Set off the metal detectors!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Laurie

I've noticed Sheena leaning slightly forward when she walks but it's not anything I'm worried about at this point. She also used to lean on one leg prior to surgery but I don't notice that anymore. I'm glad to hear he's doing fine otherwise. Sheena's been getting on the treadmill most evenings, she hasn't been cleared yet for anything else (though I doubt she'll do anything more strenuous than that anyways). She's settled back into her normal activities, the surgery didn't have a big impact on her in that respect. I'm pretty anxious now for her follow up appt. in 2 weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for better weather.

Take care.

Comment

Hi Curvy,
      Thanks for asking me about the leg length issue. You are not the first person to mention it but the Dr. hasn't said it was an issue. I think you're right though and I need to get his legs measured. He is starting PT at the end of March and I will definitely ask the therapist about a possible leg length discrepancy and hopefully get him to measure Alexander's legs.
      I was so worried the Dr. would say he needed another surgery because of the way he stands but the Dr. said Alexander's still curvy spine looked just right and was helping him to stay balanced. I'm trying to stay positive but I sometimes feel like a horrible mother when I continually tell my child to "stand upright/up straight/hold your shoulders back/straighten your legs/etc." I know he wouldn't want to hold himself that way if he realized how it appears to others. But I don't want to take away any of his self-confidence. He's generally a very confident and happy kid...

Hi Sherie,
      I'm so glad Sheena's back into her regular activities and feeling better. I wouldn't worry about her leaning forward if it's just a little bit. Her surgery was only 3 months ago and she still has a lot of recovery to go. When I asked our Children's Hosp. nurses about Alexander's posture, shortly after the surgery, I was told it could take at least 6-7 months, and one said even up to a year or two, for his posture to completely normalize.
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Hi Sherie and Sheena!

I am so sorry you had to deal with that! I hate dealing with the Security Transportation Administration! I understand that some machines are more sensitive than others. I think it is crazy to hold someone up that long, and the only good thing about taking her to another room was the privacy. They couldn't just pat her down there, or that may have been more uncomfortable. We have yet to fly after surgery until next month we may fly. Well we were advised by the doctor that Amanda shouldn't have an issue with titanium rods, and does not need anything for security verification. We took off her old brace except one time, but she did not set off anything or get screened. I hope all is well and stay in touch when you can.
        Shirley
        Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Hey Laurie

Thanks for that affirmation. I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. It doesn't seem to bother her but she's not one to complain anyways.

My dad and sister have noticeable leg length descrepancies, my mom said she discovered it when she was hemming my dad's pants years ago, the pants legs were never the same length, wondering if you've noticed that with Alex? It also contributed to both of them having mild scoliosis so I would think this is something you need to check out so it won't exacerbate his existing condition.

Comment

Hi Shirley

Sheena nearly jumped out of her skin when the guard patted her back, she's still really sensitive, is Amanda still sensitive after 6 months? It was really more of an inconvenience and I actually do prefer to go into a private area so everyone's not staring at you like you're a criminal.

Talk to you soon.

Comment

I bet she did jump. Amanda still is sensitive to touch. It has gotten better, but if patted just a little too hard she will literally jump. I forgot that Amanda did fly with her Orchestra to Chicago in December. She didn't set off the machines luckily, but hopefully titanium is less of an issue. I am glad. Good thing no problem as she would have had to deal with that with a group of 50 people, with her friends, teachers, and some parents. The were aware of her medical history, but it would have been even more to deal with as she was crrying on her violin and tote bag as well. We were on different flights and were not there for her 6 a.m. flight leaving. They bused over in the morning. Well I am sure it would have worked out anyway.
              Shirley
              Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

I am grateful for the support and information about leg length issues and will definitely check it out at Alexander's 1st PT appt. as well as with the surgeon when we next see him in June.

Thanks again,
                Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

titanium rods...

Originally posted by beach_chikie
                  oh wow! Does anyone know if titanium rods can also set off a metal detector?? And will I need to carry a card that explains my hardware around at airports??
                  Hey beach_chikie!

I have titanium rods.. my surgery was almost 8 years ago, and the only time I had ever set off the metal detectors was RIGHT after surgery when my parents took me on a "Yay you survived surgery" cruise @ LAX. I have done a LOT of flying in the past 8 years, and never set them off again until this past Christmas flying to Vancouver (Canada). I think they MAY have turned up the sensitivity of the metal detectors for the christmas season, but I had to be patted down and take off my shoes, belt, shirt, etc. Even after showing my scar they were suspicious. My doctor wouldn't give me a card saying I had hardware in my back ... I'm a nervous enough flyer as it is, I don't really need more complications, so if you can get one, take it.
                  My flight ended up being delayed four hours, and I had my 4 month old puppy with me so I ended up leaving the boarding area, and going back through security hours later, only to have the same thing happen again!!! LOL Kind of silly I felt like a spectacle.

Anyways, to answer your question with a novel, yes titanium rods can set off metal detectors. Have a lovely day!
                  lisanicolegrace
                  29/F/Canada
                  Surgery - 11/10/2000
                  80° curve to 19° post op.
                  www.lisanicolegrace.com
                  @lisanicolegrace
                  facebook
                  x-rays
                  picture of my back

Comment

Working...
                  X