Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Forum--first post, considering surgery and SCARED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear ya Chris WBS.....

That is my fear, that I am not having pain, discomfort etc and that the surgery might potentially make things worse, even though I know the end result with a straighter back is better....like you that is my fear, the whole if it aint broke don't fix it....although I know I will need it SOMETIME, do I do it now??

I totally aggree with txmarimemom and that is why I want to get MANY opinions....trust me, i have my xray's since 88....they laugh at me when I come in with the HUGE file of films....I say "oh if these xray's could talk...better yet...SING"---those 80 tunes were great weren't they!!

To all the women who responded about their preg journey.....thank you thank you--the stories are all so different and help me see both sides of the fence....skoshi341 and leklien... you make me see that it might be best BEFORE the demands of kids....before they have kindgergarten birthday parties, show and tell and eventually Drum major--CONGRATS!! or Eagle Scouts(my bro did that)

Heathmoose, thanks for your kind words and the pm....you make me see it is ok to take care of me first and then kids.....and since we are very similiar in age when you started your journey, you have already been there done that and can relate to the whole "don't wait too late to have kids" I love hearing that you got the surgery outta the way and then had an easy pregnancy! That is my biggest fear at the moment that by the time I have healed it might be too late for kids.....

Thanks again for ALL the support I have gotten in just the past few days....the doctors sometimes have tons of different ways of telling you things, but hearing it from REAL patients who have been there....all I can say is WOW and thanks...I am so glad I found this site and I feel so much support already! For all of you who have been there before...all of us that are just starting to go down the road say THANKS....you are our guardian angels
    Summer from NC
    Diagnosed 11yo
    wore brace for 4 years
    48 degrees in 1997 post bracing
    55 degrees Feb 2008
    considering surgery in future...

Comment

trouble sitting???

Chris:
      It's not inevitable you will have trouble sitting---I had an 80 deg thoracic reduced to 40 deg and fused t-4 to sacrum--No pain now and NEVER had trouble sitting post-op. We don't want any self-fulfiling prophesies!!!
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

To Chris WBS

I know what you mean - I used to always like to sit with my feet tucked up under me. I think once the fusion is solid, I should be able to do it again but not for the time being.

Sitting was the hardest thing for me for the first couple of months. Now I am fine - in most situations. There is one movie theatre we go to that has uncomfortable seats and I always have to get up and walk around - but ther are others that are fine and I have no trouble sitting the entire 2 hours.

I was cleared to sit with my legs crossed at my 2 month post op visit.

My next challenge will be a trip to London in June - with the connecting flights etc I figure I will be upright for 13-14 hours.
        Jan Lotherington,
        56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
        A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
        at age 55
        Dr Bridwell

Comment

Jan,

I think it's amazing that you are traveling overseas just six months after your big surgery. Sounds like you are doing extremely well. Good for you. I hope I can say the same some day.

Chris

Comment

Summer,

How did your Dr. appointment go last Friday?

-Rachel-
            Upper curve 36*
            Lower curve 55*

Comment

Hey Summer, yes you and I have a lot in common! I met with a surgeon on Friday. He said the scoli is progressing and will likely continue to progress. Surgery is an option for me but I am going to wait a year or two and see what happens. I leave for grad school in August. I plan on having surgery TENTATIVELY next May...giving me the summer to recuperate. I see the surgeon again in December or January. I was given muscle relaxants and vicodin for the pain (I have horrible back pain). I don't like to take the vicodin because it makes me loopy though It sucks but I just have the attitude of "I am not gonna let scoliosis ruin my life plans!" Let me know how your doctors appts go!
              28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
              1998 22T/20L
              2002 30T/28L
              2006 34T/28L
              2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

Hi Summer - welcome!

I wanted to address a couple of things from your post, the first being the skiing/horseback riding thing. Do I understand correctly that a doctor told you that wouldn't be possible ever again, or did he say not for the first year or something similar? Because my doctor has already cleared me to snowboard if I choose (though I don't choose), and I'm 8 months post-op. I've also seen posts on here from other women who have gone back to horseback riding. That caught my attention so I just wanted to mention it.

Also, we are the same age, and I was taking some of the same things into consideration pre-surgery, namely pregnancy. It is something that I hope is in my near future, and all my thoughts led me to the conclusion I'd rather have this surgery now. For one, my pain was increasing, and I knew that if vacuuming was sending me to bed, there was no way I could care for a child. And as others have said, there is no "good" time for this, so you have to choose the "best" time.

I have four nieces and nephews I am very close to, and when I saw them again at three months post-op, I was able to keep up with their activities, run around with them and play. I was only cleared to lift 40 pounds, but that's enough to keep up with them. Your energy levels are pretty low immediately after this surgery, and that would be a big concern of mine if I had children.

Obviously just more food for thought, I'm not trying to sway your decision. I'm sure you will think through it all, and with the experiences of others on here, you will be making a very informed decision. This is a great place to be, everyone was a huge support to me before and after surgery.
                31 year old female
                55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Been away for a few days...

Hey to all and thanks to those who responded to my post. Rach I wanted to let you know how the doc went....I have been so busy since then I havent had a chance to post....

I went to the doctor last Friday and got some pretty good news. The doctor read my films from 1998 at almost 50 and the ones from 2008 at 56. He basically told me after listning to me (no pain presently, no limitations), looking at my back and watching me walk(he said I was very balanced--like a 2 story chimney not leaning tower of pisa) and looking at my xrays that he would recommend a wait and see approach...He said with the measuring error of +- 5 degrees, (I have not clue how to do that symbol) that he didn't see a need to jump into surgery mode right now. He said I seem to be very healthy and he would just watch it closely. He recommended since I am only 31 to keep an eye on it and if he sees major progression then he would recommend we consider it down the road....which made me and my mom jump up and down once the doc left the room.

I am not really sure how to take the whole "wait and see" thing, but since I obviously don't want to get the surgery I am all for that method ...I just hate to have it looming out there...but I am trying to stay positive that I have some GOOD years ahead of me before I have to have the surgery. I just read a new post on here where a mom is considering waiting bc she has no pain and I am sure it is something most of us have gone through with higher curves and no pain...

I am considering one other opinion with Dr. Hey as I have heard so many good things about him...but right now he is not in my ins plan so I would have to do a self pay...so I may wait till Jan when our ins plan changes....my mom really trusts the doc we saw Friday bc he just operated on my stepdad's back (not for scoli) and she thinks I should just live my life and go back next year......go out on a high note

Mobee 21--sounds like we are in the same situation and I too feel like I don't want to let is ruin my life so I am just going to live life to the fullest and hope for the best...keep me posted on your journey

Geo..thanks so much for the info on skiing and other stuff....I was a little bummed when that one doc said that, but this new doctor (come to find out he has been at this for 20 years) said those things shouldn't be an issue after a few years....YEAH!! I know I might have to undertake this one day, so it is good to know I can still have fun when I get done with recovery
                  Summer from NC
                  Diagnosed 11yo
                  wore brace for 4 years
                  55 degrees Feb 2008

Comment

Summer,

Well, I am glad to hear you had a positive visit with your Dr. It’s good that you don’t have to rush into surgery and that you are healthy enough to enjoy yourself and if need be, plan for it in the future ( hopefully not). It’s not an easy decision to make that’s for sure, but at least you don’t have to make it yet. Well, I hope for the very best for you and your future planning . Keep me updated.

-Rachel-
                    Upper curve 36*
                    Lower curve 55*

Comment

Rach-

What have you decided to do? It is a hard decision to make, I wish you the best--just wondering what you are planning to do

We should definitly stay in touch
                      Summer from NC
                      Diagnosed 11yo
                      wore brace for 4 years
                      55 degrees Feb 2008

Comment

I had my 4 children but then I never knew at that time that I even had scoliosis. What I did want to add was how much yoga has helped me over the years. After the 3 or 4th class I couldn't believe how much better my back felt. By the time I was needing surgery the surgeon told me he could not believe how functional I was with the curve I had and I attibute it all to yoga.
                        CarolS
                        68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                        Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                        Osteotomy March 20,2008
                        Thrilled with results!

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
                          I know exactly what you're saying. Even with an 80º curve, I’m still doing pretty well. I will require a fusion to the sacrum and when I asked my surgeon if I will still be able to sit with my legs tucked under my hips which is what I frequently do while reading or watching TV, he said no and added that I will always have a problem with sitting. I was disheartened to hear this as I have no problem now whatsoever with sitting. Last week I spoke to a woman who had surgery a year ago. She is around my age and required a long fusion. She is still using a walker at times to steady herself as she now has a problem with leaning to the left and she said that she can’t even cross her legs. But what other choice besides surgery do I have when my spine is collapsing?

Chris
                          Hi Chris
                          I just read what your surgeon told you and I wanted to let you know that in Sept 07 I had a fusion from T8 to sacrum. I can sit on the floor and cross my legs. I can bend forward, from my hips, shave my legs and cut toenails. I can even twist slightly to the side which my surgeon said I wouldn't be able to do. Just thought it would encourage you to know how it can be!! Have a great day. Carol
                          CarolS
                          68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                          Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                          Osteotomy March 20,2008
                          Thrilled with results!

Comment

Summer,

I am not totally sure to be honest. I am definitely leaning toward surgery (I hate to say it out loud). The surgeon I went to would like to take a look at me in six months to see how rapid my progression is. With in this 6 month time period I am hoping I can begin to digest the very thought of surgery. I may try a chiropractor again and get some other opinions from other surgeons, so if nothing else, I know in my head I did everything I could. I am still very overwhelmed by all of this. I am not sure what is best for me just yet. Good grief. Anyway, I will definitely keep you posted.
                            Upper curve 36*
                            Lower curve 55*

Comment

Working...
                            X