Packet of info for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
    From reading posts for awhile, this seems to be another area that doctors vary on their recommendations. Only a few weeks ago, it was Hailey/beach_chikie who said her doctor wanted her back at school at 3 weeks post-op. Here's the thread:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6895

I think she ended up going half days for a week or two, and then full time. But I also think she said it was very tiring.

Pooka1-- I'll be praying for S on the 26th. Also-- my opinion (for what it's worth) -- after she returns to school, I think it would be more comfortable for her to rest lying down in the nurse's office than in the van-- but maybe your van is more comfortable than mine! Hugs.
    Thanks, Susie.

Not only that child but also Swimbum (sp?) recovered quickly. And the child on spinekids who left the hospital after 3 days.

I don't understand the need by some to deny these testimonials. Maybe they are all lying.

These are all consistent with what the surgeon is telling us.

I'm not saying I know my child will recover quicker than average. I'm not counting on that. I'm just saying it isn't obvious that she won't recover on the same schedule as these other children.

sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf

Is there any particular reason, Sharon, that you don't wish to share his name with us?
      Because folks here will pretend to know the surgeon and make stuff up just like they make up "direct" quotes.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1
        Because folks here will pretend to know the surgeon and make stuff up just like they make up "direct" quotes.

sharon
        What would they make up? I am truly confused by that statement. Reason being, I have been on this board a couple of years and I have never witnessed that happening.

In fact, most of the time, when someone talks about one surgeon or another, they have had personal experience with him or her.

Are you saying you think someone will pretend that they used him when they didn't?

If so, again, I have NEVER seen that and I've been around here a while.

For instance, Dr. D'Andrea did David's surgery. Now we see Dr. Betz. What could anyone say about them that would upset me???

I'm sorry I just don't understand your fear of divulging his name - unless there is something I am not privy to.
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1
          I don't understand the need by some to deny these testimonials. Maybe they are all lying.
          Sharon,

If that is true, then aren't you denying "testimonials" by parents who said it took their kids 6 or 7 weeks, or more, to return to school full time?
          mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Hey Pooka, if your concerned about your surgeon's experience, you could always google the doctor, i did this for fun for my doctor and it says he does about 140/yr and hes horridly busy, so i do find hundreds (if you mean a year) a lot...but i would suggest you do a bit of researching thru the net to see if his claims are valid...
            Danielle
            14 Freshwoman
            December 1st got no head the boston brace
            Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
            In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
            In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
            We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Originally posted by ElleBelleCurvz
              Hey Pooka, if your concerned about your surgeon's experience, you could always google the doctor, i did this for fun for my doctor and it says he does about 140/yr and hes horridly busy, so i do find hundreds (if you mean a year) a lot...but i would suggest you do a bit of researching thru the net to see if his claims are valid...
              I'm not concerned. I researched the surgeon. There is nobody better to do this surgery within some large radius.

Other folks appear to be concerned although they should be working on their quoting skills instead.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon,

If that is true, then aren't you denying "testimonials" by parents who said it took their kids 6 or 7 weeks, or more, to return to school full time?
                No. I am saying there is no reason to think those recovery trajectories are relevant to my child's situation as opposed to the other trajectories.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

What would they make up? I am truly confused by that statement. Reason being, I have been on this board a couple of years and I have never witnessed that happening.

In fact, most of the time, when someone talks about one surgeon or another, they have had personal experience with him or her.

Are you saying you think someone will pretend that they used him when they didn't?

If so, again, I have NEVER seen that and I've been around here a while.

For instance, Dr. D'Andrea did David's surgery. Now we see Dr. Betz. What could anyone say about them that would upset me???

I'm sorry I just don't understand your fear of divulging his name - unless there is something I am not privy to.
                  There is nothing you aren't privy to since I sent you the name. That surgeon is as advertised.

But when you have folks pretending to direct quote others (complete with quote marks), anything is possible. They are reckless.

This is why I like the newsgroup format better... you can killfile dishonest folks who deliberately misquote, lie, etc..

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon,

I think you may have me confused with someone else. You didn't send me his name.

If you did I would not have asked who he was. I still don't know and at this point it doesn't matter to me - I just think that when something is kept secret it makes people all the more curious. That just happens to be human nature.

(and you never told me what makes you think other forum members would fabricate stuff about him if they knew who he was. can you point out another instance on this forum where that happened? I really would be interested).
                    Last edited by mariaf; 03-20-2008, 06:29 PM.
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Sharon,

I think you may have me confused with someone else. You didn't send me his name.
                      Yes you're right. I was mistaken. I just checked my outbox and see I sent it to someone else.

If you did I would not have asked who he was. I still don't know and at this point it doesn't matter to me - I just think that when something is kept secret it makes people all the more curious. That just happens to be human nature.

(and you never told me what makes you think other forum members would fabricate stuff about him if they knew who he was. can you point out another instance on this forum where that happened? I really would be interested).
                      I cite the behavior of a respondent in this thread as being reckless.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

The problem with posting on forums, sending emails, letters, etc - is that quite often things can be taken the wrong way because we are only read words and don't have the associated tones with a face to face conversation.

Sometimes there's lots to read on the forums and you can misread information plus VERY easy to also get confused with what you've read in a previous thread. I've done that - and felt very embarrassed or called someone the wrong name.

Why do people come on here?? To get clarification of the information that they are being told. To get information from others of their experiences. To compare notes and get advice.

Post-op surgery members - are so grateful for all the help that they received for themselves or their child prior to the surgery that like myself they want to see if they can't repay that debt by "passing it forward" the wonderful advice and friendship that has been given.

We don't need to argue over an honest mistake, forgive and forget and move on. Too much hate and anger in the world already and we're all big enough to move on.

Let's stick to helping each other out with advice and friendship both pre and post surgery. Have a laugh along the way to relieve the ENORMOUS stress ball that we all go through prior to this big event either for ourselves or our precious kids!

Big group hug now!
                        Aunty Del
                        xx

(See I'm in a better mood today!)
                        Last edited by Aussiemum; 03-20-2008, 06:53 PM.
                        Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                        Sydney - Australia
                        Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                        Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                        Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                        L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Thanks, Del...

You get the award for trying to smooth things over and lighten things up a bit... "Aunty Del" and her big group hug. That made me chuckle for awhile. Thanks!

By the way, those were impressive before and after pics of Elysia's back.
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Beating a dead horse...

Originally posted by Some wacky person :D

5. Usually the child is able to go back to school 3 weeks after the surgery(!). An absence of 4 weeks is the usual criterion for obtaining homebound school instruction and most patients are back at school by that time. This is in keeping with what the surgeon told us... 3 weeks... but I didn't realize he was counting from the surgery date and not the date when she comes home!
                            From a page on the Scottish Rite web site... this group claims the following:

http://www.tsrhc.org/default.asp?contentID=31

"Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children is a world leader in the treatment of pediatric orthopedic conditions."

http://www.tsrhc.org/default.asp?contentID=102

"Scoliosis surgery usually takes several hours. Most children go home within a week of surgery and don’t need postoperative bracing or casting. They can usually return to school three weeks after the surgery and should be able to resume all regular activities within six months."

It's too early to tell if Savannah will return at about three weeks. I'm very curious at this point what will happen after all the back and forth on this topic. Most of everything else from our surgeon has been as advertised (or better as appears to be the case of the de-rotation) so I'm hoping this will be also.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiemum
                              The problem with posting on forums, sending emails, letters, etc - is that quite often things can be taken the wrong way because we are only read words and don't have the associated tones with a face to face conversation.

Sometimes there's lots to read on the forums and you can misread information plus VERY easy to also get confused with what you've read in a previous thread. I've done that - and felt very embarrassed or called someone the wrong name.

Why do people come on here?? To get clarification of the information that they are being told. To get information from others of their experiences. To compare notes and get advice.

Post-op surgery members - are so grateful for all the help that they received for themselves or their child prior to the surgery that like myself they want to see if they can't repay that debt by "passing it forward" the wonderful advice and friendship that has been given.

We don't need to argue over an honest mistake, forgive and forget and move on. Too much hate and anger in the world already and we're all big enough to move on.

Let's stick to helping each other out with advice and friendship both pre and post surgery. Have a laugh along the way to relieve the ENORMOUS stress ball that we all go through prior to this big event either for ourselves or our precious kids!

Big group hug now!
                              Aunty Del
                              xx

(See I'm in a better mood today!)

I know I am new here! But I totaally agree. Let's not argue the point here. Different Dr's have different opinions. Every person is different.

Comment

Originally posted by KJUNGRL2
                                I know I am new here! But I totally agree. Let's not argue the point here. Different Dr's have different opinions. Every person is different.
                                Yes they do. It wouldn't make much sense to suggest otherwise.

I think it would help if there was some resource about the ranges of these things done by different doctors. Then folks would have a better sense of the variation out there which would hopefully head off some specious conclusions (or at least many posts in this thread!).

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X