4 months post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 months post-op

Well, I had my four month post op phone call today (I'll see the doc again at 6 months), and all restrictions have been lifted (with the exception of golf, tennis, basketball and soccer.. none of which are on my to-do list!).

I am allowed to bend, lift and twist again. Of course I will ease into it, and try not to do too much too fast. I'll definitely be at a yoga class this week, to test out how my new body moves (of course I wont push anything too far).

I'm debating what I'll tell my boyfriend.. I'm afraid if I tell him I'm "back to normal" that I'll have to do my own laundry again ~sigh~
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

YAY!! How are you feeling in yourself at the moment? Are you feeling back to normal or are still getting pain? I know you've been back into physio and things, and that tends to stir it up. How much are you working?
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Yes, I am feeling mostly back to "normal." I get tired easier than before, still, but I also have a tendency to do more than I should. I get some pain in my ribs and soreness in my back when I over do it.

I guess it's important to consider this in the context of (gasp) the rest of my life that is un-related to my back surgery! Deadlines for my masters thesis have moved forward because a committee member's availability has changed. As such, I now need to finish writing the first draft (data collection, analysis, writing it up etc) by the end of May. That may mean I have to leave my job (an internship I've had since last May) in order to work fulltime on my thesis without an income. No fun. Right now, I'm at work 2-3 days a week, and working on my thesis the rest of the time. I guess I don't really have much time for my back... and I'm doing my best to make time for PT etc.

Sorry, that was probably a longer, more detailed answer than you expected!
      2000 34*L/39*T
      2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
      (initially planned T4-L1)
      12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Wow, that is a really intense timeframe to work on. The good news is, that once you have done the data analysis writing the discussion is easy. Plus, you can write up the methods and literature review while the data collection is happening. I'm amazed at how well you are doing, but it sounds like a really busy time! I'm lucky that I have a bit more flexibility with my studies, the university is being really understanding. I'm getting back into my thesis now, which is really good.
        It was a relief to hear that you are still sore, as some 'helpful' people have been wondering why at 4 months post op I still get pain. I knew that it was normal, but it's good to have it confirmed!
        Keep up the good work! You're doing so well!
        1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
        2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
        2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
        Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
        msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Happy 4 Month Anniversary!

Congratulations, Vindy!!!!

You are doing just great! I know how much you want to do everything NOW. Seize the day, but be careful with your new back that you and Dr. Wood worked so hard to achieve. You have plenty of laundry days ahead of you!

Linda W.
          Linda
          Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
          S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
          Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
          Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

I am so glad you are doing so well!!!! Tell your BF you are fine but that your doctor thinks you should not have to worry yourself with mundane tasks like laundry , cooking, cleaning etc. for another year...bwahahahha!
            28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
            1998 22T/20L
            2002 30T/28L
            2006 34T/28L
            2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

That's super, vndy!!! I'm so glad that you are doing so well. At the same time, I'm so sorry that you have SO MUCH to do!!! I think if you have to do EVERYTHING (like laundry), you may get a little overwhelmed. Maybe your boyfriend could still do a lot of the housework tasks so you can concentrate on your studies... You said you still tire easily, so you are not ready (yet) for jumping in feet first and getting it ALL done by yourself. You've got a sensible head on your shoulders, so just let some things slide that aren't as important. You know how to prioritize, and now would be a good time to do that, if you haven't already. (In my book, the housework stuff comes near the bottom!)

Take care, and keep us posted on how you're doing. Hugs, Susie
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
              X