Home Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Again

Anterior surgery went well on 24th January but I was poorly after Posterior surgery on 7th Feb. What a nightmare, pain out of control, severe hallucinations, was unwell and needed a blood transfusion several days after op. Did not come home until 18th Feb. Spent 27 days in hospital and it felt like a lifetime. Was fused from T3 to S5. I wish I could be as active as others but I seem to spend most of my time in bed and sleeping. I can't sit up for more than 30-50 minutes and can only walk outside about a hundred yards before I come back and need another sleep!! My Dr says it's because I'm on a lot of pain meds but when I tried to reduce them yesterday it was just too hard. It has to get better doesn't it??

Hazel
    Age 44. Thoracic curve age 19 45degrees. Now thoracic curve 65 degrees and lumber curve 43 degrees + disc degeneration. Surgery 24th January 2008 anterior, February 7th posterior.

Welcome home, Hazel -- yes, it does get better !! For some of us it just takes a bit longer. Try not to compare -- everybody reacts differently to this crazy surgery. I wouldn't try to cut back on pain meds yet because at this point it's easier to stay ahead of the pain rather than catch up to it after you're late with a dose. I dragged around on a walker for three months post-op and am just starting to feel like myself again at 8 months post-op.
    Don't fight the need to sleep; it's what your body needs.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Everyone is Different

We all handle this at our own pace. My posterior surgery was on the 29th. I was getting so frustrated because it seemed all I did was sleep. This week I'm just starting to notice some differences. I am able to stay awake all morning- just need a long afternoon nap. I've stopped using my walker around the house. The only problem is I don't seem to have the energy or motivation to walk much.
      I can't blame it on the weather. It has been in the 60's here in Arizona. I'm hoping that will come. Probably, just have to push myself. My sister is coming to visit tomorrow. It will be hard today not to overdo it- cleaning house. Oh, well the point is we need to have patience with our bodies. We're not all the same.
      There is not a time table we all need to be on. Healing will happen.
      CSC
      Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
      S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Welcome back!

It's so good to hear you are home, Hazel-- and good to hear from you too, csc! You are soooooo right! Everyone is different and speed of recovery depends on so many things. We just need to accept that, and then do our part of doing the things we're supposed to do (and not doing the things we're not supposed to do!) It has taken me much longer than I imagined, even with what I'd read and heard-- about taking 1-2 years for some.

You are both pretty "fresh" out of surgery, so get ready to be patient with yourselves. Recovery is hard work too-- and the hardest part is learning to look at your progress in terms of "baby steps"-- and seeing how much more you are able to do than you could do before, rather than looking at how much you can't do. It's like looking at the half filled/half empty glass... One way will give you encouragement and the other, discouragement. Of course, it's hard to ALWAYS look at the positive, but don't lose sight of it. When I get discouraged at how LONG this is taking me, then I stop and think back... I really can do so much more now, at almost 10 months, than I could even a couple months ago--and what a huge difference from when I was fairly fresh out of surgery! But I still have restrictions/limitations to deal with. I'm hoping more will be lifted when I go back to see my doctor next week. We'll see.

They say walking is the most important thing you can do at this time, for your recovery and for the fusion process, so try to force yourself to do a little walking every day-- even if it's just walking inside your house. (Believe me when I say I remember not wanting to walk much!--but I know by a little less than 2 months post-op I was walking half an hour almost every day...) I live in snow country too-- just got a few more inches overnight, so I haven't been walking outside for quite awhile--am afraid of falling. Sometimes it seems like good walking weather is so far away time-wise. If you can afford one, have the space for one, and have someone who can set it up for you, I would recommend getting a treadmill. Then you're not dependent on the weather--even last summer, I had problems with rainy days and with hordes of mosquitoes and deer flies, etc. That makes it doubly hard when your balance/stride is a little precarious and continuous swatting kind of increases the instability... I ordered a treadmill in early January (after my PT was over) and it finally arrived last week-- it makes the whole walking process so much easier! I wish I'd gotten it sooner! It has handgrips, so you really can't fall-- then you can increase your stride. I found that my walking outside had caused me to sort of hunch over (so I could see better--bifocals, you know)-- plus I was taking little tiny steps. My physical therapist got me over those problems by using the treadmill. He also had said if there's only one piece of equipment I could get, that would be the best in the long run for me... it's good for strengthening all your weight-bearing bones-- to hopefully prevent osteoporosis, plus is a simple enough exercise that is also good for your heart, so will be an exercise you can do over the years ok, barring any serious problems.

The other thing to try to do is eat nutritionally. It's very important for the healing process too. Get your milk products, fruits and veggies, some protein, etc.

So--be patient with yourselves and do your part. You'll notice the progress, even though it's not as fast as we'd like it to be. Pam is the rare exception, so don't expect to recover at the rate she is! Of course, if you were able to (and did) play strenuous ball, including sliding into base, then you can expect to resume a pretty strenuous life sooner than the rest of us. I don't think too many of us fall into that category.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I remember that is all I could do the first month or so as well. Up for about 40 minutes and then back to bed for another 40. Give yourself the time especially because of the complications you had. The first 3 months are rough. It will get better. Hang in there.
          CarolS
          68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
          Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
          Osteotomy March 20,2008
          Thrilled with results!

Comment

Interesting. When I had a recent discussion about getting a treadmill with a woman I met from my support group who had surgery four years ago, she told me that her doctor discouraged its use saying you can too easily lose your balance on a treadmill after spinal fusion. So she just resorted to walking around her house until the weather allowed her to walk outdoors.

Comment

I was told no treadmill for the first month. Then I was cleared to use it but only when I had someone with me. Now I am allowed to use it by myself. Of course I have to actually get on it with it turned on for it to have any positive effects!
              Geish
              47 years old, dx at 13
              +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
              Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
              http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
              http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

My surgeon told me to walk as much as possible, even if for very short periods but to do it often. Living where there was quite a bit of ice and snow this year I would have been lost without the treadmill. I find I am much more balanced (bars to hang onto) on it and have less pain as compared to walking outside. It is also a very good way of gauging your recovery...how far, how fast you have gone and it is encouraging to see the slow but steady improvement. I still use it on rainy days and my surgeon was all for it.
                CarolS
                68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                Osteotomy March 20,2008
                Thrilled with results!

Comment

Chris-- I suppose that all depends on how you do it. I think most treadmills have the ability to go down to 1 mile/hour, which is a VERY SLOW pace. If you can't manage that pace, then of course it would be best to wait till you can. When I was at PT (at about 6 months post-op), I think he started me off at 1.5 and raised it to 1.8-- also VERY SLOW. They seemed way too slow to me then, but I did what he wanted, because he was trying to gently get me to increase my length of stride. Now, at home, at almost 10 months, I usually start off at 2.0 and then quickly move on to 2.5 and on up to a brisk (for me!) 3.0 after a couple of minutes... and walk for half an hour. Again, there are good strong handles to hang onto and an emergency key/gadget that can stop it if you should somehow panic... just a matter of disengaging a magnetic key that's attached to your clothing and the treadmill "brains." It also gives me the advantage of not having a weather-related reason for not walking. (Rainy, too muddy, too hot, too buggy, too cold, snowy, etc.) It also helps me look forward rather than down, as I don't have to worry about mole or ground squirrel holes, or the natural ups and downs, tree branches/stems, etc., that are on my walking trail. I will still enjoy walking outside when the weather turns nice, but won't be confined by the parameters of that day's weather. It's good you mentioned the caveat-- maybe it's not good for everyone. We are all so different. I think it's a good choice for me.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

I have a treadmill and I'm starting to use it now for just a few minutes at a time. I'm trying NOT to hold on since my problem was standing up straight and I don't want to fall into the trap of unconsciously bending over again. (My balance is off a little too, so I stay not TOO far away from those handles!) I think if you have a treadmill and you live in the frozen north like I do, it's the best way to start your walking program. Needless to say, I'm hoping for an early spring!

I do want to pass on something (somewhere?) I read a long time ago that I thought was interesting. It said all other things being equal, walking outside is better than the treadmill because the treadmill is doing half the work for you by propelling you forward. I had never thought about it before - duh! - but it explained why I was always able to walk longer on the treadmill than I could when walking outside. Just an F.Y.I.

Hazel - considering what you have been through I think you are doing just fine. Everytime I complain to my family about sleeping so much, they say "your body is healing." My doc gave me a 30 minute limit on sitting. Walk and sit as you can, but don't push it and don't feel guilty when you need a rest afterwards. It's normal. Hang in there - it WILL get better.
                    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
                      Pam is the rare exception, so don't expect to recover at the rate she is! Of course, if you were able to (and did) play strenuous ball, including sliding into base, then you can expect to resume a pretty strenuous life sooner than the rest of us. I don't think too many of us fall into that category.
                      I'd just like to point out that while it may seem I'm just whizzing through this, I AM human, as well.

The last 2 months before surgery, I did NOTHING but get the house ready and work on physical conditioning because I knew I was going to be recovering solo. The 5K was a goal I set before surgery knowing I'd *need* one ... I didn't just spring out of bed at week 2 post-op and decide I was healed and going to do it. It's taken a lot of planning, and if I've made it sound like a walk in the park, I've not described it the way I intended.

I DO still hurt at times (I've mentioned I'm still on pain meds), and I think I slept for about 3-4 hours yesterday evening after I walked. I just don't post all that often when I feel like sh**, but maybe I should: I feel like my posts are making some feel worse vs. encouraged, and that's the LAST thing I want to do.

Never would I intentionally try to make anyone here feel this is some competition or that they're lacking in any way. We're all doing the best we can, and it really does hurt to know that I may have made some feel poorly about where they are in their recovery .
                      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

truly--it's funny how the handles have the opposite effect with us-- hanging on gives me the added security so that I stand up straight and look straight forward.

Hazel-- I keep thinking about what all you went through and am amazed that you are doing all you are. Rest up and sleep to your heart's content-- it's what you need most at this point. Just get up and walk around a little in between. (Like just walking from room to room as needed, etc.) It'll be time enough to work at it harder after you've mended a bit more... And for goodness' sake, don't worry about the pain meds at this time either. You need to be able to feel good enough to do ANYTHING after all you've been through! Hang in there!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
                          I'd just like to point out that while it may seem I'm just whizzing through this, I AM human, as well...

...Never would I intentionally try to make anyone here feel this is some competition or that they're lacking in any way. We're all doing the best we can, and it really does hurt to know that I may have made some feel poorly about where they are in their recovery .
                          Pam--hope my comment didn't make you feel like I was picking on you. I really wasn't. I just wanted to remind people that might be comparing their progress to yours that we didn't all start off on equal ground either. Most of us just aren't in your shape. That doesn't mean that you aren't going through (dare I say that word???) **** just like the rest of us did. But you are bouncing back faster/better... Of course you have pain and problems. And you are far too kind-hearted to intentionally want anyone to feel like they're lagging behind. No, it isn't a contest. Yes, you do inspire us by what you can do. And Yes, we realize you are human too and feel lousy some of the time, but you also always seem to push yourself on and accomplish so much. So you are a source of inspiration and we appreciate you! Please do not think I was trying to diminish your input-- it is so important!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Hazel, your amazing that your even walking at all!!! What fused T3 - S5!!! Your amazing girl that your able to sit and type into this forum. You've had an amazing amount of back fused - so go easy on yourself.

After what everyone else has said I just want to comment that my friend had her Gall Bladder out and she said it took her SIX MONTHS just to feel normal again and full strength. Also for some people it can take a long time for the Anesthetic (sp?) to work it's way out of your system and your body had a double dip into it!!! That coupled with your pain meds would definately make you feel very very tired.

Also stick to your pain meds as recommended by your Dr is my advice. I have noticed that now that I have been reducing Elysia's pain meds she is lying around more - she seems to be much much more active when I give her one of her Endone tablets - and I want her to move to get all those muscles working again.

Hugs
                            Del
                            Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                            Sydney - Australia
                            Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                            Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                            Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                            L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the encouragements. Please keep them coming! We've had strong winds and heavy rain today so I haven't been outside but I did sneak to the bathroom without using my crutches when my husband was out so he couldn't catch me out and tell me off!!
                              I remember there being a thread about whether your other half should share your bed after surgery or not. Hubby was sleeping on an airbed by the side of my bed until 2 nights ago when we had an earthquake 5.2 Richter scale - the largest for 24 years here in the UK. I was so scared I DEMANDED he get back in bed with me there and then!

Hazel
                              Age 44. Thoracic curve age 19 45degrees. Now thoracic curve 65 degrees and lumber curve 43 degrees + disc degeneration. Surgery 24th January 2008 anterior, February 7th posterior.

Comment

Working...
                              X