No announcement yet.

Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is soooo interesting about the teeth! I was missing two permanent teeth on my top jaw and even after having two permanent teeth pulled on my bottom jaw (and tons of dental work) I still have major overcrowding on the lower jaw. My dentist told me last year I'd probably need braces again at some point and I just laughed at him (it was right before my surgery).

Makes sense that our whole infrastructure would be off.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Amanda also has dental issues

My daughter (10yo, 50 deg rt thor curve; post fusion scheduled for 5/21/08) also has a dental nightmare. She has been in braces top and bottom for a couple years, her palate was widened (3 turns a night something like that) and now she has a gold chain surgically implanted around a tooth that is growing at a 90 deg. angle under her 4 front lower teeth. They are pulling it into position and it may require 1-3 more surgeries before it's done. I have often wondered if the two were related. She does, however, have a gorgeous set of teeth even with the braces and after many thousands$$$. I hope her back will be equally as gorgeous (well it's already cute) I mean equally straight all parts in their places.

Comment

Hola

Sorry to hear about your daughter and her teeth troubles, she sounds like a proper little trooper. I feel for her as I cannot stand going to the dentist, I am such a girl when it comes to all that!

I am currently having Bowen therapy to help treat my Scoliosis (had surgery in 1989 for harrington rod) as I have been getting increased pain over the past few months, anyway, I asked her about the jaw and teeth and she said that she thinks they are related and that she always checks the jaws on her scoliosis patients, fortunately I have a good jaw line and it appears to be very good, I have not had a history of bad teeth problems (got enough going on already but I do find all these connections interesting.

Best wishes to your daughter and her up-coming treatment
        Scoliosis Support, News, Blog
        Twisted and Curved....I like that in a person
        Harrington rod T5 to L1 (1989)

Comment

teeth

My son was born with a cleft palate, severe crowding of the teeth (2 surgeries to remove numerous teeth in the past. He is on his 2nd set of braces now trying to move two teeth from the center of the roof of his mouth to spaces made available during surgery. He wears a appliance to continue to stretch the roof of his mouth. He has had teeth grow inside his lip and even one had to be removed from his nose. The Dr said that it was due to twisting the roots of his baby teeth during his cleft palate repair at 1 yr old. And lets not forget the scoliosis diagnosed at 7. Been bracing for 7 yrs now with surgery scheduled next Tuesday.
          Esa it's a long rough road having a child with numerous issues. My heart breaks for my son and any child that has to endure this. I am told it's all for a purpose, one I am sure I wouldn't be able to understand.
          I wish you all the best and pray that you will be lead to the answers you need. I know Maria and Carmell have been a anchor in this storm for me. Thanks Ladies!

Comment

poem... never really cared for poetry.

I ran across this poem in a book the other day. It reflected my situation and the comfort I have found through the folks on this forum.

Lend me your hope for awhile, I seem to have mislaid mine.
            Lost and hopeless feelings accompany me daily, pain and confusion are
            my companions.
            I know not where to turn; looking ahead to future times does not bring
            forth images of renewed hope.
            I see troubled times, pain filled days, and more tragedy.

Hold my hand and hug me; listen to my ramblings, recovery seems so far
            distant. The road to healing seems like a long and lonely one.

Stand by me, offer me your presence, your heart and your love.
            Acknowledge my pain, it is real and ever present.
            I am overwhelmed with sad and conflicting thoughts.

Lend me your hope for awhile; a time will come when I will heal,
            and I will share my renewal, hope and love with others.
            Last edited by terri watkins; 05-20-2008, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by emma12
              Interesting to hear the comments about the teeth related to scoliosis possibility, I had never heard that before. But, my daughter lost her baby teeth late (4 had to be pulled because the adult teeth were coming down and out around them, and they would not loosen on their own).
              How funny ... my bottom, middle four baby teeth were extracted at about age 6-7 because I had two permanent teeth erupted behind them (shark alert!), and the other two were visible - apparently about to erupt - on x-ray.

The middle two came in fine ... the side two took their time moving up and forward, so of course I had fangs (they came up in front of all the "normal" teeth) and required braces.

Then again, one of THE cutest guys I knew from high school wore braces for 6 years - until he was close to 21. His baby teeth just refused to fall out. As far as I know, there were no other health issues.

Baby teeth that hang on aren't really all that uncommon.
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Pam,

Sounds like you and David have a lot in common "teethwise" - he has two permanent teeth (on top) coming in behind some baby teeth that REFUSE to come out (the orthodontist didn't want to pull them just yet because she is hoping his jaw will grow (if I understood her correctly - I think I did) and the more teeth he keeps in his mouth, for now, the better.

I also laughed at what ARNO10 said about her daughter being a "dental nightmare" - reminded me of David!

Terry,

David's top teeth are also coming through the roof of his mouth, behind his other teeth. The orthodontist said she did not think any surgery would be necessary, that they could bring them forward with braces, rubberbands, etc. AFTER they make room (I know it will be a long road). He will also start at some point to wear night headgear to bring his jaw forward, etc. I am so happy that we have an excellent orthodontist who my two older kids also went to, although their teeth weren't nearly as bad. They've been watching David for some time and have a plan. It breaks my heart that he has to go through MORE, but other than getting him a good orthodontist and being there for him, I guess there's not much more I can do.

We actually have our next visit with the orthodontist tomorrow - If I learn anything of interest I will post :-)
                Last edited by mariaf; 05-21-2008, 08:00 AM.
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

At 7 Katie is also already an orthodentist patient! Her jaw isn't big enough so she has been wearing a palate expander for almost a year (although we aren't currently doing adjustments, its acting more as a retainer for the expansions we did over the first 3 months).

She's lost 4 teeth so far and in every case her permanent teeth were already well on their way before the baby teeth came out and it looks like a couple more permanent teeth are about to erupt even though the corresponding baby teeth don't yet look like they are going anywhere....I never got to see my daughter "missing a tooth" because the replacement was always almost fully in! Needless to say, her teeth are growing in much more crooked than her classmates who actually lose a baby tooth first (or at least very shortly after the permanent tooth starts to erupt). hmmm....
                  daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                  -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                  -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                  -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Working...
                  X