Exercises for Scoliosis- Non Operative Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercises for Scoliosis- Non Operative Treatment

For parents whose children have not undergone surgery, I've pasted a link to an article entitled: THE NEW REHABILITATION TREATMENT OF SO-CALLED IDIOPATHIC SCOLIOSIS. by T. KARSKI, et. al. The article describes in detail, exercises for scoliosis. Keep in mind that dr. Karski is not only an M.D. but also a PHD and his theory as to the cause of scoliosis is fascinating! I found it interesting because there was also a reference to this problem in an article by a different doctor and lo and behold the title of the article is "Regression of Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis". I've pasted the abstract below so you could see. Dr. Karski's research is without a doubt, an incredible contribution to a better understanding of this disorder we call "Idiopathic Scoliosis." I've pasted a link to his website which shows before and after x-ray pictures. One has to scroll through a few pages to see the exercises.

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/upl..._treatment.pdf

http://www.karski.lublin.pl/p/catego...o=d&u=all&of=0

1: Exp Mol Pathol. 2003 Jun;74(3):326-35. Links
    Regression of juvenile idiopathic scoliosis.Stehbens WE, Cooper RL.
    Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Wellington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Wellington, New Zealand. wstehbens@wnmeds.ac.nz

For a young scoliotic boy the customary "wait and watch" management program for rapidly progressive juvenile idiopathic scoliosis was considered unsatisfactory in view of the poor prognosis. The management program devised was based on the congenital postural induction concept of scoliosis with progression accruing from mechanically induced bioengineering fatigue, cumulative molecular scissions, laxity of ligaments, and secondary bone deformation. A coexisting pelvic tilt with restricted movement of the hip and shoulder joints was overlooked initially. Possibly induced simultaneously with the scoliosis, it is considered a contributory factor in scoliosis progression and requires early diagnosis and correction. The rapid improvement in this child's spinal status achieved by physiological traction and specifically designed exercises was such that as a preventive measure the technique warrants further clinical assessment on young scoliotics.

PMID: 12782022 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Thank you for the article post. I've read both and am going to try those stretches. I cannot understand much of the technical language they use but from what I can understand it makes sense to me.

Do you think it will be effective in "adults" (I'm 23)?

I know my spine is still flexible/changing- if my curve is still progressing that would mean it has the chance of digressing as well right??

Comment

thanks celia, I'm going to read the article now. I'm always interested in hearing how exercise or movement can be used as an adjunct to treatment!
      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

I also want to thank you, Celia. I printed out the article and visited the other link. This information on how scoliosis begins matches what our massage therapist tells us about pelvic tilt, etc. It was exciting to read. Now if I can just get my son to buy on and do the exercises....

Comment

Working...
        X