Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoos

Hello everyone!

I posted about a year ago, asking if there was anyone out there with scoliosis or had scoliosis surgery, that have tattoos on their back, but didn't get much of a response. I got a tattoo about a year ago (as you can see in the picture in my profile) to celebrate my back and everything I've gone through as a scoliosis patient, and I was wondering if there are anymore of you out there! If so, put up a pic and let's share them!

xo
    lisanicolegrace
    29/F/Canada
    Surgery - 11/10/2000
    80° curve to 19° post op.
    www.lisanicolegrace.com
    @lisanicolegrace
    facebook
    x-rays
    picture of my back

Tats

I'm planning to add another to my collection, but I haven't designed it yet.

Not sure how long I should wait after surgery (another weird question so Hanson can roll his eyes at me - LOL), or if that's even an issue.

I'm still working on designing my Marine Corps (daughter, sister, mom) one planned for my right bicep.

You betcha I'd not let this surgery pass without one in honor of it all. Hell, I even printed and framed my pre-op and post-op x-rays to hang in my living room - LOL.

Some might find that - and having my surgeon take pics of my surgery - a bit macabre, but I don't at all.

Go figure my 18-1/2 year old starts Mortuary College soon - lmao!

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

I actually have two tattoos on the bottom of my back. I have surgery on Tuesday, I don't think my incision will reach the tattoos but I will take some pictures and get them out !!
      Jamie Age 29
      Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
      2008 Curves - 39/63/44
      Surgery Date - 3/25/08
      T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Miami ink

I remember seeing an episode of Miami ink where a girl wanted to cover up her scoliosis scar. I don't remember what it looks like. You may be able to see it on their web site.

Comment

Originally posted by PNUTTRO
          I remember seeing an episode of Miami ink where a girl wanted to cover up her scoliosis scar. I don't remember what it looks like. You may be able to see it on their web site.
          You know, PC, with the way my nerves are itching far below my scar, the skin alternating between numbness and stabbing (split second ... like make you jump in your chair and alarm people - LOL!) pains, I'd be SCARED to get the scar tattoed.

My luck, I'd get 1/2 way through the process and they'd encounter a previously unknown impassable area that prevented progress.

Half a tat. Just my luck. LOL

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

I got this tattoo in memory of my mother. She fought a tremendous battle with breast cancer for 13 years. She was diagnosed at age 47 and died just after her 60th birthday. She died in July of 2007. My mother was my best friend in the whole world. I got this tattoo 2 days after she passed away. It is on my lower back and is very special to me.
            28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
            1998 22T/20L
            2002 30T/28L
            2006 34T/28L
            2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

I'm sorry. I consider tatoos disfirguring, But it is your choice

I respect everyone to do as they please. I have a serious deformity, 125 degree curve. It occured to me once to expose my deformed back with a tatoo because I was angry, but then thought otherwise. I prefer to minimize my deformity with padding on the flat side and with flattering clothing. But we all have different ways of dealing with deformity; it is not easy. I support you in whatever choice you make.
              Donna

Comment

Mortuary College

Pam-read about your 18 y/o wanting to get into the mortuary biz. I have family members in the funeral industry. I am from Boston, MA and there is a huge Catholic population here. Each parish has its own funeral home. My extended family runs 5 funeral homes around the Boston area. It is a great business to get into. People always tend to think that someone in that industry must be deranged to want to work with dead people...but it is just the opposite! Having a funeral home, or mortician that you trust to be gentle and treat your loved one's remains with respect and care gives families peace of mind. I have been at the funeral home and seen some of the processes. Every time I was there I witnessed the bodies being handled with care, gently, and treated with respect and dignity. Congrats to your kid for wanting to enter a business. Death never goes "out of vogue"...the industry will always be stable. Nothing is certain in life...except for death and taxes! I know that my uncle always had difficulty dealing with the deaths of young people and children. In those situations, he says, you can't remove yourself emotionally from the situation..as much as you try it is still very, very sad to embalm a baby, child, teen, college kid, young mother etc. Funeral workers provide invaluable services to family and friends of the deceased.

1994 20T/20L
                1998 22T/20L
                2002 30T/28L
                2006 34T/28L
                2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

Originally posted by Mobee211
                  Pam-read about your 18 y/o wanting to get into the mortuary biz. I have family members in the funeral industry. I am from Boston, MA and there is a huge Catholic population here. Each parish has its own funeral home. My extended family runs 5 funeral homes around the Boston area. It is a great business to get into. People always tend to think that someone in that industry must be deranged to want to work with dead people...but it is just the opposite! Having a funeral home, or mortician that you trust to be gentle and treat your loved one's remains with respect and care gives families peace of mind. I have been at the funeral home and seen some of the processes. Every time I was there I witnessed the bodies being handled with care, gently, and treated with respect and dignity. Congrats to your kid for wanting to enter a business. Death never goes "out of vogue"...the industry will always be stable. Nothing is certain in life...except for death and taxes! I know that my uncle always had difficulty dealing with the deaths of young people and children. In those situations, he says, you can't remove yourself emotionally from the situation..as much as you try it is still very, very sad to embalm a baby, child, teen, college kid, young mother etc. Funeral workers provide invaluable services to family and friends of the deceased.
                  Mobee, I didn't in any way mean to be insensitive or insinuate Mortuary Science is macabre ... it was a poor follow up to my mention of framing my x-rays and being proud of my surgery photos.

I truly believe it's a calling, and yes, Larra constantly speaks of her desire to respect the deceased - and help the families through a trying time. She wanted to be a therapist prior to her interest in this 4-5 years ago, and really, it's quite similar - just on a more abbreviated timeline (counseling and comforting the families, that is).

My Dad passed away in 2003 after a hard fought battle with lung cancer. Please accept my condolences on your Mom. It's tough to face something like this surgery and really, REALLY wish more than anything they were beside you to help and advise. (big hugs, honey)

Donna, we're all different and there's nothing more personal than what we do with our bodies. Actually, I'm glad every time I hear of someone who says (basically) "I thought about getting a tattoo once, but didn't". It's a lifelong thing, and I can only imagine getting one and regretting it ... bleck!

I'm headed to a hot bath full of bubbles now because my surgeon said I can! (ok, I had to beg, but he *eventually* said yes ;-).

Rest well, all. Jamie, you're in my thoughts for tomorrow!

Regards,
                  Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Oh no no no I did not think you were insinuating anything negative about mortuary science at all! I posted because I thought it was cool that your son was going into that field

Thanks for the kind words about my mom. yes, there are times I desperately still need her! My condolences on your loss as well!

1994 20T/20L
                    1998 22T/20L
                    2002 30T/28L
                    2006 34T/28L
                    2008 43T/34L

Comment

Mobee,

You tattoo is awesome! What a great way to honor your Mom and also to bring awareness to breast cancer.

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I want to get something done which has scoliosis in it but haven't yet decided exactly when to do it to fit in with my life. I do have a couple of others, one of which was done last October.

My surgeon told me to wait 12 months after surgery to reduce risk (however tiny) of infection.

BTW, I'm not getting my scar done...only my shoulder.
                        Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                        Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                        http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have a tattoo on my right shoulder blade. Had it done about 10 years ago. I haven't decided if I will be adding any more or not. I had originally thought of maybe a flowered vine up the scar, but now I just want to show it off proudly to the world. I still can't believe I survived this enormous surgery and walked away pain free. I want the world to know that I am strong and will wear the scar for all the world to see.
                          Geish
                          47 years old, dx at 13
                          +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                          Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                          http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                          http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

I want a tatoo, but am finding it really hard to find something that is symbolic of strength through struggles... I was actually thinking of a pedicle screw! My boyfriend saw a guy at the formula 1 grand prix with a giant tatoo down his spine of a spine! He had all the bones marked out. Sounds a bit grosss. I think a scoliosis spine with correction would be much more impressive but ew!
                            1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
                            2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                            2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
                            Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
                            msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Yeah I am about to get a tattoo on my rib hump..the right side that sticks out a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X