Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Boachie Nominated for CNN Heroes Tribute

Hello all,

I nominated my daughter's surgeon, Dr. Boachie at HSS, for this special on CNN, and I just heard back from the producers that he's been selected as a possible finalist! The producer asked me if I knew of any other people who would be willing to speak to CNN about their experiences with Dr. Boachie. It could be patients, nurses, parents, anyone. I know he's made a difference in so many lives. If you want to help get him on the show, please send me a PM with your email address and or phone number, and I will pass it on to the producer. She asked that I try to get her some other names within 72 hours.

Thanks for your help!
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Dr. Boachie Nominated for CNN Heroes Tribute

P.S. Forgot to include the link to the show:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/cnn.heroes/
    Last edited by susannajon; 10-18-2007, 04:43 PM. Reason: Forgot the title
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

From all that I have heard about this incrediable Doctor, I wish I was someone that could give first hand knowledge of his successes regarding his commitment to those of us with scoliosis!!!

There are serveral people on this forum that he has helped, and I respect their opinions and surgical outcomes!!! Also his commitment to helping the less fortunate people around the world!!!

What a difference he has made in our world!!!

He gets my vote,
      Shari

Comment

Keep us posted

If you can, please keep us posted and let us know when his profile will appear. Thanks!
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Boachie on CNN

Hi,

I will certainly try to keep you guys in the loop. I just need to hear from other Boachie patients. I know you are out there! CNN doesn't need you to be on the show, they just need to talk to you and hear why our wonderful Dr. Boachie deserves to be on the show. Thanks to those of you who have PM'd.

xoxo

Susanna
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~

Comment

Hi, my doctor is Dr. Boachie, and I was wondering --- did he win? Or get in one of the top spots?

Thanks!
            braceyourself.

Comment

I'm sure this is going to go over like a lead balloon, but I take issue with a surgeon (operating in the U.S.) who doesn't take insurance - yet performs surgeries in another country gratis.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the facts. (not questioning his talents ... just the distribution of talents - and the out of pocket cost)

(and, Singer, this is EXACTLY why I didn't respond to your post on my "freecycle your post surgery crap" thread ... I will NEVER send *sh** abroad with a surgeon who doesn't work within the system HERE)
              Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-27-2008, 04:16 PM.
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi...

Dr. Boachie is Ghanian, and I believe he practices in the U.S. so that he can help people in his native country. Without Dr. Boachie, Ghanian citizens would have no option for treatment. Those of us lucky enough to live in the U.S. and have health insurance, usually have plenty of options.

I can almost guarantee that if you knew Dr. Boachie, you wouldn't fault him for trying to do what he can to help his native country. He's got about the most pure heart of anyone I've ever had the privilege to know.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda, did I state the facts incorrectly? No conjecture, please.

I was REALLY hoping someone would step in and tell me "Pam, you are SO full of sh**".

And there are *plenty* of people here - they're referred to as the working poor - who have little or no options for treatment. They have no liquid assets, just insurance ... if *that*.

Again, I take issue with a surgeon - no matter how talented or "pure of heart" - who butters his bread HERE (on private pay patients) so he can operate elsewhere.
                  Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Yes, you are correct. Dr. Boachie does not accept insurance reimbursement, and spends a lot of time in Ghana and Barbados, performing scoliosis surgeries gratis. Note, just because he does not accept insurance reimbursement, does not mean patients have to pay for their own surgeries. Insurance companies provide "out of network" reimbursement, so patients only have to pay the difference.
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Txmarinemom

I agree with you. I am sure Dr. Boachie is a great doctor but I am reading all of these great things about him and always thought. What about the people here, in this country, that gave him his opportunity? When people are allowed to enter and live in this country, they get a lot of American government assistance, American taxpayers foot the bill for all the free things, like free or very low cost educations, food stamps credits and discounted child care and much more) they should show their appreciation here. People shouldn’t have to mortgage their house to pay a doctors bill. There are many people in American sick and suffering without proper medical care. Doctors living and educated in American are going out of the country to treat people. They don’t need to travel to help people there plenty of people here.
                      Sue

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
                        ... Note, just because he does not accept insurance reimbursement, does not mean patients have to pay for their own surgeries. Insurance companies provide "out of network" reimbursement, so patients only have to pay the difference.
                        Really.

I suppose that's why if you search these forums (in advanced mode) with (no quotes) "Boachie insurance" you'll find several stories of how poorly his American patients (with insurance) are treated by his staff ...

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

I had surgery with Dr. Boachie a year ago and my insurance paid 100%!! I went into it not knowing how much I would owe, and it turned out I didn't owe a penny. Dr. Boachie is extremely compassionate and caring-I don't fault him for his stance on insurance. I just encourage people to proceed with their out of network insurance coverage-it is worth the "risk", believe me. I had a tremendous outcome to the surgery and would feel like it was worth it if I had to make payments to him for the rest of my life.

Comment

For the record, he also completely wrote off the balance of my out-of-pocket surgery expenses when I requested that they be reduced.
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Just to put my two cents in -

We live in NY and when my infant son was first diagnosed with scoliosis back in 2000, Boachie's office was one of the first I called (based on reputation - we later decided not to go with him because his practice seemed more focused on teens and adults, revisions, etc.)

Anyway, when I called to make the appt. (which we never kept), his receptionist said curtly and as if she was trying to discourage me "oh, well it's $600 for a consultation with him and you'll have to pay out of pocket because he won't take insurance".

Nice. Very nice.

What if I didn't HAVE $600?? I live in this country (where he makes a nice living by the way) so I'm outta luck?

After dealing with Shriners these past four years, Boachie's policy makes me even more disgusted. If Boachie is a hero, then what is somebody like Dr. Betz who asks for NOTHING for his services??? Not from ANY of his patients - regardless of where they live, if they have insurance, etc.

In addition, and much more disturbing, was a thread on here a few years ago about a child who was in traction in preparation for surgery with Boachie, and his office threatened to cancel the surgery if the mom didn't obtain in writing from their insurance company the dollar amount that would be paid to Boachie. The mom was able to get a "percent" but that wasn't good enough. They wanted a dollar amount. The desparate mother retorted that she would sell her house if there was any shortage on what her insurance paid. To which the lady from Boachie's office replied "yeah, everybody says that". Gee, she must have spoken to the same gal I did.

Sorry, but based on the above, how could I POSSIBLY support his nomination as a hero?
                              Last edited by mariaf; 01-28-2008, 08:42 AM.
                              mariaf305@yahoo.com
                              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X