school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school

Hi everyone, I have an emotional question today. See, I'm going back to school tomorrow to get some help on chemistry, and I keep imagining the classroom full of students and me walking in with a pillow in hand. I was just wondering what it was like for you to go back to school after surgery. I'm a bit scared, and overly self concious of my pillow xD. I'm definately scared of going back to real school in a week, with the crowds and stairs to deal with as well.. what was it all like for you?
    Pre-Op:
    UT-35*. T-55*, L-30*
    16 year old girl
    Fusion- T5- T12 on March 17th 2008
    Post-OP:
    UT-27*, T/L-very straight : ]

Hi Sanah,

I went back to school at 4 weeks post-op. I made sure to talk with my counselor about making certain adjustments at school. My counselor made sure to get me a pass that said I could leave class 5 minutes early to avoid those terrifying crowds, and he also got me an elevator pass. I also made sure to have an extra set of books at home, and an extra set at school, so I wouldn't have to carry them back and forth. I also have someone carry some of my heavy things for me, such as heavy books, binders, notebooks, etc. All these things helped tremendously. I was a little nervous about going back to school too, I was afraid of what everyone would think of my pillow. So I decided to get a bag (kinda like a tote from American Eagle) and stuff my pillow in that, that way my pillow would hide in my bag and nobody can hardly tell. Nobody ever asks or makes fun of me about my pillow. I was actually surprised to find that my classmates have been very supportive at school. But my advice to you would be to talk with your counselor about making some special accomodations at school so you don't have to be worried about the crowded halls, the stairs, etc. Good luck at school!! Please keep us all posted on how it goes!
    Last edited by beach_chikie; 04-07-2008, 05:11 PM. Reason: forgot something =)
    [[hailey]]

16 years old
    Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
    Pre surgery: 52º Lumbar curve and 25º Thoracic curve

Comment

Sanah,
      Don't be embarrased about needing a pillow. It is what you need to support you after your surgery. People who break their arm or leg wear a cast, people who sprain their ankle or hurt their knee use crutches, but you had back surgery so you need a pillow. It's okay. People might look at you, but they don't mean to be rude. Just like you might look at someone's cast or crutches, they will look at your pillow and wonder why you need it.
      I use this pillow at home, in my car, and at college: http://www.comforthouse.com/bacpil.html. It is inflatable so you blow it up to exactly the amount of air that you need. I have heard from people that you can get a little drawstring bag (like this: http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDet...3&Click=205964) and put it in there and no one ever knows that you have a pillow. You can carry your books in your hands, and wear the bag on your back (VERY light because its only air) and when you get in class just take the bag off and leave it resting on the back of your seat.
      Hope it went well at school today, and good luck going back next week.

Comment

Thank you! I actually didn't have to go in yesterday because my teacher had a cold and recommended that I not come so that I didn't catch it. The passes and the pillow will be a great help!
        Pre-Op:
        UT-35*. T-55*, L-30*
        16 year old girl
        Post-OP:

Comment

Pillow

Hey Sanah.

I'm Annessa and im 15. When i went back to school i had my pillow too. Everyone was fine about it and nobody laughed at me or anything. In fact, my friends said that it looked comfy and they wanted a shot too!

So don't worry about it!

Hope your recovery goes well.
          Mum to Annessa, age 15
          53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
          Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
          Edinburgh, Sick Kids
          Fused T4 - L1

Comment

thanks

^__^ heh it would look awfully comfy, thank you everyone for your replies! It looks like I'm going back to school on the 14th.
            Pre-Op:
            UT-35*. T-55*, L-30*
            16 year old girl
            Post-OP:

Comment

Working...
            X