Jeezum .... my surgery photos ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Houston Curves
    Now I see! It was Dr. Hanson. Are you here in Houston? I consulted him. He seemed very good and very knowledgeable, but dismissed some of my concerns. He also seemed so busy that he didn't have time for me. However, I would definitely think he would do a good job! Are you happy?

Ann
    Ann,

Yes, I'm in Houston. I clicked with Hanson from the first visit, and NEVER felt he dismissed any of my concerns. He's one of the few SRS (or otherwise) scoli docs who *absolutely* believes scoli causes pain.

Without knowing what type of off day you may you have caught him, he has spent appointments with me just *talking* for 2 hours (I seriously had a list of like 100 questions) as if he had all the time in the world (I know he doesn't).

He's *never* made me feel rushed, and he's never hesitated to get back with me when I email him within in an entirely reasonable period (often earlythe next morning). The rumor is true ... he answers emails - and he answers them thoroughly.

Where many docs would get frustrated (you know .. "how DARE you question me ... *I'm* the doctor!") with patients who question material choices, surgical approach, etc., I've grilled him over it ALL, and he never fails to patiently answer my questions without a trace of attitude. He talks to me like an intelligent adult even though he no doubt thinks I'm a NUT - LOL.

Understandably, each person clicks with the surgeon that's right for them, and many perfectly capable surgeons are passed over by individuals who don't feel that connection.

Normally, I'd say "to each his own", but I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't encourage you to give Hanson another try (we all have off days). If I'd *ever* even gotten an inkling of how you perceived his attitude, I'd also let it go.

In this case, however, he's gone above and beyond any surgeon I've ever met in patience, bedside manner, and genuine concern. Equally important, he's very talented Hhe did his fellowship under Lenke incase you didn't know ... I didn't. Sherie told me, and he confirmed: I honestly feel like I can ask him anything.).

I've dealt with more orthopedic surgeons (mostly softball and karate injuries ... 3 knee surgeries, ankle reconstructions, etc., etc.) than most of my friends combined ... and it's entirely possible I'm more of a PITA as a patient as I am here at times - LOL! He's impressed me more than of the OTHER surgeons combined.

Email me if you'd care to discuss further, and I'll be more than happy to give you my phone number.

Best regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by The Slice
      Hey Pam, love the PPT presentation. Thanks for sharing it with all. If you want to make a smaller file, maybe a PDF file might work.
      Nope, sorry, Slice. Graphics don't compress well into either .zip or .pdf format. The .pdf conversion actually made a larger file.

Apologies, but I've no inclination to download another utility or reduce each picture size, so 32 MB's it'll stay unless someone has time to screw with it themselves. If so, have at it.

Regards,
      Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Yeah, I "supposedly" have the tools to convert it to a PDF file, but when I tried to do it, it took a long time, and I never finished it. I do have another idea that I might try (no guarantees). If it works, I'll e-mail it to you. How are you feeling?

Comment

Heya, Slice ...

I'm feeling better every day: Thanks for asking ;-)

I finally got out of the house the other night (just for a relaxed dinner with my neighbor ... I'll never be able to pay them back for everything they've done for me since surgery!).

~*wOw*~, was I surprised how much energy it took to wash and dry my hair without a break!

I started to put on some lipstick after I looked in the mirror and saw how pale I was (and I am NEVER pale), and then went "Eh. It'll just make the rest look worse." - LOL.

(I find myself saying "Eh ..." a lot these days!)

It was the first time I'd ridden in a car since the day I came home from the hospital. Unless someone's been through it, I'm not sure how to explain the sensation of sitting in a seat as anything other than "It feels like you're wearing someone else's back".

It's still partially (fully in places) numb along my spine, so that alone is major weirdness. You also don't realize how much the *shape* of your back has changed either until you lean against something and your back touches in places it didn't before. Yet more weirdness.

(none of this is painful ... just weird)

I can also feel the hardware in the upper thoracic area, which is surprisingly NOT the most weird of the 3 sensations.

Mostly, I just keep reminding myself every day it's only been 19 days since surgery, and almost daily I get a laugh when a friend/acquaintance/co-worker asks something like "So how long until you can walk?" or "How long will you have to wear a cast?".

Their reaction when I say "No cast, I walked 375' the morning after surgery, and I'm walking a 5K March 9th ..." is almost as funny, and as amazing to me as it is to them. This surgery IS amazing, period, and I feel very forunate I was able to wait all these years until the technology advanced.

As far as the file compression issue, I'm sure I could find a way but most everyone I know (except that Susie*Bee girlie) is on broadband. I'd rather entice her into current technology than keep enabling her (keeeeeeeses, Susie! ;-).

Off to go walk now ... I'm not technically leaving for 30 minutes, but it takes 10 minutes to get my tennis shoes on - LOL. If nothing else, this surgery has taught me better time management skills! ;-)

Best regards,
          Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi TX, it's great that you've got a gory memoir of your surgery to show the grandkids! Thanks for putting that up, it's interesting to see how they do it. It sounds like you're doing really well.
            1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
            2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
            2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
            Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
            msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
              As far as the file compression issue, I'm sure I could find a way but most everyone I know (except that Susie*Bee girlie) is on broadband. I'd rather entice her into current technology than keep enabling her (keeeeeeeses, Susie! ;-).
              Pam--thanks for the "keeeeeses" -- but it's not that I wouldn't love broadband--it's not available where I live. Some of us really live in the boonies... OK? They may put up a tower close enough at some point in time, but it hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, dial-up is better than nothing at all.

This weekend we were at my daughter's (in a real city!) so I got to download your pics. Loved them. Thanks so much!!!
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Suzie Bee, that's great. Pam, glad to hear how you're doing. I admire the upbeat attitude that you have towards this whole ordeal. I said I was going to send more about my history, but I chickened out as I thought it would come out as too much of a "woe is me" story. It's taken me a long time to see and believe the significance of what I've been through, and that I really am a survivor. Keep up the great work.

Comment

Originally posted by nzgirl
                  Hi TX, it's great that you've got a gory memoir of your surgery to show the grandkids! Thanks for putting that up, it's interesting to see how they do it. It sounds like you're doing really well.
                  LMAO, NzG ...

I'm sure the grandkids'll LOVE it (hah!).

My son, the Marine, was like "um, Mom, I'm sorry, but that's really, REALLY gross."

My daughter completely reserved comment until (spaz that I am) blurted "Didya see the pics? Didya see the pics?!". In the most droll tone imaginable, she said "Uh, yeah. Right before I WAS going to have breakfast. Thanks.".

(I gave birth to these weenies????)

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Tx-
                    I'm in the category that thought the pics were totally AMAZING! I took disposable cameras with me to the hospital for my last surgery, but chickened out in pre-op when the nurses tried to dissuade me from having pics taken. I REALLY wish now that I had some 'gory memoirs' of my surgery.
                    I also totally agree with the statement about riding in the car and feeling like you are "wearing someone elses back". I swear one of these days I am going to have a seat made just to fit my back! I can never get that damn car seat adjusted right! It feels like my neck is going to snap off one day.
                    Glad to hear that you are doing better and that you were able to go out with your neighbors. It sounds like you are getting some really good help from your friends and neighbors, such a blessing i'm sure.
                    Keep up the great recovery!

Comment

My vote

Hey Pam,
                      I'm in the COOOOOOOL! camp. For me the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" is so appropriate in this situation. They answered some questions I didn't even know I had!
                      Becky, 46 years old
                      Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                      Ignored until 448/07
                      Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                      Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                      Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                      Fused T-10 to L-5
                      14 titanium pedicle screws
                      Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                      Email

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
                        (I gave birth to these weenies????)
                        Pam: This line made laugh louder than almost anything else you've ever said. Thanks - I needed that!
                        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Thanks!

Hi, Pam. I am so glad to read that you're getting out now. That is really fast and I hope your recovery continues to go quickly.

I loved your response to my post. After reading that, I will definitely give Dr. Hanson another try! I really, REALLY don't want to have to travel to Dallas for this surgery!!! And, while I absolutely LOVE Shelokov, I rarely ever see him...I usually see Eric (who is also great!).

I will have to wait a while before I go see Hanson again though as I am currently pregnant - 23 weeks now. When I spoke to him before, he wanted my twins to be 2 before surgery. So, I'll go see him when the baby is born, but I doubt he will touch me until the baby is older. I guess that's the trade off. I'm not sorry for the baby though. She's going to be a wonderful new addition to our home! No name yet, but I am pushing the husband on that point! I've picked out dozens, and he just keeps poo-pooing them. What a champ.

Thanks again, and I will email you and will want to talk to you about the surgery and Hanson in the future. I've just got a really full plate at the moment. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Ann
                          44 year old female
                          Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                          Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                          Posterior Only, 9 hours
                          Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                          Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Oh, yeah...

Can you send me Dr. Hanson's email to my address at annbruner@gmail.com? I want to update him and possibly schedule an appointment for follow up later this year. Thanks!

Ann
                            44 year old female
                            Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                            Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                            Posterior Only, 9 hours
                            Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                            Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Working...
                            X