Amanda Has Surgery Wednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amanda Has Surgery Wednesday

My sweet 10-year-old, Amanda, will have fusion surgery Wednesday at Kaiser Oakland with Dr. Lincoln (he has been great). She had 27 deg curve diagnosed at 6 and a half, was braced for 3.5 years and last Oct. went to 33 deg and then last month 49 deg (just like that!) She will have a T5-T12 posterior fusion on Wednesday. I am so worried but reading everyone's posts has helped. I will try to update when it's over. It'll be a rough week it sounds like, but it also sounds like there's hope.

Hang in there....

Originally posted by ARN010
    It'll be a rough week it sounds like, but it also sounds like there's hope.
    Hi,

Yes, the week before the sugery was the absolute worst for me. I thought for sure I was losing my mind with worry, but when the actual day of the operation arrived I calmed down because I felt so comfortable with the surgeon's experience.

You are not alone on this path; many, many of us can completely emphasize with what you are going through. Try to keep in touch and let us know what questions you have because someone here will likely have an answer. Plus you will get tips from other parents - here's mine: after the surgery your daughter may be on a PCA (patient controlled) pain pump or NCA (nurse controlled) pain pump (that's the one my daughter had). Make sure she gets an extra boost about ten minutes before they plan on doing things like sitting her up for the first time so she has extra pain meds on board *before* the activity.

Hang in there, we are all sending well wishes to you, your daughter and your family.
    ca-native (daughter had surgery)

Comment

ARN010

I will be thinking of Amanda on Wed. It will be 1 year on friday since I had my surgery at Kaiser Oakland. the first week or two are the hardest, hang in there and she will be back to her old self in no time. It seems that the young girls bounce back from this surgery much faster than us older ladies.

Good Luck I'll be praying for your family on Wed.
      Patty 51 years old
      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
      Posterior T3- L4
      Pre surgery curves
      T-53degrees
      L-38degrees
      and a severe side shift to the right.
      Post surgery curves
      Less than 10 degrees
      Surgery April, 2006
      C4 - C6

Comment

The last few days felt like a countdown for me. We scheduled certain activities to fill the time.

What got me through the days prior was my extreme confidence in the surgeon. Of course I was still worried but I focused on the low risks involved and that the surgery had to happen.

It will be a tough several days but I think your daughter will bounce back so quickly it will amaze and astound you.

Good luck. Stay strong. Eyes on the prize. Be the leader. I'll be thinking about you and your daughter.

sharon
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I am overwhelmed but thank you

Today someone told me it is overwhelming so just be overwhelmed.....yes, she'll be fine and I do have confidence in the doctor. I sobbed briefly tonight. I hope I don't throw up the morning of surgery.....I find myself saying "50 degrees is not that bad"....maybe I should wait.....etc. second-guessing, but she has two years of growth and at 3 degrees/month that would be not okay.....I am scared of all the things that could go wrong. How do you all manage seeing someone you love so dearly in that much pain? I'm just rambling but thank you so so much!

Comment

I know you feel overwhelmed right now, and it's definitely understandable. But just know that everything will be fine. You have tried everything in your power to avoid surgery, but sometimes it's just necessary. I had surgery for a fifty degree curve, and even without years of growth left when a curve reaches that point there is a heightened risk of progression. You are making the right choice. I know how tough it was for my mom, but she was there for me every step of the way and we got through it together. Today I am actually two months post-op and I feel great! Your daughter will bounce back oh-so-fast. It is tough, especially the first few weeks, but everything will slowly get better. For me, it was after three weeks that I started to feel awesome. Anyway, I wish you and your daughter the best of luck!
            Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

All of your feelings are totally natural, I've been there and done that. The rambling thoughts, the struggles with second guessing and questioning your decisions, the fear of what could happen... I totally know what you're going through, and sympathize that you are having to go through this. The week before surgery was the worst for me, I fought having a break down and sobbing, but then I was in tears the morning of the surgery as they were doing the final things before taking her in. We were laughing and crying about it at the same time that morning. I think that if I had broken down and sobbed prior to that morning, maybe it would have been out of me.

When you reach the point of knowing that surgery is really your best and only option, you just gotta try and convince yourself of that. Say your prayers, and, this will all be behind you in a few days. There will be some tough times, but to me, nothing was as bad as the week before the surgery. It is soooooo difficult to see your child having to go through this, but, the kids do bounce back much quicker than you would think.

I wish you and your daughter the best, and will be thinking of you on Wednesday.

Comment

Ditto what the others have said. This is really a rough time for you-- but it will be over soon and your daughter will soon be her bouncy self again--only better. It must be super hard for a mother with her child having the surgery-- my heart goes out to you. You'll both be in my prayers and thoughts.

I've added Amanda to the list we have in the adult surgery section-- April, May, June surgeries-- and also took the liberty of adding her surgery to the official surgery calendar. If you want anything changed, just let me know.
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I agree with all the posts here, the run-up to the surgery is definitely the hardest part. I just wanted to sit and scream to everyone about how scared I was for Annessa but of course I didn't. After Wednesday you will be so busy looking after her and you will both do fine. You become this close little unit as she goes on the road to recovery. Annessa laughs now when we remember her growling at me because I wasn't bringing her a drink quick enough! We'll be thinking of you.

Anne
                  Mum to Annessa, age 15
                  53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
                  Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
                  Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                  Fused T4 - L1

Comment

The week before surgery is definitely the worst - it was so surreal, I was in sort of a daze. What really helped me cope in the hospital was bringing a little notebook and writing everything down. I wrote down times of events such as the start of surgery and all the nurses reports, the doctors and some nurses names, all the meds my son was given and the times they were given, etc. Alexander really like to read it for a while. It is such a relief to have the surgery over with and to see their amazingly quick recoveries. Even though there is obvious pain for your child to experience, they really don't remember it at all shortly after it diminishes. Try to take care of yourself too and get as much support as possible.
                    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Thank you Everyone -- I am so Touched

Everyone, thank you.

My mom was over this weekend and we laughed and giggled a lot. My mom sobbed the morning on the way over for the first time. I guess it is getting real (real-er). Anyhow, I've been fine all weekend and now I started shaking again this morning (my hands and nerves). Amanda is fine. I went at bought a couple button-up shirts based on what you all have shared with me. And, I have three chap sticks in my purse. I bought a soft pink blankie and a soft blue plush puppy. She also asked me to bring my fuzzy jacket and spray it with Oscar so it smells like Mom. She wants to wake up to it (how sweet is that?). She also wants dad's flannel shirt, her lovie toy when she was a baby (it's name is Baa Baa-- its's a purple sheep). I am just trying to breathe and at the same time not hyperventilate. I was so nervous buying her shirts this morning at Ross I had trouble checking out...yikes....the whole world is praying for my little girl and I am so thankful. I looked at her back this morning (I am so used to it that I don't hardly even notice) but she is quite crooked. Dr. Lincoln expects a 100% correction so she should be "straightened up" in no time. Okay I've got my last 2 hours of work and then tomorrow we head to the hotel. I'll check in tonight and then I will be "incommunicado" until after the surgery. I will try to check in when we get released (approx. Monday, May 26). Love and peace to all of you brave, courageous, and loving people. Take good care!

Comment

YOU take good care....and love & peace to YOU.....YOU are brave, courageous & loving....and your daughter is too!! Before you know it, you'll be back on here & you'll be counseling people in the same boat you are in right now. Remember to get plenty of nourishment yourself, breathe, think positive, pray, and be strong & brave for Amanda. You will be amazed at how well she will do. She will be out of bed & walking down the halls by Day 2 Post Op. Save lots of tissues for that day! The tears of happiness at her remarkable recovery will far outweigh your tears of fear & of the unknown, trust me!!!!
                        Martha
                        Mother of Laura, Age 19
                        Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
                        Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
                        Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
                        Fused T2-L2
                        Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
                        Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
                        Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
                        OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Best of luck to you and your daughter. Things will go great and she'll be back to normal in no time. We will be praying for you. Keep us posted.
                          Jamie Age 29
                          Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                          2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                          Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                          T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Boy do I ever know how you are feeling. today is post-op day 8 for my 11 year old daughter! I took this very hard, had nervous breakdown and all. I know it is hard. But after all that, the day of the surgery i was alot calmer than I thought i would be. The Dr. had actually gave me some valium, that my husband had on hand for me. Guess what, I still have them. It was not easy, but it does get easier. I am so proud of her and how fast she is bouncing back. She is getting up and walking on her own. I am AMAZED......... Good luck ot the both of you and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!!

Comment

Okay T-8 hours and counting...

Dear All you wonderful, supportive people:

We're in Jack London Square awaiting the check-in to the hospital at 6 a.m. I also am less nervous than I thought and I am just hoping I don't barf in the morning. Anyhow, I'll try to check in tomorrow or the next day.

Comment

Working...
                              X