Curve location and degrees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curve location and degrees

It seems to me, just from a preliminary search, when there is more than one curve, the larger curve tends to be above the smaller curve. Mine is the opposite with thoracolumbar being greater than thoracic. I'd love to take a poll of curve angles/location to discover just how abnormal I really am. Well, as far as my curves go. Otherwise there is no measuring just how ABNORMAL I really am. Thanks for the input!
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

I have
    60* thoracic T5-T12 apex to right
    60* lumbar T12-L4 apex to left
    5cm leftward trunk shift
    So I'm pretty even as far as curves.
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

I had a lumbar curve (to the right, when looking at my back.) of 49* and had rotation above it, not another curve. That rotation gave me a rib hump. Hump is gone and my curve is now 8*.

Comment

Before my surgery, I had a lumbar curve of 52 degrees and a thoracic curve of 25 degrees, so I think I was in the same situation as you are as far as it goes to where the larger curve is... .

Take Care!!
        [[hailey]]

16 years old
        Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
        Pre surgery: 52º Lumbar curve and 25º Thoracic curve

Comment

My son had a bigger lumbar than thoracic curve and his was caused by a hemivertebra in his thoracic spine.
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

My main curve was thorocolumbar (in my midsection) -- 70 degrees. My compensatory curves were thoracic: 29 deg; lumbar: 40 deg.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I have a strange curve (you can check out my x-ray in my signature). My doctor has only ever measured my thoracic curve at 50 degrees because he considers the lumbar a compensatory curve. Even though my lumbar curve looks huge, it's probably around 30 degrees. I'll find out when I get a second opinion in 11 days.
              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
              2003- 33 degrees
              2005- 37 degrees
              2006- 44 degrees
              May 2007- 47 degrees
              December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
              Fused T1 to L2
              Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I have 3 curves. The only compensatory curve measurements I know are from my first ever x-rays-- a little less than 3 years ago... since then, only my major curve has been measured-- and this one is from shortly before my surgery last spring:

T1-T7 = 28º
                T8-L2 = 52º
                L3-sacrum = 26º

I also had a lateral listhesis between L2 and L3... and degenerative disc disease in the lumbars, and a +3 rotation.
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                X