Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its not as scary as it seems

Hi Boo,

I just had the surgery just about two weeks ago. Let me tell you, its really not that scary. When I first heard that the brace didn't work for me and that surgery was recommended, I was freaked out. I was depressed because I have never had surgery before. Turns out, the closer I got to the day of my surgery, the more excited and anxious I was. I went in positive and optimistic, because you just have to be. Went in on the 28th of June to Vanderbilt Childrens hospital and they put me on the IV and sent me back within a matter of minutes. The next thing I remember was the mask over my face and the doctors telling me to breathe deep. I couldn't have been anymore relaxed. What seemed like 5 minutes that I was asleep and having really good dreams, was actually about 4 to 5 hours. Then I came out of surgery, they put me into recovery and I really didn't have any pain. Just stiffness, and I felt like I was a pancake, just flat and all...but it wasn't that bad. I stayed in the hospital for a week, and that week was probably the easiest. Came home on saturday and took it easy. I'm limited to my abilities, can't drive for about 6 weeks, but its almost like a vacation...I don't have to pick up after myself. The whole thing was the easiest thing I have ever gone through, crazy as it may seem, it was a breeze. And I am sure you will be taken very good care of. Just do what the doctors tell you, take it easy, and don't stress about the surgery. If you stay positive and optimistic, everything will go great. I couldn't be happier, and I don't really have pain, just stiffness, but it will all go away in time and its not as scary as it seems. Really. And if you want to know anything else, please ask me. I am here for ya. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you soooo much! Iglad it has been good for u. I had some grat news today that I am going into a brittish championship 4 fencing (sword fighting) and i could fence for England if I win. Plus I havent been doing it for a year yet! Any hoo after the op every thing can go bak 2 normal.

see ya!
      40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

wow! that is so awesome. I think sword fencing is just awesome. I would love to be given the chance to do that. I am so happy for you too! I hope your op goes great, you will do really good. I have found that looking forward to something big helps a lot. So hopefully your recovery will go fast and you will be able to continue fencing!

Comment

Hi Boo, what is your favourite weapon, my personal favourite is Epee even though I get very bruised from it :-). Is the British fencing championship before or after your operation. Just keep this is mind with fencing, you probably will be restricted in it for at least 3 months as with all the lunges and attacks it's not good for a recovering spine as you have to stretch out, bounce about etc. Once you are past the restrictions bit you will have little problem with fencing (you fencing side will build up lots muscle wise but personally except for that, I haven't experienced any physical fencing problems. Well done on making the British championships I know how tough it is to get there (and for doing it /less than a year you must be very very good)

Hi Drivergal
          This is just my curiosity being curious, was your fusion double/single and is it long/short (number of vertebrae)

Alison

Comment

The comp will b after the op. I know that I wont b able 2 fence 4 at least 3 months but I am going to watch. My teacher was really upset wen he herd I was having the op and said that I was his secret weapond. Any way we are going to a junior comp so it wont be that hard. I've only done 1 comp and I won! I'll b getting my medal on monday.

I will make sure to do plenty of swimming to build up my mucles too.

Ps i have been fighting with a full size heavy foil so when I go to the comp it will be alot, alot easier!
            40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Congratulations! It will be good for you to have a goal to work towards during your recovery. I hope all goes well for you.
              Best wishes.
              Cheryl

Comment

hy very one. Who ever has had surgery like ages ago could you plz tell me how long it took you 2 recover?
                40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Hi Boo,
                  Amber's surgery was 10 weeks ago tommorrow. She is back at school now. She still has limitations but hardly any pain, though she has to be careful not to overdo it.
                  Best wishes.
                  Cheryl.

Comment

It has been almost 5 years for me post op (Nov 99), now i can basically do anything I like (and have done so for the last couple of years). This is how my recovery roughly went

0-3months: all restrictions were in place, still pretty sore

3-6months: able to carry a little bit more, gentle swimming, more uncomfortable from sitting for a long time rather than pain

6-12 months: more swimming, carrying basically normally (except really heavy things, still basically no sport allowed

12 months onwards: restrictions slowly lifted, I am basically normal, do everything (except horse back riding and bungee jumping), unless people look at my back they do not know. The only place I get sore is my right shoulder where they cut a lot of muscle

After about the first couple of months I felt pretty well back to normal, but you have to keep on reminding yourself not to overdo it, and that the back is still healing, and that the mind is there, but the body not quite

I was swimming States 1.5 years post op

Alison

Comment

hi every 1! my op is 2 weeks from 2morrow, just in case I fogot to tell you my op was moved to the 10th.
                      40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Hi Boo! I saw your nickname and began reading your posts. I have two sisters who call me Boo! I haven't had surgery yet, but am headed that way. I have an almost 80 degree lumbar curve. I am 42 years old and it has progressed at about one degree/ yr. since I was first diagnosed at 23. Anyhow, I mostly wanted you to know you have another "someone" in the world who'll be saying a prayer for you come Aug. 10th. I think you're going to be very happy after your surgery. As we all know here, scoliosis ain't no picnic! Best of luck at the competition!
                        Gabrielle

Comment

Boo,

Good luck for the 10th August from Australia! I will be thinking of you! Who knows, in 4 years time we could be seeign you at the next Olympics!

Alison.. did you have a thoracoplasty? My doc told me today that he will be performing this - a little nervous to tell you the truth!

Cheryl - went to see Dr Cree today - all is well and I am on the countdown to sugery now :0

Kylie-Ann
                          Kylie-Ann
                          Australia

Surgery 14th October 2004
                          T7- L4
                          Thoracoplasty

Comment

hi, did n e one here have to buy button p.js 4 the op. I have to. And why do nurses have to turn you over every 3 hours. D they do this all through the night aswell?
                            40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Hi Boo,
                              For the first few days you can not move yourself, at all. You are either to 'out of it' with morphine or just to stiff and sore. I have photo's of the first time that the nurses helped Amber get out of bed, everyone who see's them is shocked by the pain on her face, one of my friends had tears in her eyes looking at them. They have to roll you so often because 1. you can't do it and 2. to help you not to get pressure (bed) sores. Yes they come in and roll you every few hours day and night.
                              The button P.J.'s are easier to get on and off. For the nurses as well as for yourself. I know it took quite a while before Amber could lift her arms above her head, though your surgery is not going as high as Amber's did you may not have as much trouble.
                              Best wishes for the 10th.
                              Cheryl.

Comment

Hi Boo

Just a further suggestion, try and find button up pyjamas (assuming they are two piece) that are a little bit baggy and have a drawstring with elastic waist. It means that you don't have to wear them "touching" your back, they can sit loosely (for some people this is very tender to put anything on). If I had to have the surgery again, I would definetly take button up pyjamas, I did not (I had a nightdress) and even though it was extremeley comfortable once it was on (because it kinda just hung), it took careful maneuvering to get it on and off and I kinda winced (but I was also high up, being at T2 downwards)

Hi Kylie-Ann
                                No I did not have a thoracoplasty. I have always had a rib hump (since birth), and always will, but basically a thoracoplasty was not done in my situation as my fusion was only a holding fusion (no correction-this was because of a whole number of factors), and if I remember rightly a thoracoplasty would have been very difficult (was only mentioned once in discussions) as the spine itself was no different from before.

Some people say that a thoracoplasty is very sore afterwards, but for the results that they get from it, was worth the discomfort

Alison

Comment

Working...
                                X