"In Training" for surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "In Training" for surgery!

My career has been a Clinical Exercise Physiologist in a hospital so along with my deep interest in fitness, I always wanted to present a good role model to my patients, therefore I have been exercising for around 25 years. That said, when I went for my revision last year, I was riding the stationary bike for 90 minutes at a time and lifting weights, three to four days a week. Well I haven't done a thing since everything fell apart after that surgery so I decided that I really needed to get back in some kind of shape to better handle these two surgeries facing me. Well knowing what I know about the body and conditioning/deconditioning, I should have lost a lot of my fitness in a few short months. Much to my surprise, after one week I am back up to 90 minutes on the bike and lifting, albiet light weights but happy with that. So there I am, hobbling with my walker, slumped over, into the gym at the hospital but I'm doing it.

Yes, I need to rest when I came home but other than helping my mom help me with my two year old, that is all I have been doing so it does feel good to be tired from exercise instead of drugs. (No, I no longer work. They "eliminated" me when I couldn't return after 12 weeks. I should be getting disability though. I am going through an attorney for that.)

Congratulations! That's wonderful that you are doing so well in the gym. I am sorry to hear that your job was eliminated. Good luck with the attorney. Stay strong.
    Alicia
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Exercising in a pool helps. You can do a shorter workout and still get the benefits! 15 minutes on a treadmill in water is like 45 minutes on land and less stress on your back.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion but the bike is my "private time" since I am the mom of a toddler. I can sit there and read the entire time without being disturbed ! He other reason I like the bike is because I can barely stand so it suits me well.

To the admins: Can you move this post to the revision threads? Thanks, Krysi

Comment

Prep for surgery

I, too, am in training for surgery. Mine is with Lawrence Lenke on August 4 for fusion T4 to the sacrum (posterior).

In 1989, I was first diagnosed with scoliosis. It's an S-curve. The number that I have from 89 is 55 degrees. The more recent number is over 90 with the worst in the lumbar region. I am 63.

I have been having more and more difficulty walking and standing. To prepare: I go to the gym three days a week. The exercises that I do there are designed with the help of a trainer and with exercises recommended on a web site accessible from Dr. Lenke's. Three other days a week, I do water aerobics with a good class and instructor. Ocassionally, we take four or five mile bike rides.

I've also been reading everything I can find. I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this Forum! Samsmom just provided a particularly useful posting. The best book that I have found is Scoliosis Surgery by David K. Wolpert (a patient). I've shared it with my husband and daughter so that they are better prepared.

I seem to be tired more often and have increased difficulty breathing. I am also having difficulty keeping up with work and other things in the face of my preparation.

This is my first posting on this Forum. Eventually, I'll look for others with surgery scheduled for July/August, 2008. Also, I'll do something to improve my signature for the Forum ... as soon as I find where it was I set it up.

Recommendations for navigating the Forum and for surgery prep are most welcome ... of course!
          Cheryl

Double major idiopathic scoliosis from 1988; progressed to 53 degree thoracic/65 degree lumbar.
          Corrected (with posterior surgery, fusion from T4 to the sacrum, & instrumentation) on August 4, 2008
          by Lawrence Lenke to within 10 degrees.

Love this forum! Thanks, all!

Comment

Hi CherylPJ! We're so glad you are part of the forum! It sounds like you are doing a lot to be in good shape for your upcoming surgery. To access the spot where you can make your "signature" you need to go to the main index page (just click on the far left entry "NSF Forums" in the box at the top of this page and you will get there.) Then it will say "NSF Forum" in black writing up at the top. Just below that (in the same box) is a blue line with white writing... the far left entry is "User CP" which stands for control panel... If you click on that, it will take you to the page you want. On the left side of that page are a series of choices. The top one is "settings and options" and you need to click on "edit signature" and maybe also "edit profile" if you want to add some information about yourself. There are some other choices you might want to do also. Anyway, that should get you started. Also in that top box when you have any page pulled up-- at the far right it will say "Welcome, CherylPJ" (or it should for you!) In that blue box area is where you can see if you have gotten any "private messages"-- I'll send you one so you can try it out. Maybe you already know this though. Best wishes learning to navigate around the forum-- and of course, with your journey down this scoliosis road! Susie
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Susie,
              There you you go again...being helpful. I told you you were a blessing to this forum. Not only have you given so much emotional support to all here, you also are great at explaining how to get around the site. Keep it up You would have been a great teacher.Thanx
              2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
              surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
              Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
              5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
              5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
              6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
              (left open with just clear dressing)
              6/6/08 recleaned and closed
              3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Garsh...

Sharon-- I think I'm just trying to help any others who possibly might be as dumb as me to figure things out quicker! I have had so many "epiphanies" here on the forum! Wish that somewhere in the FAQs they had a "forum for dummies" section!!! I had never been on any forum before this, and I've discovered different sections, ways to find out info, the calendars, etc., just by messing around--and it's happened rather s-l-o-w-l-y! Originally I ONLY went to the Adults first surgery section, because that was what I am... I bookmarked that and only read those posts. Somehow I discovered the rest, slowly, and realized how much helpful info I could find there-- and then hesitantly ventured forth to actually post in them. When no one clobbered me for being in the wrong section, I stayed. (Probably much to the annoyance of some!) Oh well! There are some who have left now, like Matjesnic, who were so helpful to me in just seeing how compassionate they were-- besides the info they shared. I know that probably none of us will continue to post forever, but while I'm here, I figure I should do my best to help those I can touch who are coming along a little behind me. Know what I mean? Anyway, thanks for your kind words, but they probably aren't earned. Hugs!
                Last edited by Susie*Bee; 04-14-2008, 09:50 AM. Reason: fix sentence
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                X