach to get you started and show you the ropes. I tremendously admire your resolve and resourcefulness, threejoys -- you richly deserve your success.
                          Last edited by Writer; 06-25-2008, 03:22 AM.

Comment

I've gotten lots of comments on my post.........some not so nice.
                            I think that might have been directed at me.

I was serious if you were serious.

As far as I know, chiro and such are not recognized as effective treatments for scoliosis. If you are claiming an exercise treatment like Schroth is effective then I think you would qualify for the million dollar challenge because I have been told chiro is included. If chiro is included then I don't see why Schroth would not be.

Of course you don't have any objective medical findings supporting your claims at the moment but that doesn't mean you can't get a series of radiographs from now on. You should coordinate this activity with the JREF if you are going to try to get the million dollars.

In your case, it is not obvious that your curve is progressing so I don't think your case would qualify. In your son's case, if they could show it would progress absent the exercise then you might qualify. That may be hard to show though. I would consult with a surgeon on it before approaching the JREF.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by threejoys View Post
                              HI
                              I am a mother of an 11yr old girl with a 48degree top curve and 35degree lower curve, living in Australia. My daughter was wearing a hard brace, 23hr day for almost 3 years and we are now told its not working and she requires surgery.

I am exploring all options for us and have come accross the Schroth method. I would genuinley appriciate you sharing with me your experiences with the Schroth treatment.
                              tg

Comment

Working...
                              X