Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Think?

Hey Everyone!

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted last! Everything seems to be healing up well so far, but I have a question. I'm almost 15 weeks post op and I am going to a birthday party tonight. The party will be at a bowling alley; do you think it would be okay for me to bowl yet? Or should I wait?

Thank you so much, you all are awesome! I hope everyone has a FANTASTIC Mother's Day!
    [[hailey]]

16 years old
    Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
    Pre surgery: 52º Lumbar curve and 25º Thoracic curve

Originally posted by beach_chikie
    Hey Everyone!

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted last! Everything seems to be healing up well so far, but I have a question. I'm almost 15 weeks post op and I am going to a birthday party tonight. The party will be at a bowling alley; do you think it would be okay for me to bowl yet? Or should I wait?

Thank you so much, you all are awesome! I hope everyone has a FANTASTIC Mother's Day!
    Ask you surgeon! Seriously. Don't ask these types of questions on fora that are devoid of orthopedic surgeons unless you will settle for a "no" if it is forthcoming. I would guess you are not cleared for bowling at 15 weeks but I know ZIP about this.

I'm hoping you didn't already ask your surgeon and got a "no" and were fishing around for a different answer.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Pooka1,

Thanks for replying, but no, I'm not fishing around for other answers. Having the birthday party at a bowling alley was a last minute decision, and I can't call me surgeon's office because they are closed. So I just wanted to find out what everyone thought and what their experiences were. But anyways, thanks again for your reply!
      [[hailey]]

16 years old
      Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
      Pre surgery: 52º Lumbar curve and 25º Thoracic curve

Comment

Bowling sounds like a whole lotta bending lifting and twisting. I suspect you would be in pain either at the time or later if you bowled even if you didn't do any "damage" to the fusion.

Maybe others will pipe up about this.

Your parents may know if you can bowl based on talking to the surgeon at other times. Have you asked them?

sharon
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Beach, if your surgeon hasn't given you a *specific* thumbs up, just GO and hang out. (like no one ever does THAT at a bowling alley - LOL).

Get your doctor's approval first. You don't want to go through this again, hon.

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

too risky...

Hailey-- I know it might seem a little disappointing, but I have to agree-- it's ok to go to the party, but don't bowl. Your friends will understand. It definitely doesn't seem like something you should be doing, and you could do some damage. You can still have fun just hanging with your friends and cheering them on, or teasing, or whatever. Hugs, Susie
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
            X