Recovery: 71 L-O-N-G Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery: 71 L-O-N-G Days

Just wanted to post the good news. Samantha made it through a full day at school yesterday 71 days after surgery and I could not be prouder.

Lots of posting goes on at this site as to the length of time before a child/teen returns to school. It is not about how long they are out, but that they all recover at their own pace. Every child is different. Samantha refused pain meds after about 2 weeks. She just wanted to tough it out on her own. She also refused to bring a pillow into school or sit in a special chair. She needed to recover and heal in her own way and I let her.

Parents, don't be intimidated by posts of kids who are back to school 3/4 weeks post op or be discouraged by posts where there are longer recovery times. Just know that eventually, life does indeed return to normal even though it seems like it never will.

Health and Happiness to all the parents and kids,
    Michele
    Samsmom
    Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
    42 Degree Lumbar Curve
    Fused T-4 to L-2
    Yale New Haven
    2/5/08

Originally posted by samsmom
    Parents, don't be intimidated by posts of kids who are back to school 3/4 weeks post op or be discouraged by posts where there are longer recovery times. Just know that eventually, life does indeed return to normal even though it seems like it never will.
    Hello Michele,

You have written a perfect statement about recovery time. Thank you!!
    ca-native (daughter had surgery)

Comment

Amen!

Yep, very much to the crux of the matter. Same with us older grown-ups, too. We're making forward progress, and we'll all win the race-- because it's not based on any time-line.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hello! Congrats 2 Sam!

HI EVERYONE! congrats 2 sam! glad she made it thro ok. susie bee, WOW i looked at ur x-ray pics. some improvement! gr8 job on the doctor's part! congrats! i'm glad ur ok. boy, God wuz really w/u and sam both huh? that's gr8 2 hear. God bless u all and ur all in my prayers!
        Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
        I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
        My curves were 30 and 31
        I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
        I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
        I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
        I want to meet some new people on this forum!
        Don't be shy...
        Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Beautiful

sam'smom that was simply beautiful...

Comment

Yay for Sam Michele!!!!! That's great news and I couldn't agree more! I don't know how many times we have to post on this forum how every single patient is different in all aspects.
            Elysia will be in for a shock soon as she return to school full force on Tuesday. She only went back to school at 7 weeks post op and then two weeks of relatively taking it easy at school and now she has just had two more weeks of school holidays. So it's full steam ahead now!!!

Cyber hugs to you both.
            Del
            Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
            Sydney - Australia
            Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
            Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
            Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
            L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

I hope Elysa made it through the day at school. It will definitely be a day to celebrate!!! We will be cheering her on!

Best,
              Michele
              Samsmom
              Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
              42 Degree Lumbar Curve
              Fused T-4 to L-2
              Yale New Haven
              2/5/08

Comment

Well said Michelle!

Hi Michelle,

I couldn't have put it better myself! As you know Annessa only went back to school full time last week and even then it has been difficult at times. This recovery is no walk in the park and is all about learning to listen to your body and taking each day as it comes.

All the best to everyone in their recovery process. Be kind to yourselves.
                Anne
                Mum to Annessa, age 15
                53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
                Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
                Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Working...
                X