Goin in Wednesday--please check my checklist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goin in Wednesday--please check my checklist

Hi everyone. The toilet seat has been purchased, the grabbers secured, lights near my bed with the switch on the chord are in place. Got a cane, a tv tray and a breakfast in bed tray. Got a shower stool and a corner standing shower caddy. In posts I just read, I'm hearing that I should get some reusable ice packs. I've had a series of trusty heating pads for years already. I have pillows a plenty and extra blankets. Even a new cordless tea kettle to streamline the tea making process. Got a little notebook to keep track of meds, and a pill caddy--you know, a guy to follow me around all day with my drugs to tell which ones to take when. I keed. But come to think of it, my father will likely do that the first couple of weeks.

Is there anything I'm forgetting that you think I will need?

In case I hadn't already mentioned it--the automatic cat litter box that I bought to solve the problem of not being able to scoop the poop for months is a dream machine. I could not recommend it more highly. The litter robot.
    Age 33
    40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
    Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
    Corrected to 8 degrees

Holly-you sound well prepared. If you can get a large ice pad/pack, I would highly recommend it. I got mine from the rehab where I went after the hospital. I used it constanly in the rehab to help me sleep & at home too.
    I have since passed it on to another forum member!
    good luck with your surgery & recovery. Lynne

Comment

Going in on Wednesday

9/30/07

Dear Sheguiles,

Thank you for sharing the useful items list-- many of which we may have not thought about ahead of time. Our 25 year old daughter's surgery is scheduled for Monday, Oct. 29th at Lenox Hill Hospital in NYC with Dr. Antonacci.

Will keep you in prayers. May all go well for you in every way.
      Look forward to hearing how you are doing.

bjmk18

Comment

Don't forget chapstick! Keep it within reach at the hospital and at home. Best of luck to you!
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Remember the baby wipes!

Good Luck to you, dear! They will give you laxatives at the hospital and you'll have to keep that all regulated after you get home, and I liked feeling clean during that time. And you might have night sweats, so you might keep a couple of extra gowns nearby. The hospital gave me the eggshell mattress I slept on and I really liked the cushion it gave me. God Bless... Lisa
          Lisa age 47
          T curve 69 degrees
          L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
          fused to from T-3 to sacrum
          anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
          pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

The TV remote. It will be a while before you can think about using your brain for anything beyond staring mindlessly at the tube. I keep a small basket on my bedtable with hand cream, chapstick, dental floss, fingernail file, travel size packet of hand wipes. I also kept a basket on the bed next to me with drugs, tissues, and bagged snacks, and a small cooler with extra bottles of water (I'm always thirsty). After the first week or so I didn't always have someone with me to "fetch," so you might not need all of this. We'll be cheering for you.
            FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
            10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
            8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
            5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
            2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
            3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

facial wipes to keep your face clean at hospital and home. They came in handy for my son. Best wishes for a successful, uncomplicated surgery and recovery.

Renee

Comment

Sounds good Holly - I can't believe your time is here! I hope you are feeling good and ready to do this.
                I'd second the chapstick, ice pack(s), wipes, laxatives, and remote. I really craved fruit when I got home, and I've heard that from others. So things like little packaged applesauces, mixed fruit or peaches or pears, and jello or pudding are great to have, besides being handy to eat while taking meds. I also got a large wedge pillow that I still can't sleep without, but you may have a different preference.
                Can't wait to hear from you in the future!
                31 year old female
                55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Excellent suggestions!

I'll follow up each one!

I don't know what I'd do without you guys.

Holly
                  Age 33
                  40 degree diagnosed 1993; 70ish degree 2007
                  Fusion to T9 to L5 October 3, 2007 with Dr. Kurt Von Rueden
                  Corrected to 8 degrees

Comment

I've got a list of DVD's and TV series that I want to borrow for watching during my recovery. I've sent it out to my friends to ask them to bring them, or any others that they think I might like. It's true, you don't feel like doing anything other than watch mind numbing TV!
                    I also have a notebook which I'll put a list of things that people can do for me when I'm not well, including things to help reassure me when I'm stressing out and in pain.
                    Best wishes for your surgery!
                    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
                    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
                    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
                    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Put a couple weeks worth of your favorite meals in the freezer. Then you will be able to zap them in a microwave and have them when you don't have any help. Stock up on your favorite comfort foods. The meds used during and after surgery can make you constipated, so have something on hand for that. My daughter and I both used yogurt for that problem. It helps to get your stomach back in shape faster. Good luck
                      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I've skimmed this so I don't know if someone already mentioned it - but you'll need bendy straws! They are life savers for drinking and you will drink A LOT!!! I have this amazing icepack (am wearing it right now) that has a strap to go around your waist (or wherever) so you can wear it even if you're not sitting or laying down. It is truly a blessing.

I would also put together a list of emergency/contact numbers for those helping you out - including where your pharmacy is, etc.

Best of luck,
                        Anya
                        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Don't forget laxatives and stool softeners - I used Senokot and CVS brand stool softeners. Make sure you get laxatives as soon as get out of surgery remind your nurses. For the hospital you may want to have a few pairs of shorts to wear under your hospital gown. When I was in the hospital I wore three gowns because every gown was missing at least 1 string so I had to tie strings from all 3 together to keep myself covered when I had to get up or walk in the hallway. My roommate had a pair of shorts so she didn't have to worry about covering up. There were always visitors and construction workers in the halls - the hospital was being and still is being remodeling and the room next to mine was being redone so we had a bunch of construction men outside our room they did stare at me everytime I came out of my room to walk, so I had to make sure I was always covered. Another thing about the hospital since the construction was going on next door from my room we had to listen to jack hammers and a bunch of banging for a good part of the day.

Sue

Comment

Regarding laxatives: the Rolls Royce of laxatives, in my book, is MiraLax. It's the only one that works for me without making me feel weird. Ask for it as soon as you're conscious and/or mobile enough to worry about such things.
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

HAHAHAHA! Rolls Royce of laxatives!!!! TOO Funny!
                              Sonia
                              58*
                              Surgery 6/29/07
                              T3-L4

Comment

Working...
                              X