What is surgery like?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alison

I am hearing the same thing -very painful but worth it! My Dr really wants to perform this on me but I don't know if I can cope with the pain:0

Any other suggestions for clothing? For your hospital stay, do you wear there gear or take your own?

Kylie-Ann
    Kylie-Ann
    Australia

Surgery 14th October 2004
    T7- L4
    Thoracoplasty

Comment

The doctor said to me they are gonna get rid of my rib hump by taking out some ribs, but I dont understand why it doesn't go away when they fix your back. Does n e 1 no????
      40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Amber had thoracoplasty from T8 to T12. To answer questions for both of you. When the spine curves or rotates the ribs grow differently to normal and that causes the hump. (I don't really know why though). They take out part of the ribs to lesson the size and appearance of the hump. As you are healing from the surgery your ribs actually grow back STRAIGHT. You may still have a small hump. Amber does, the surgery has lessoned her hump to a little less than half the original size. The surgery does not correct the hump completely in most cases as far as I know. Amber is still very thin and so therefore the hump is still noticable. As she gains weight the hump will become 'covered'. But as it is you can't notice under her clothes unless you know about it and look hard.
        Amber came home from the hospital 8 days after surgery taking panadol. 2 weeks later she was off pain killers all together. Although she was sore she said it was not unbearable. Now and for the last month or so she has said that it is more being uncomfortable rather than being in pain. As a 15 year old she says 'Yes! It was worth it' As her mother I agree.
        As to clothing in hospital. Amber was in a hospital gown for the first few days. When she got up for the first time and had a shower, the nurses asked her if she wanted another of their gowns or her own. She chose her own. As well as button up P.J.'s she also wore a chemise. I loosened off the straps and after she was dry and still sitting I slipped it over her feet and as she stood up I pulled it up and she put her arms in when it was in place I adjusted the straps. To take it off I loosened the straps off and she dropped it to the floor. When she got cold she put the long sleeved button up ones over the top. Drawstring bottoms as well.
        Best wishes.
        Cheryl.

Comment

Boo:
          The rib hump is caused by the way the ribs grow because of the spinal curve, not the fact that the torso is twisted. In other words, the ribs stick out because they grew that way, so rotating the torso can't fix this.

I don't know why Amber still has a small hump. I had ribs removed for mine and its completely gone, and I am very thin as well. I was really pleased with the way it turned out.
          Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
          L2 to T4
          Braced for 4 years
          Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Hi every 1! I'm going to hospital 2morro, 4 all the tests and stuff, then I am staying the night for the op the next day. Wish me luck every 1!
            40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Good luck Boo. Amber and I will be thinking of you. I'm sure everything will go well.
              Best wishes.
              Cheryl.

Comment

Good luck Boo

Kisses and hugs from Australia!

Let us know how you go!!

Kylie-Ann
                Kylie-Ann
                Australia

Surgery 14th October 2004
                T7- L4
                Thoracoplasty

Comment

Scared mom

Hello. I have been reading the posts and I think that you are all so brave! My Jessika is 12 years old and has Prader Willi Syndrome. She will be having surgery September 1 and I am so scared! She has a high threshold to pain and I am afraid that she can hurt herself after. Also, How do you deal with comming home? Does someone come into your home to help? Jessika can be VERY stubborn and I worry about post op. She is 62 and 40 degrees. How long is the hospital stay? Sorry to be rambeling on.

Jessika's mom, Jeannie

Comment

what is surgery like

hi this is for dapsbounce8, i read in your post that you had your rib hump removed, my daughter is having surgery nov 3rd and is going to have that done as well. Did you have alot of pain afterwards from having that done? I have heard that it is more painful, but the dr. said that it needs to be done.
                    thanks jennifer

Comment

Welcome, Jeannie
                      12 IS a tough age to be going thru this, huh? She may want to
                      handle recovery in a way that is scary for you. The upside tho...such a young body will recover all the quicker!
                      I am making a list of upcoming surgeries here, and would like to add Jessika to my prayer list, if you'd like.

**Boo**.....definitely praying for YOU today.
                      Hoping all is going as well as can possibly be for you, sweetie.
                      Daughter, Lacey has an upper curve of about 55 degrees. She will have posterior surgery in June.

Comment

what is surgery like

hi amymichele
                        i read a reply to a post you wrote and i was curious as to what you meant by:

12 IS a tough age to be going thru this, huh? She may want to
                        handle recovery in a way that is scary for you.

what do you mean by scary for you?

thanks
                        jennifer

Comment

jc3:

Yeah it was pretty painful. It made breathing difficult at times because taking really big breaths hurting so I got into the habit of breathing very shallowly (is that a word?). I also got random shooting pains in my ribs - those hurt a lot. I'm now 6-months post-op and I have barely any remaining pain, except occasionally (once every two weeks) in my ribs. Even then, its only because I over work myself (back surgery + working at a stable...not a good combo).

I definately think the rib removal is more painful than the spinal fusion, but I am still glad I did it. I wouldn't want to carry that hump around and be insecure about it for the rest of my life and I'm very happy with the results. The extra pain was worth it.

GOOD LUCK BOO I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!!!!
                          Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                          L2 to T4
                          Braced for 4 years
                          Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

what is surgery like

hi charlotte
                            thanks for writing. Are you back to pretty much normal activities? When was your surgery? If it was during the school year how long were you out of school. My daughters surgery is nov 3rd. i hope her recovery won't be too bad.
                            jennifer

Comment

Hello All-

Just checkin in hopes of a good word on Boo.
                              Guess it's way too early yet to expect any news, even from her parents, huh?
                              Actually, I don't think we've heard from her parents here, just Boo, right?

*jc3....hey there, I was only thinking about how a 12 yr old's energy, need for motion, and CAN DO mindset may make it tricky to get them to patiently wait out the TAKE IT EASY time right after.
                              sorry for the confusion
                              Daughter, Lacey has an upper curve of about 55 degrees. She will have posterior surgery in June.

Comment

my surgery story

It was 1998, and I was 14. I had a 60 degree curve, and had the fusion surgery, rods and all..the whole shebang. While i was in the hospital, I had quite a few interesting experiences...some funny, some downright awful...
                                I woke up in recovery, and was obviously doped frome the tip of my head to the bottom of my toes. The anesthesia made my mouth bone dry, and I told my mom about it. She could not give me any water or anything for awhile(routine hospital procedure) and I misinterpreted it as me not getting my point across. So, I proceeded to lick my mom's hand. Funny, but not my best moment.... My face was very swollen, and dad took that as an oppertune picture time. Good ole dad... the pics are good for a laugh now.
                                I had a reaction to the morphine, but oddly, only in my legs. It resulted in a rash that drove me nuts, and I had on those leg compressor things that keep your circulation going, so itching was a bit of an obstacle. (i know, you're not supposed to itch rashes, but i didn't!! I had mommy do it!!)
                                One night, I had a nightmare nurse...it was the middle of the night, and I was thirsty, so she brought me an ice water. I was on heavy drugs (morphine) and fell aleep, spilling the drink on on myself. (on top of an already cold hospital.) I couldnt get up on my own, and she was not responding to my calls.
                                When she finally did come in, she gave me a new blanket, but would not remove the old one or get me dry clothes. She said "its good for you to be cold, it fights germs," and then walked away.
                                Well, I passed out again, and when I woke, i found that miss sunshine had moved my automatic drip button and machine out of my reach, and the pain was so intense I could hardly breathe.
                                The next morning when my mom got there, we reported all of this to my doctor, who promptly did whatever he had to do to get her fired. Needless to say, I was very happy to go home, and parents, if you can, room in with your kids. The hospital I was at did not allow it, but some do!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X