Minnesota Brace!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Brace!

I was just wondering if anyone here is or was wearing a Minnesota brace. This is the brace that I am getting on Monday and am going to be wearing for 23/24 hours. I am just going in for the plaster cast. I was just curious because I don't hear many people talking about this type of brace. Also if anyone has any tips on braces in general that would be awesome! Thanks! I had posted this in the bracing section but no one replied so I thought I would try it in here. Thanks again!!!

ellie
    Minnesota Brace
    Curves: 27T/32L
    ~ ~

Dear Ellie!

I have never heared of a Minnesota brace neither, sorry. But you also wanted to hear general things about braces.

You *just* have 32 and 27 °. In a "good" brace the curves have to be corrected (nearly) completely. That is to say, on an X-ray of you in the brace, no/hardly any curve can be seen any more. An Austrian researcher made a study and the conclusion was that only braces which corrected the curve for more than 40 % (and curves below 30 to 40 degrees should be corrected (nearly) 100 %) can stop scolioses and make it better. The next thing he found out was that the brace has to be worn for more than 20 hours a day in order to improve the curve.

One of the most common mistakes is that wearing the brace is stopped too early. Many doctors say that one can stop wearing it after you have finished growing. However, this is not the full truth. Also when your bones stopped growing, they are not fixed yet. It is necessary to wear the brace for 4 to 5 years after growing is finished in order not to endanger the improvement of the curve.

Hope this helps.

best regards,
    Lilith

Comment

Hi. I knew that it was supposed to help correct it but I did not know you were supposed to wear it for 4 or 5 years. My doctor said I would wear it only for maybe 2 years but maybe a little more. I still haven't learned much though I know what it looks like now cuz I went for my appointment with the othotist so he could make the cast of my body(he showed me what one would look like). All I know is that it is a low profile but that's about it.Thanks for your help!!

ellie
      Minnesota Brace
      Curves: 27T/32L
      ~ ~

Comment

Working...
      X