No announcement yet.

SpineCor for Adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter is almost 14 and had her surgery done at Children's hospital of Phila. They want to see her until she is 23. My point being, they don't toss you out as soon as you start to get older. There would be no reason why your doctor wouldn't see you now. Especially if you just had the surgery so recently.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

When was your surgery?
      You would want to be absolutely certain that your fusion was complete and you had clearance from your surgeon to pursue other avenues.
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

I know I would need to clear it with a surgeon first and everything. My last surgery was in 2005. I was really just exploring my options, and thats why i was looking into Spinecor. I didn't want to look into SpineCor and everything if I wouldn't even be able to have it. Plus I'm from Ontario, SpineCor isn't really used here yet.
        I remember my pediatric surgeon saying that if I called his office they would refer me to an adult one. So I'll have to do that, it is just I don't have much money to even get a SpineCor anyway. I'm a college student with a 25k student loan as it is lol. So I'm thinking I'm going to have to put up with the pain for a couple years, maybe I'll look into exercises or something to see if that will help
        Thanks for everyones help

Comment

jackieoabby ...

You never said - what levels are fused, and what type of pain are you experiencing?
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

I don't know all the fancy terms, lol sorry
            here is my x-ray though, maybe you can tell me the terms lol
            x-ray- http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/...rent=3back.jpg
            from outside - http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t=DSCI0007.jpg

Pain wise, by the end of the day my back is killing me. My shoulders/upper back gets very sore. Between my shoulder blades area is where most of the pain comes from, however I get a good amount in my hips too. I have a hard time sitting for a long period, which is annoying since I'm a college student and I have lots of classes. Also, lately my scar has been bugging me too, well I don't know if it's the scar but when I'm trying to go to sleep its as if its tight or something.. its odd

Comment

I will look and find the exercises another forum member sent me that helped her pain. I think I saved that message to my documents.

I don't know enough about fusions to know when it would be safe to do things, but you may know. When were you cleared for twisting? Has your spine fully fused?
              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Those exercises were Yoga for Scoliosis by Elise Brown Miller. I would think, if your surgeon clears it with your fusion, that exercises to strengthen your core strength would help your pain. I don't know if that forum member was fused or not.

I wonder if your surgeon's office would have any recommendations for you. I also wonder if any others on this forum that are fused have any ideas for dealing with your pain.

I have heard of physical therapy after fusion to help with the muscular imbalance left after years of scoliosis. You might check into it!

I know that is what you are thinking of addressing (muscular imbalance) with the Spinecor. It would be nice to know before you invest in that, that they have had some positive results dealing with pain in a fused patient.

Best of luck!

Comment

There's also a book, which I am reading called: "Pilates for Fragile Backs".
                  Both authors have had multiple surgeries on their backs and are speaking from personal experience.
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

By the way, that person recommmended that we get the book with the DVD. I haven't checked it out yet.

Comment

Thank you very much! I found the DVD on ebay for $20, I think I might have to buy it and give it a try! Thanks for everyones help!

Comment

Rolfing for post-fusion surgery pain

Jackie:
                        Our daughter, Esme, is having Rolfing (Structural Integration) treatments. Her rolfer has told us about a boy she worked on who has had fusion surgery and how the rolfing treatments helped his back muscles to relax into their new position after surgery. It helped him a lot with his pain after surgery. The theory is that the surgery puts the body into a new position it isn't used to so this hurts - the rolfing helps the fascia to adjust to the new position therefore helping with the pain.
                        Esme's rolfer is called Miranda Davies and is in Navan, Ontario. She goes to see her once every two weeks.
                        Ruth
                        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Thank you! I had seen that term used a bit on this forum and I had no idea what it is. I found one in Windsor, Ont which is only an hour away from my home. I also found one in Charlotte, NC so I can maybe start now isntead of having to wait until I move back home! Thanks a ton, I'm going to e-mail the person in Charlotte right now.

Comment

Hi there, I was wonder is there a DVD showing yoga exercise for scoliosis? It would be much easier than reading a book.

Comment

Yup, just google it and a couple will pop up! "yoga for scoliosis" or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X