Chiropractic & Acupuncture??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiropractic & Acupuncture??

This is going to be long, sorry...I need some advice! My daughter has been doing rolfing, we just started not long ago. We are in between on finding a new option besides the Clear Institute, it hasn't worked out for us. On our second visit to the rolfer she introduced us to a chiropractor that she also works on and wanted me to meet. Her and this chiro work 'together'. The rolfer introduced us and bragged on the chiro and so forth. Then he says I would love to have Lindsay come in for free of charge, just as a blessing, and let me see if there is anything I can do for her. So, we go in to see him yesterday and this is how the trip went. I'm a very observant person, I'm scoping things out....the receptionist smelled like cigarette smoke, had dirty finger nails, didn't have much bottom teeth and her desk was extremely unorganized. I don't want to be judgemental, its just it struck me odd that she wasn't very public presentable. She would answer the phone and say "fudge" if people hung up, she seemed overwhelmed. Needless to say, I'm getting nervous, I felt very awkward and I'm thinking...what have I got myself into! Finally, the chiro calls us back and he is such a pleasant man, all the feelings I was having diminished. Then we arrive in the room...sigh...here I go again! All my feelings came rushing back! The room was a disaster! Didn't look very clean, unorganized etc...He proceeds to say..."I have prayed about this and God has told me to do something for her and that's what I would like to do." I'm like...okay... .....so he puts this vibrating thing on her back for about 5 seconds and then says "okay, have you ever done acupuncture, Lindsay?" I'm like...she doesn't even know what that is! And I'm thinking WHAT???? We then go in another room and by this time I'm sweating and about to cry.....you can only imagine...this room was a wreck as well, what did I expect! There were cottonballs, bandaids, alcohol, etc...just laying out, not in containers. The acupuncture needles were just laying out, in packages, but scattered all over the end table. Used packages laying everywhere! I look over and there is a small hazard bin with syringes in it! What in the world is he doing with those? Anyway, we do the acupuncture and she didn't like it, we go back to the previous room and get adjusted and done! While leaving he says "I'll do what I know to do, thats all I can do. I would like to see her a couple more times to see if I can help...I'm not one of those doctors that take advantage of your situation, I just want to be a blessing." Very sincere, compassionate, sweet guy, but my problem is obvious, I hope. I'm writing this because I'm baffled by all of it. First, I don't know what the rolfer and him have talked about. Lindsay has been doing the Pettibon treatments and I mentioned to the rolfer that we are looking for another option, maybe thats where he comes in? But then Dr. Bugg sprung acupuncture on me and I don't know a thing about it, his office was not clean, a disaster, and etc.! Is it just me? Would you go back? He's such a nice guy, just wants to help, but at the same time Lindsay is in such a fragile state right now, I don't have time for people to guinea pig on her. I'm open to any opinions and/or advice! Sorry so long, this really stressed me out...I was on pins and needles the whole night and just wanted to cry....whats funny is I don't know why it made me so emotional?? Thanks for reading!
    -Tina
    DD-Lindsay 42T/28L
    Day & Night brace in the past--didn't hold curves
    Clear Institute 9/2007-12/2007--not stabilizing curves, she is progressing
    Last edited by proudmom2_2; 12-18-2007, 06:55 PM.

proudmom 2-2,

Frankly, I think you already know the answer to the questions you are asking. That "little inner voice" is telling you to run, not walk away from this situation. There is no way I would allow ANYONE to stick a needle of any kind into my child that appeared to be from an open package or from a dirty enviornment. The situation you are discribing has nothing to do with being judgementel, it is just common sense that is saying that this person is not qualified to treat your child or anyone else for that matter.

You need to be seeing a medical doctor, especially since what you have tried so far is not working on holding your daugters curves.

SandyC
    SandyC

Comment

Proudmom,

My opinion... Don't return! As nice as this man may be, his health/safety standards are questionable at best, "praying" doesn't belong in medical/health practices (doing that in the privacy of your own time/space is more than fine), and the rest is just obvious... . Besides, acupuncture is not going to achieve the effects you're looking for. Unless your daughter is in pain and looking for symptomatic relief, acupuncture is not very applicable to scoliosis.

I don't know who your Rolfer is, but if this is who they 'work together' with then I might consider finding someone with more experience, knowledge, and integrity.

I think Rolfing is the most intelligent and option out of those you've tried... but relatively useless if the practitioner is anything like that chiropractor.

My two cents.. Don't let some whacky chiro turn you off from other paths you're on... I suggest you keep moving forward with your original thought and forget about the chiro.

Structural

Comment

SandyC

SandyC, thanks for responding! I guess your right, I already know the answer, I suppose hearing someone else say it makes a difference...goofy, I know....just to clarify, I definately made sure her needles did not come from an opened package. It was a new package for a fact. He just had used packages laying around, the needles had been disposed of. I would've said something or walked out if he even attempted to do something like that! We do see a orthopedic surgeon regularly. We are in between choosing where to go from here (Pettibon treatments).
        Thanks again,
        Tina

Comment

Structural

Structural75, thanks for responding...very true, I suppose I was letting his niceness interfere with the way I really felt. The health/safety issues are absolutely a hazard in my opinion as well! I know absolutey squat about acupuncture so thanks for clarifying that for me. I did come home and research it somewhat and didn't find any connection with scoliosis, which made me even more confused. We aren't looking for symtomatic relief so I have no idea why he performed the procedure?

Honestly, our rolfer is an older woman who works out of her house. She lives in a very nice neighborhood, her house is exceptionally clean and organized, totally opposite of the chiro. I was referred to her by a renown rolfer in my city. I actually don't plan on doing rolfing alone. We hope to find a PT in our area until we can possibly go to Wisconsin...I hope that doesn't have the same turnout as the Clear Institute...do you know much about the Scroth method?
          Thanks again,
          Tina
          Last edited by proudmom2_2; 12-19-2007, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Tina-- no wonder you were feeling emotional and confused by all this! It's your daughter and you are her protector... Definitely go with your instincts and don't see him again, no matter how nice he may have been. Stick with professionals who know what they're doing with scoliosis. You have every right to be judgmental and discerning when it comes to your daughter's health!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

If you are concerned about how to tell him since he seems so nice, you can just say that she really didn't like the acupuncture and since she is going through so much now and has so many other treatments going on(or about to go on - rolphing /pt etc) that you don't have the time to push for it now...all true, right?
              daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
              -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
              -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
              -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

I think the guy(acupuncturing chiro) should be reported to your state chiro society (anonymously) or board of health. They can send a sham patient who can see for themselves. This way you can protect another mother and child from this traumatic experience. NOT reporting allows this to go on.

As a medical professional what you wrote described deplorable, unsanitary conditions. He gets away with it because he is a "nice" perhaps even a charmer.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I took my son for acupuncture & chiropractic treatments on the mistaken belief that they could possibly prevent my son's congenital scoliosis from progressing. All the practitioners we saw were very nice & supportive but none of the treatments helped (of course, I now know). I never saw any unsanitary, unhygienic treatment rooms. I'm sorry you had to go through that but I would definitely not go back.

It sounds like you are doing everything possible to help your daughter. You are being a great mother & she is lucky to have you. I know you will figure out how best to help her. Just keep trusting your judgment and don't let someone's nice behavior stop you from doing what you know is right.
                  Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                  Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                  Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Originally posted by jillw
                    If you are concerned about how to tell him since he seems so nice, you can just say that she really didn't like the acupuncture and since she is going through so much now and has so many other treatments going on(or about to go on - rolphing /pt etc) that you don't have the time to push for it now...all true, right?
                    I'm confused ... why would you feel is necessary to placate a quack??? Do you really need to give someone you *don't* trust to care for your child a REASON?

Originally posted by Karen Ocker
                    I think the guy(acupuncturing chiro) should be reported to your state chiro society (anonymously) or board of health. They can send a sham patient who can see for themselves.
                    While I agree 100% with reporting the person, I also don't understand the anonymous part.

Originally posted by proudmom2_2
                    Honestly, our rolfer is an older woman who works out of her house. She lives in a very nice neighborhood, her house is exceptionally clean and organized, totally opposite of Dr. Bugg. I was referred to her by a renown rolfer in my city.
                    Tina, out of curiousity, did you check the status (or even existence) of any of these persons licenses or credentials before you allowed them to see your daughter?
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Tina:

Oh my goodness - what an ordeal!! I would definitely not go back and I would report him too.

The Rolfer sounds like she has much more pride in her environment and attention to cleanliness - perhaps she has never actually been to this chiropractor's office? If I were you I'd suggest to her she go over there and take a look since her referring people to this chiro will hurt her reputation.

Is your daughter doing yoga? There are some very specific exercises for scoliosis like the spinal twist. Our Rolfer asked Esme to do yoga three times a week while she is having the treatments. It is very relaxing. At this point, in addition to her regular yoga classes, Esme will suddenly get her yoga mat out and start doing some exercises if she is feeling pain - after a few moves she puts the mat away and goes back to her "teen" activities. It must be doing her some good or she wouldn't, independently, turn to it when she feels pain.

Ruth
                      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Ruth

Lindsay is not doing yoga at this time. I definately think this is something we will incorporate into our routine until we can get to Wisconsin. That is very interesting about Esme pulling out the mat independently. Our rolfer is trying to teach Lindsay to 'listen' to her body as well, I'll be glad when she can get to that point b/c it will help a lot! Do you know much about the K.S. Method? I've researched it and I come up with a few sites. I'm assuming there is only 2 places in the US?
                        Thanks,
                        Tina

Comment

Tina:
                          I don't know much about the Schroth method but have read some rave reviews from parents. It has been around a long time which would give hope it can offer some real benefit.
                          Ruth
                          Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Working...
                          X