Has anyone else done this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else done this??

I stepped out of a doorway without realizing it....and landed HARD on my right leg. The leg was fine but it sent a huge painful jolt through my back, especially the right side (incision side). This happened last weekend, and after trying to live my life as usual, it's just gotten more and more sore and achy. Coincidentally, my one-year checkup with Boachie is June 2, so I'll have x-rays then (which I'm very nervous about) -- but I haven't been this sore in months.

I'm wondering what a misstep like that does in terms of muscle or tissue inflammation. Should I lay off PT for a while? One of the things that makes me crazy about this surgery is that I can't read my body -- I can't tell if pain is muscular, structural, tissues, or what. Of course I worry about jarring the hardware but I would imagine it takes more than a misstep to dislodge anything (right??).

*sigh* thank you...
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Well I have not had a misstep per say but I did miss 1-2 stairs and fell hard in March, 3 1/2 months post op. My ankle still swells up but the back was fine. Beautifully skinned knees. It was great...not! My guess is that the hardware irritated the muscles in the back during the jarring and they are still talking to you about it. Hope you feel better soon.
    Alicia
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Chris-- how are you feeling now that a couple more days have gone by? I was so sorry to read about your misstep... and subsequent pain. I haven't had pain from sudden jarring-- just from overdoing, and sometimes I backed off PT (at home) for a bit to recover, and that helped. If it was during a time when I was actually going to PT, my therapist adjusted whatever we were doing to ease off on that area. Plus the heating pads there relaxed me some too.

That's exciting that you've got your appt. with Dr. B so soon. Let us know how it goes! I was really nervous about my 10 month appt. and x-rays, so I know how that goes. However, all was well at that time. My next appt. isn't till 16 months post-op. I wonder if our apprehension of something going wrong ever eases up... Take care. Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks for replies. Hi Susie...I was worried enough (as I am still extremely sore) to call Boachie's nurse, who told me to lay off PT and take it easy until I get x-rayed on Monday. Her guess is some kind of deep-tissue trauma or muscle strain....whatever. As long as it's not the hardware I don't really care.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hardware damage?

Chris,
          At my last app't my husband asked about broken rods. We were told by the p.a.
          that only trauma would cause it. If there were problems, pain would not be associated with it. Probably your muscles are "crying" from the sudden jolt.
          Take care!
          CSC
          Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
          S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Chris,

Sorry about this mishap. You already had more than a full share of concerns.

I have no advice to offer you other than to take it easy until you see Dr. B.

Hugs,
            Janet
            As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Try not to worry about it - just imagine if you didn't have rods it still would have hurt because the muscles were strained with the misstep.

I'm sure those rods are in there good and tight plus they've been "installed" for almost a year so everything is really healed. It would take a lot to dislodge those rods - like falling numerous times, over and over and over down lots of stairs. Yikes!!

Take care and congratulations on your one year anniversary!
              ca-native (daughter had surgery)

Comment

Working...
              X