No announcement yet.

Vertebral Stapling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My God! You think this is an attack on dr. Betz Excuse me I retrieved that abstract from pubmed and I copied and pasted it directly from the website!! This is all about the welfare of the children!!! This has absolutely nothing to do with the doctors!! Have you read any of my posts? Have we reached a point where we can't even question "authority" and just be complacent and accept our fate? If that's the case, then we're doomed!
    Last edited by Celia; 11-20-2007, 10:32 AM.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Yes, unfortunately I HAVE read your posts - like the one I mentioned earlier where you stated on another forum that the doctors who perform vertebral staplings were trying to "immortalize" themselves by performing experimental surgeries on children.

It's not the first time you've taken cheap shots like that either.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Maria,

Darling don't waste your time or engergy ~ it's not worth it. You and I both know (as do many others) the specifics regarding these "initial" stapling findings and therefore you and I are able to advise parents based on real experiences with the procedure and real communication with the surgeons we're not just giving them info from articles we've read 10,000,000,000,000,000 times.

We all know (as do thousands of others) that Dr. Betz, his entire staff and shriners in general is a wonderful facility with people who really care these people are there because they want to help better the lives of children they are the leaders in research but someone who's never actually been there and met these people wouldn't know that.

I honestly couldn't make any comments about the docs in Montreal because I don't know them and have never been to their facility. I also wouldn't dare tell anyone that Spinecor doesn't work because there are so many failures that I've read about or that spinecore is a crock because eventhough many children have great "in brace" results the initial curve is still there when the brace comes off (because we all know that a brace will not correct a curve) so essentially kiddos who wear spinecore for 6+ yrs still have scoliosis when their done growing. Or do I dare tell people that putting your child in a plaster cast or hard brace is immoral or unethical ~ nope I would never say that to anyone ~ since I don't know I just keep quiet and allow each parent to make their own choices based on their own beliefs.

Save your time and energy for the VBS support site.

Hugs to you ~ A

Celia ~ please read below what a parent emailed me privately ~ you really are doing an injustice which is the complete opposite of what a "support group" is suppossed to be.

"I had been reading the posts from Celia on the scoliosis forum & it was really upsetting/frustrating and I just want to thank you for stepping in to Stephanie's aid. I am so grateful that you and Maria have started the support group for us - away from here! I am so glad to be part of your group - this would just stress me out beyond belief if it was the only place I could have turned to. I have never joined the scoliosis forum and I probably never will. My son registered to correspond with some kids in boston braces, but I am not letting him back on. He does not need to have anyone make him any more nervous than he already is.
        I am not sure how you find the time and energy you make for our VBS support group - but I am truly grateful that you do!
        Thank you so much. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!"
        Last edited by amandap; 11-20-2007, 11:07 AM.
        Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
        Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
        Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
        Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
        Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
        26 Degree Post Op Curve
        Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
        Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
        YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

This is becoming comical! Just know I love you both and I know you mean well! Your kids are doing great!

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

There is NOTHING comical about you misinforming parents and scaring them with your often inaccurate, one-sided views. Some of these kids could really benefit from the vertebral stapling - an option which some of the best orthos in the country (Boachie, Skaggs, Emans, etc.) are now recommending as a VERY viable and desirable option.

Luckily, I hear from parents every day who are far to wise not to do their OWN homework.
            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Am I confused or something because there was nothing comical in my post ~ Maria do you see something I posted as comical? I've read and re-read my post and nope I see no humor in my post whatsoever. Just some heartfelt advice to my dear friend.

Hugs ~ A
              Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
              26 Degree Post Op Curve

Comment

Nope, nothing comical. But sometimes folks use lines like that when they can no longer find ways to defend their inaccurate and misleading views.

Big hugs,
                mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Well if you can't see the humour in this, then I guess the next best thing is to just cry.

Canadian eh

Comment

The humor in what?

What's funny about parents trying to decide which form of treatment is best for their child?

For God's sake, have a little compassion for these new parents. I know that when David was first diagnosed, I found NOTHING funny in the situation.

Were you laughing when you were considering options for Deirdre?
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Oh, I get it ~ all of these posts/remarks/sarcasm, etc. from Celia have all been jokes and she never meant any of what she was say saying it was all one HUGE GIGANTIC VERY LONG ONGOING JOKE just to get a rise out of people who really care. Sorry but NO I don't see the humor in it.

I honestly don't think it's funny to mess with one's emotions but everyone has their own sense of humor (I guess). I find nothing humorous or comical about anyone having to face the ups and downs of dealing with scoliosis nor do I find the turmoil we as parents face when having to make a difficult choice of surgery or bracing for our children very funny. Personally I find everything dealing with scoliosis difficult and just downright serious.

~A
                      Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                      26 Degree Post Op Curve

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf
                        The humor in what?
                        Hello...Amanda's post! Our little discussion means NOTHING!!!! People make their own decisions and what we say in this little box is our way of venting our anguish, frustrations etc. etc. I try not to take myself too seriously and I suggest you both do the same.

Canadian eh

Comment

Hello...Amanda's post! Our little discussion means NOTHING!!!!

To you it may mean nothing but to new parents trying to read and learn your comments frighten them before they know all the facts. Oh, and I don't take you seriously because I know better but "newbies" don't and they really do put alot of trust in people who've been through this and when they ask they really are looking for real people and real support.
                          Last edited by amandap; 11-20-2007, 03:14 PM.
                          Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                          26 Degree Post Op Curve

Comment

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                            Hello...Amanda's post! Our little discussion means NOTHING!!!! People make their own decisions and what we say in this little box is our way of venting our anguish, frustrations etc. etc. I try not to take myself too seriously and I suggest you both do the same.
                            Celia,

Please save your humor for private e-mails to your friends. The stakes are too high here.

I thought you had the big "moral conscience". But you see nothing wrong with toying with the emotions of a parent whose child was just diagnosed with scoliosis?

Amanda and I don't have anguish or frustration over our decisions - but if you do, please find another place to vent rather than frightening the new parent who comes here looking for support.

OH, AND NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN PEOPLE CAN MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS?

HOW FUNNY OF YOU TO SAY THAT. A FEW MONTHS AGO YOU WERE ACCUSING AMANDA AND I OF PERSUADING PARENTS TO HAVE THEIR KIDS UNDERGO EXPERIMENTAL SURGERY (YOU KNOW, OUR VESTED INTEREST AND ALL THAT). NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT AND REALIZE THAT PEOPLE ARE SMART ENOUGH TO MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS.
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Well....I was trying to keep the discussion serious until Amanda's post! Sorry. Re-read it for yourself if you don't see the humour. Obviously my posts are hitting a brick wall so I'm not even going to bother. Your perception of reality is different from mine so let's just agree to disagree and move forward. End of story!

Canadian eh

Comment

Well said Maria ~ Thank you.
                                Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                                26 Degree Post Op Curve

Comment

Working...
                                X