7 months post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 months post-op

I meant well when I started writing weekly updates, because that's the kind of info I was looking for pre-surgery. But what can I say, life happens! I'm 7.5 months post-op, and feeling good! I'll try to keep it brief:

-I still have numbness around the incision, or perhaps it's better described as I can tell when the skin is being touched, but the full-sensation has not returned

-I've been walking a LOT since surgery, and I am a full-on advocate for that! I've also been using the elliptical and bike comfortably for the past couple of months

-I haven't noticed any effect on my flexibility. But I am very conscientious of needing to take care of the UNfused vertebrae so still am not moving 100% naturally

-The hardware has not caused me any problems. I am still pretty aware of "something" holding me upright

-I still feel fatigue in my back after a long day, usually in my upper back (where the fusion is); laying down for 10-15 minutes helps a lot

Really, life is pretty much normal, and though I think of this every day, I go for very long stretches without it being a thought at all. I am even on my way to Peru in two days, so we'll see what 30-some-odd hours of flying does to my optimism!
    I hope you are well, I check in to the forum frequently even though I'm not posting so much.
    31 year old female
    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

I too have noticed that the amount of time I spend noticing or thinking about my back is steadily decreasing (which I am grateful for, as I was beginning to feel my back was dominating my whole life!). Do you feel balanced? Just the other day my boyfriend mentioned that the musculature in my back seemed to be evening out, and that made me wonder if it will continue to do so...

Glad to hear you're well, and that you're continuing to improve. Your posts and honest answers have been so helpful to me from the time I made my surgery decision

Have an AMAZING time in Peru!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Have a blast, geo! Like vndy, you provided me with lots of knowledge and encouragement ;-).

You'll *definitely* have to post pics when you get home!

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Bon voyage!

Geo-- it was great to hear from you! I'm so glad you are doing so well! Hope the 30 hour trip goes smoothly and you get to stretch and limber up ok. After you get back, be sure to let us hear from you on how the trip was... Take care!
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
        X