Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is surgery like

amymichele
    thanks for the clarification. I got a little nervous about that. Now i understand what you mean. Yes, i'm sure that would make me nervous if my daughter felt so good that she was doing too much. I'm sure i will be a wreck the first time she feels okay to go out with friends or the first day back to school, but i on another hand hope she has such a great recovery and feels so good quick, but i definitely will be nervous.
    thanks
    jennifer

Comment

Hello!
      Sorry it took me so long to reply - I've been busy with the end of summer/start of school year stuff. Anyway, my surgery was February 4th, so I'm almost 7 months post-op.

My current allowed activities include roller blading, biking, jogging, light upper body work, and horseback riding (no jumps). I feel pretty much normal, but my back still gets sore sometimes, especially now that I'm back in school and have to carry around all of those books!

I missed about a months of school - 6 days in the hospital. But, for the last two weeks of my home rest I had tutors provided by the school come and teach me.

How old is your daughter jc3? Catching up was a bit difficult for me because I was a sophmore in high school, but if she isn't in high school yet, making up the work shouldn't be too difficult at all.
      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
      L2 to T4
      Braced for 4 years
      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

what is surgery like

hi charlotte
        thanks for replying. I am glad to hear you are doing well and i can't believe how many activities you are doing already. That is great. My daughter is going into high school this year and will be having the surgery during school. I hope she doesn't fall behind. I guess i will be getting a tutor for her. I will have to talk to the school about that. I really wish she didn't need the ribs removed, but she does. It doesn't seem to bother her, but i keep telling her that it would later on when she gets older.

I am getting nervous, we just got a letter from the surgeon with all the appointments for her pre tests and for her to donate blood. I am going to see if either myself or my husband could donate for her, see doesn't want to do it and the letter also gave us the time of her surgery and what time to be at the hospital that morning. It is becoming real now. I just hope everything goes fine.
        thanks again for writing.
        jennifer

Comment

I understand that a person does so much better in healing and recovering when the blood they recieve is thier own blood. Also a machine that cleans blood is sometimes used for some of the blood loss during surgery.

I understand your feelings as a mother...you will do whatever to spare your daughter discomforts.

Please know I express my concerns...and soon we will be able to be in the cheering corner for you when this is all behind you.

Comment

What are your daughter's concerns about giving blood? It didn't bother me at all. It didn't even affect me - I felt a little bit dizzy the night afterwards, but nothing else.

The school is legally required to provide a tutor for your daughter to catch up, free of charge. I had one tutor per subject. The first week after surgery I was in the hospital, and the second week I still felt pretty weak, but the third, fourth, and fifth weeks I scheduled times for each tutor to come for one hour, once a week. I had a lot of homework to do from the tutors, but I had so much time on my hands that it wasn't a big deal.

When I returned to school, I had a couple of big assignments and tests my teachers wanted me to make up. I did most of these, but started getting really stressed out, so the surgeon's assistant sent out a note to my teacher telling them to give me more time and understand my situation. After that several teachers decided to excuse me from a few tests.

All in all, it wasn't that difficult to catch up. As long as your daughter is a hard worker, she'll do fine. Good luck!
            Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
            L2 to T4
            Braced for 4 years
            Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

I apologize that my statement was confusing....I am the one that had surgery at age 55. The doctor ask that I give 4 units of my own blood over a period of 8 months before my surgery.

I am a mother of 2 daughters...41 and 31. Just being a mother...you do whatever you can for your own daughter. I think it is wonderful that you are able to give blood for her surgery.

Well Wishes.....Kim

Comment

In regards to keeping up at school.
                I let Amber's school know as soon as we had a confirmed date. I had a meeting her year advisor and wrote a letter that he could show to all of her teachers explaining what she was having done, approx. how long she would be in hospital, then how long at home recovering, what her limitations were expected to be etc. They arranged for Amber to sit some of her exams early, some teachers decided to give her a 'make-up' mark. I felt that by doing this it would make them more aware of her needs and for them to prepare work to send home for her. (We had some problems previously in getting work sent home.) The whole school has been wonderful in their approach to keeping Amber up to date with her school work and making adjustments for her when she started going back to school.
                Let your childs school know in advance and make sure they are aware of the length of time that will be involved and there shouldn't be too many problems.
                Cheryl.

Comment

what surgery is like

this is to kim regarding the blood donating. I never heard that a person heals better when they have their own blood. I will have to talk to the dr. about that. I don't even know if they would let me or my husband donate. I just got the letter to make the appointment and on it, it said if another family member will be donating make sure you let us know. So i thought that it would be easier on her.
                  thanks for telling me that though, if my dr. agrees with that then she will have to donate for herself.
                  jennifer

Comment

what is surgery like

mum of 5,
                    tomorrow nicole starts high school and i guess as soon as possible i will notify them about the surgery and make arrangements for a tutor. I would think though the first week she gets home she will not be feeling up to doing work. That is a good idea to write a note to each teacher. I will definitly do that. I am so nervous about all this and she doesn't really talk about it, i don't think she really knows what she is really in for.

dapsbounce8
                    I guess my daughter is just very scared of needles and that's why if i could do it for her i would rather her not to have to go through with it.
                    how many weeks were you out of school? and do you take a bus to school, if you do when were you able to ride it again?
                    thanks everyone you all help very much, it makes it easier to go through this with people to talk to
                    jennifer

Comment

The first week home for Amber.
                      She slept, watched T.V. etc.. It was hard enough to get her to get up for a shower, let alone anything else. After that week though she started to get up more and to be 'with it' enough to concentrate.
                      I think she started to do school work around the end of week 2 home. I was worried about her falling behind, but she hasn't.
                      Nichole will most likely start to get a little bored and will do her school work just to have something else to do.
                      Amber didn't talk about her surgery or her back before the surgery. It worried me, especially because we are close and she tells me almost everything, but it does seem to be pretty normal. Try not to worry too much about it, she will be taking everything in.
                      I took lots of photos before ( all 4 sides) and at the hospital, I photographed everything I could. Amber has really enjoyed seeing these and showing her friends. She didn't remember much about the whole week in hospital and I think she didn't really want to ask, so the photo's answered alot for her.
                      Amber is also scared of needles, they put her off for the surgery with a mask and put everything in when she was under.
                      She did not have to donate blood. They gave her 'packed cells' instead.
                      Best wishes.
                      Cheryl.

Comment

Hi, My name is Tiffany
                        first I wanted to know how your surgery went? I have had 3 scoliosis surgeries. I will explain them to you in another message if you are interested. Surgery is definitely no fun at all which Im sure you've realized by now. I would love to talk to you about it later...
                        Tiffany

Comment

Tiffany,
                          How long ago were your surgeries? Why so many? I hope you are OK now.
                          Best wishes.
                          Cheryl.

Comment

Hello All,

It's been a while since I posted.
                            We went to Houston for a second opinion.
                            Of course surgery but what type, what risks,how long, so on and so on.It seems like there's always something I meant to ask.
                            For example, the rod type? I have read no mri after a metal rod ?
                            It's cheaper? Hopefully Dr's call this shot more than insurance companys.
                            The blood donation.
                            Rib removal? This Dr didn't mention that part....yet???
                            How many will assist?
                            Alot of the answers were the same as the 1st Dr's.
                            Well I guess I am getting anxious and WORRIED about all the things that face us.
                            We set a surgery date for Nov 3!!!
                            My daughter is scared I know but is being brave. She is worried about her spinal cord and how they will not hurt it.
                            I wish I could get some weight on her.
                            Gosh I'm sorry to ramble but I just want to say hi again.
                            Thanks all for the listen ,
                            mamakay
                            now 16 yr old daughter
                            with worsen 65 degree upper curve
                            surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

There will always be something that you forget to ask no matter how prepared you think you are. Just remember there are people here ready to listen and offer support. November will come around so quick you won't have too much time to worry.
                              Best wishes.
                              Cheryl.

Comment

what is surgery like

hi mamakay
                                my nicole is also having surgery on nov. 3rd. As a matter of fact they just sent us the time, which is 8 am and we have to be at the hospital at 6:30. She also is 52 degrees and is having rib removal unfortunately. He didn't even give us really the option on that. He said this is what she needs. We can go through this together. They scheduled nicoles pre tests for Oct. 17th. I would like to get some weight on my daughter too. It seems like most of the girls with scoliosis are very thin.
                                well write back when you get a chance.
                                jennifer

Comment

Working...
                                X