Saw my surgeon this morning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw my surgeon this morning...

I went to see my surgeon (Dr. Scott Rushton out of Penna. Hospital) this morning. He has suggested I go for physical therapy for 3 months and then go back in June to see him. At that time we'll discuss surgery. He said he would do posterior/anterior surgery with fusion from T3 to L5. I am going to do as he asked in regards to the pt and also during that time get a couple of other opinions. I was thinking maybe Dr. Fras in Phila. and Dr. Boachie in NY.

Wow, what alot to think and pray about! I'm so thankful to have found this forum. Everyone seems so open about their experiences and so supportive of each other. I'm just starting this journey, but it's comforting to be able to share the good and the bad with people who understand.

Connie
    57 yr. old female

50 degree and 73 degree curves
    90 degree rotation

Hi Connie,
    I am 46 and had surgery with Dr. Boachie Dec. '06. Just thought I would tell you about my experience - I had 3 curves, one was over 100 deg with a 180 deg rotation (big rib humb- yuck!). I was fused T4- Sacrum and am doing fine and you would never know that I have a "back problem". I still have a large curve on the xray but it is virtually invisible. I am very pleased- you will do fine. Glad you found the forum!
    Cathie

Comment

Hi Connie,

Are your curves progressing? With two 50º curves, you’re probably well balanced, and if they’re stable, it’s entirely possible that you can avoid surgery. Speaking about Dr. Boachie, I viewed these video presentations of his and was surprised to see that in the case of the 63-year-old retired school teacher, he did not recommend surgery for her even though her curves are 50/80 (identical to mine). His reasoning is because she is functioning quite well. I’m sure her age and overall health are also taken into consideration. If you can spare about 30 minutes to view his presentations, it’s well worth the time.
      http://www.hss.edu/conditions_15853.asp

Chris

Comment

Oh, Chris--I looked at the HSS thing..I think I'll die if I see my own body up there, everybody looks so bad....aughh! Oh well all for science, right...Lynne
        Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 03-28-2008, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Cathie - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. I've read so many great things about Dr. Boachie. Did he have to do posterior/anterior surgery? I think that's what concerns me most.

Chris - I just finished watching both of Dr. Boachie's video presentations. I see what you mean. I was very surprised at the severity of some of the peoples' scoliosis and how they are getting along just fine without surgery. I intend to be very careful deciding on surgery. At the very least I will try all non-surgical options first. I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 8 and did nothing about it other than chiropractic care. It's now to the point that I feel pain all the time and I've lost about 3". I made an appt. with Dr. Boachie for May 1st to hear his recommendations and in the mean time will be going for Physical Therapy. Thanks so much for your imput. It was very helpful! I just read on one of your posts that you will be having surgery with Dr. Gupta in June. The best of luck to you. You will be in my prayers.

Connie
          Last edited by connier815; 03-28-2008, 05:16 PM.
          57 yr. old female

90 degree rotation

Comment

Lynne - Good luck to you in your surgery....in August? Are you using Dr. Boachie?
            57 yr. old female

90 degree rotation

Comment

I had surgery in Aug 2006/Dr. Boachie & Dr. Kim, I also had post/ant & like Cathie had a severe case..hump & curve.
              Refering to the previous post of mine, I said to Dr. Boachie when my pictures prior to surgery were taken, that I really hoped I never was on one of those scoliosis videos! He said everyones eyes are covered up on those so noone knows...ah, I know my body!!!!!
              Ly

Connie--good luck with all & your aoppmt in May.......

Comment

Working...
              X