Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My third one year milestone

Hi All,

I haven't been posting that much lately. I try to get on every so often to read a few posts. I have just past another one year milestone. I am supposed to go see Dr LaGrone on the 17th of June to see what he thinks. My posture is holding this time. No more leaning forward!!!!!!!

I do still have quite a bit of pain though. I'm one of those unlucky few I think that will be dealing with pain and pain management for a long time. My neck has been giving me a lot of problems lately. Two days ago I had 12 trigger point injections done to help loosen up the muscles at the top of the rod. I had three on either side of the spine in the neck and three along each shoulder. It takes a few days to work but it is feeling pretty good right now.

I am on summer break right down so maybe I'll be able to check the forum a little more often now.

I'll let everyone know what Dr LaGrone says at my next appointment.
    Last edited by Theresa; 06-12-2008, 05:27 PM.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Congrats on your milestone!! I sure hope the injections help with the pain. Keep us posted.

Comment

Hello.

Good to hear from you again.
      Great news about standing tall. I'm sure the strengthening will help your neck and shoulders. Maybe you can work it out while you're off for the summer.

p

Comment

Hi JoAnn and P,

Thanks for the comments and yes, the injections have made a big improvement with my neck and shoulders! The other major plus is that I have a whole lot more range of motion with turning my head from side to side!!! I was barely able to turn to my right, today I was showing people how much further I could turn my head and everyone was amazed. I hadn't turned by head to the right that far since before my 2004 surgery!!!
        Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

How do they do the injections? Were they done outpatient or in the office? I am very curious. My surgery started at T2 as yours did. I am almost 3 years out too. Every now and then I need a muscle relaxant for my neck. I hope you can rest over summer and feel your very best--don't even think about school for now!

Comment

Hi JudyK,

He does them right there in his office. He sprays some cold numbing spray on where he is going to do the injections. Then he inserts the needle and injects the medicine and moves on super quick to the next spot. I had to sit there for a little bit afterward with an ice pack. The injection sites wouldn't quit bleeding, the doctor said it was due to how knotted up my muscles were.
            Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Yay, Theresa!

Theresa-- I have read this thread through a few times, and each time am left with the thought of what a strong person you are. I was excited to pass my one year mark, but when I think of you passing three of them, it makes me realize how much you've been through. Whoo hoo about standing straight now! I'm so glad for you!

I hope the injections continue to help relieve the neck pain-- and that the ability to turn your head stays too. Is the pain like in one area of your neck? Is it a stiffness with aching, or more like a stabbing pain? Does it get worse as the day goes on? Just wondering. Sometimes my neck has just a little ache, and feels stiff, then sort of pops and is better. It makes me worry! But it doesn't happen much and seems ok.

I hope you enjoy your summer vacation! Are you just planning to relax-- or are you doing something like a vacation trip? When it's time for school to start, I'll be heading back too. I remember how helpful you were when I wondered about returning to work mid-way through the year, which I ended up not doing. I feel so much more prepared now than then, yet still am not looking forward to the arduous days in the library. I am so much stronger now (yay for PT!), but I know my stamina still isn't where it should be. It will be nice to see the kids again-- and the teachers too, so that is good.

Looking forward to hearing about your appointment on the 17th. Take care!
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I have been to see Dr. LaGrone for a belated one year anniversary check up. He said that everything looked great! He said the bone was growing in nicely as well. I don't need to see him again unil next year.
                Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I have been to see Dr. LaGrone for a one year anniversary checkup. He said everything looked great!!!!!!! The osteotomy is growing together nicely and plently of bone is growing as well. I don't need to see him for another year as long as everything is going good. The last batch of injections that I had for my neck are still working!

While we were in Amarillo we saw the play, "Texas". It was fantastic. It's put on in Palo Dura Canyon starting in June and plays through July.

I had my carpal tunnel surgery done two weeks ago yesterday. The first night I was typing some on the computer, the next day my daughter and I went to a movie and then on Thursday we flew up to Colorado and stayed at her place for about a week and a half. My son and husband had gone ahead of me so they visited some climbing places and downhill mountain bike trails in New Mexico, and Colorado for two full weeks.

It's been a busy two weeks and now I need to get some stuff done around the house before school starts which means back to work for me.
                  Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                  X